Seattle Seafair Marathon is a go ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Well I am less then one month out from the marathon now. Last month I ran 141.6 miles and if I stay on my training plan, I should step that up to about 150 miles for the month of June. This thursday I'll run my longest training run; 20 miles, then start tapering down for the marathon on July 10th.

It has been a wearing couple of months trying to train with so much going on around me. My daughter graduates from High School next Monday. Then the marathon is in July. Then my other daughter is getting married on the beach in Oregon on the 12th of July. And too top it off, one of my other daughters is going to have baby in November. Oh, and I almost forgot, my youngest daughter made the high school cheer squad and is going to camp in the next couple of weeks. Let's see, 1,2,3,4, that's all my daughters. (Now you see why I always keep my shotgun cleaned up and ready!! :) You know my two boys are out and on their own. I use to hike and camp, now I have to go to the mall for entertainment. :(

This will be marathon number four, and my first one here in my home state of Washington. This year I will be running the marathon in rememberance of a one time very close friend of mine, whom was killed in Iraq by a sucide bomber around 2 months ago. I admit this one broke my heart something terrible. His name is Glen Watkins. He left a wife and four children. Glen was my assigned gunner on a tank crew around 7 years ago. He was a very strong Christian man, whom when the tank would stop rolling, and we would stand down for a period of time, you could find Glen off alone with his Bible open, or a head set on while he listen to Christian music. If you needed a volunteer he was the first to step up to the front. He did his tour in Iraq, then volunteered to extend for six additional months. He made it around 90 days. He died while manning a 60 cal machine gun on patrol. Four soldiers whom were with him were wounded. The next time you look at our flag, and you see the red stripes, please remember Glen, and the many brave men and women whom volunteer to serve, so people like you and me, can freely go about our lives; working, enjoying our famlies, and running marathons in peace. Sorry for my long explanation. I miss knowing I'll not see him. I just wish I could have told him how much of an inspiration he was to me. Please keep his wife Ann and their four children in your prayers.

Take care you all ... Mark

Sheesh Mark, sounds like you need some family to keep you busy. Must get pretty boring having nothing to do all the time huh? :D

Sounds great! Keep us up to speed when you think you might be able too.

Mark, I will remember Glen. It makes me so sad when I hear of these young men who gave their lives when they still have so much living to do. Seems we lose the good ones faster, somehow.

Thanks for stopping by to tell us of your upcoming run. Best wishes as you travel on.

Your family sounds so well rounded. I think you and your dear wife have done an excellent job. Kept you busy all these years, didn't it - still does. Enjoy the malls.

Mark -

So sorry about your buddy Glen.

It's good to hear from you again. I've been wondering what you're up to. Good luck w/ the marathon. With all your experience, you must be getting pretty good at managing pace, heart rate, hydration, etc. I'm hoping you come back with a post about a PR!

Mark, I'm deeply saddened to hear about your friend Glen. Its so sad. To be so young and to leave behind so many in his family is such a tragedy. We are truly blessed to have so many US soldiers protecting our freedom and the freedom of many others. Glen's loss of life is a huge tragedy to his family and to our great nation. May he rest in peace and may he know that others will hold him near and dear to their hearts..

God Bless
Marilyn (runner)

Mark,

You are an inspiration and I'm sure you will see your friend again. I just hope it's not too soon. I'm also sure he knows how you feel about him.

God bless and do your best for your buddy in this marathon!

- John

Mark,
Appreciate and be thankful for every day we are given. Hang in there and good luck with your final race preparations.
MarkU

Thank you for the comments and encouragement. One edit, my daughter actually will be getting married on August 12 not July 12. Training is going good; and my daughter walked across the stage last night getting her diploma! Two more to go!!

Latest posts

Back