Second Surgery Info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dano

Scheduled for a valve replacement surgery on 1/14/03. This is the second, the first was 6/19/01. We used a homograft valve as part of an anuersym repair. That valve is now leaking pretty severely (3+). Just wondering if anybody has had a second surgery and if there is any information they can share on what to expect the second time around. Does the chest cut act differently, longer / shorter time to recover, more susceptible to infection, etc. We'll be replacing with a St. Jude, so any advice on how to deal with the clicking and/or Coumadin would also be appreciated. Figure those will just be things to deal with. At this point, I'm planning for activities, return to work, etc based on my initial experience and just wondering if that is correct.

Dano,
First good luck on your upcoming surgery.
I can't speak about second surgeries but Iv'e had my St. Jude mechanical since July of '96.
I really don't hear any clicking like a lot of people.
The only time I hear anything is at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. It is kind of like if you are laying on your chest in bed and can hear your heart 'thumping'.
It does take some getting used to but I'd be really worried if I didn't hear it.
The Coumadin has been no problem, you just have to have your blood checked on a regular basis and try to maintain a reasonbly consistent lifestyle.
You certainly are at the right place for info and I'm sure you will get many responses from the great people on this site.

Given your first surgery was so recent, I doubt you'd notice much difference in recovery, etc.

There may be others who have had their operations closer together that could comment.

I noticed my recover took longer and everything seemed a little tougher, but I attribute that to having my first op in my early 20's and my second in my mid-30's.

Sorry to hear you have to go through it again so soon.
I suppose the redeeming factor is that you won't likely have the same potential for wearout with the mechanical.
Kev

Dano,

I will probably be having a second surgery sometime this year. I had the Ross Procedure performed 2 years ago but my new aortic valve started leaking 4 months after the surgery due to leaflet prolapse. My surgeon, who happened to be Arnold Schwartzenegger's surgeon, said that my recovery would be the same as it was after the first one. My recovery was very rapid after my first surgery. I think a lot has to do with what kind of shape you are in prior to the surgery. I never had any symptoms and was running 4 miles a day, 6 days a week and weight training.
There are a number of people on this site who have had multiple surgeries. I remember reading a post by pegne who has had 3 surgeries. I believe she said they actually got easier.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Latest posts

Back