Second OHS to replace aortic valve - first surgery was on Sept '14

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi,
I did have a OHS back in Sept 2014 to repair my aortic valve and replace of my ascending aorta. With the post operation followup with my cardiologist, he was not happy with the outcome of the surgery and waited to see 6 months ECHO. My 6 month ECHO showing a moderate to severe leak with enlarged left ventricle.

My cardiologist is recommending for second surgery to replace the leacking aortic valve. I'm just shattered and scared on the outcome and risks associated with second surgery. I'm now 37 year old and having a young family.
As always if you can share your experience or guidence for the second OHS to replace the aortic valve and second post surgery life expectation, choosing mechanical valve and complications, it would be great and helpful for the preparation.

Between, post my first surgery (At Cleveland clinic) ~10 months now, i'm doing okay but not normal as i have mild symptoms like shortness of breath, irregular heart beats and weakness.

Appreciate your support here!!

-Teju

Teju
while I am happy to see you again, its very sad to read of your situation.

I am wondering why there is a leak, is this a leak from around the valve (paravalvular) or something else?

As I have no direct experience with this (never happened to me) I did a quick search on the options and found this page:
http://www.escardio.org/Guidelines-...ication-after-implantation-of-prosthetic-valv

section C on treatment was encouraging.

Have Cleveland clinic said anything about the issue yet?

I notice for myself that I have occasionally skipped beats, perhaps this is unrelated?

Anyway as you know I've had a few surgeries (two as an adult and one as a child) and each time I've bounced back. I know that it requires commitment and effort but somehow I find that my need and desire to be stronger and healthier are perhaps fostered by my setbacks? I can say that I do better than my relatives who are "normal" as they are being destroyed by their lifestyles.

feel free to chat or PM me to skype if you want an "ear" any time

best wishes

Hi,
Thank you for your response and pointer to the information on paravalvular issue.
However, my leak is from the repaired aortic valve. My cardiologist sent report to Cleveland and the surgeon recommended for second surgery.

My surgery is planned on Aug 10th, but due to my job uncertainty i'm still yet to decide on date.

Yes, i do have skipped beats and once they come my BP goes for a task and it takes lot of time to recover.

Your experience and recovery is really an inspiration for me and hope to fix this issue asap. And also in recent past i started experience the symptoms of shortness of breath, dizziness and numbness.

it would be great if you can share your experience on second surgery and recovery and post surgery life.

Thanks again!!
Teju

I had my aortic valve replaced with St. Jude's Valve and can live with the coumadin(warafrin). I test once a month, more if either I get an irregular INR or if on antibotics. Otherwise, can pretty much be as active as I want to be. And with the mechanical valve, less likely to have a replacement so quickly. With a tissue valve, you may to replace in ten years. And there are other options for this out there. You lurk further and see the other options here. Good luck and think hard before you make the final choice. It is your choice. Good luck and keep us updated. Hugs for today.

I had my aortic valve replaced with St. Jude's Valve and can live with the coumadin(warafrin). I test once a month, more if either I get an irregular INR or if on antibotics. Otherwise, can pretty much be as active as I want to be. And with the mechanical valve, less likely to have a replacement so quickly. With a tissue valve, you may to replace in ten years. And there are other options for this out there. You lurk further and see the other options here. Good luck and think hard before you make the final choice. It is your choice. Good luck and keep us updated. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back