Second open heart surgery to replace aortic valve - first surgery was on Sept '14

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi,
I did have a OHS back in Sept 2014 to repair my aortic valve and replace of my ascending aorta. With the post operation followup with my cardiologist, he was not happy with the outcome of the surgery and waited to see 6 months ECHO. My 6 month ECHO showing a moderate to severe leak with enlarged left ventricle.

My cardiologist is recommending for second surgery to replace the leacking aortic valve. I'm just shattered and scared on the outcome and risks associated with second surgery. I'm now 37 year old and having a young family.
As always if you can share your experience or guidence for the second OHS to replace the aortic valve and second post surgery life expectation, choosing mechanical valve and complications, it would be great and helpful for the preparation.

Between, post my first surgery (At Cleveland clinic) ~10 months now, i'm doing okay but not normal as i have mild symptoms like shortness of breath, irregular heart beats and weakness.

Appreciate your support here!!

-Teju

It's a little ironic that I saw your post this evening. I just got back from my post operative checkup with my surgeon following my second OHS. My first was in November 2011 (at age 59) for aortic valve replacement. Last fall I was told my aortic root was enlarged and needed to be monitored, in May, the doctor said it was time for surgery. So on May 12th, I had aortic root replacement with a new aortic valve. While the surgery itself was more exciting (because of some issues getting a stable heart beat post surgery, they left my chest open for about a day to stabilize me) than my first, the recovery, if anything, has been easier. I'm now walking about 2.5 miles per day and got cleared to resume driving and go back to work today.

For me, having the knowledge from my last recovery made this one easier since I knew what to expect and how hard I could push myself. I'm sure everyone's experience is different, but mine has been pretty good.

Teju, I don't have experience with multiple surgeries but wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you. It's terribly unfair to have to go through everything again - especially so soon after the first time. I'm sure you will still have a long and happy life once your heart is properly fixed.

One of the surgeons I consulted with told me about one of his patients who just had their 7th heart surgery - she was in her 70s - and she was doing just fine. (She was one of the unusual people with a body chemistry that calcified tissue valves rapidly.) After hearing that, and reading people's experiences here, my back-up plan was a mechanical valve. Ultimately you need to choose what you feel comfortable with.

Hi,
Thank you very much for the inputs. Yes, the information definitely boost my energy and am damm scared and worried. My surgery scheduled on Aug 10th 2015. Hope to get the smooth surgery and recovery.

Thanks again,
Teju

Back