Scar saga 2: the tale continues!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mara

So, I went to see the plastic surgeon this morning about my giant, yuky, keloid-hypertrophic scar. She shot it full of some steroid called kenalog (sp?). Ouch! That really, really, REALLY hurts!

I am back in 6 weeks for a follow-up and probably another injection. I'll keep you posted. Right now I have a silicone pad on it. Which she said really helps if you put it on just after surgery. So, new post-op folks check in to getting some. I wish I had done that immediatley post-op, then I probably wouldn't need these injections.

Anyone else have this procedure done?
-Mara

hi mara!
so sorry to hear you are still struggling with that darn scar!
yes, i have heard of getting a shot of kenalog (a steroid). it is used for many things, one of them is to treat scars.
joey's dermo said that it would be his last resort and then prescribed him some med that was supposed to dry out the scar. way too sticky and so joey used it only twice!
his scar is, fortunately, looking better (some spots are actually starting to smooth out, others are still inflamed and tough).
i will be sure to let him know_should he ever decide to do the shots_ that they are painful. how many shots did you get?
i hope you see a difference after this pain! please let us know.
stay well,
sylvia

hi Mara

hi Mara

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your scar ...hope it starts improving now
what is a silicone pad?

How is your Hubby doing?..
Any word on your trip to Scotland ?
Take care
Scottie

Thanks Sylvia and Scottie

Sylvia, the plastic surgeon injected the whole length of the scar, so many, many injections. It was very painful and then hurt for about 3 hours afterward, even though she injected it with a topical anesthetic.

Scottie,
Well, we were supposed to go to Scotland for David's cousin's wedding a the end of June, but the immigration service won't let David travel outside the US while his green card is pending. Damn terrorists!
So, we are going to try to get over at Christmastime.
A silicone pad: The ones the plastic surgeon gave me are called Epi-Derm Silicone gel sheeting. It is like a sheet of plastic mesh coated on both sides by silicone. Supposedly, it is really supposed help scars once the incision is closed and the sutures removed. I wish I had know about it right after my surgery. I can just cut a strip of it the size of my scar and then place it on there and secure it with some paper tape. Hopefully, these pads and the injections will mean that I won't need a revision (surgery) on the scar. This keloid has been very painful, itchy and really bugs me, especially at night.

-Mara

Have been hearing about some sort of laser removal for scaring? I am sure they did not mean an OHS scar? Can you imagine. Man, we would all come running!

Janie-
Yah the injections hurt like everything. But, the itching and soreness was driving me crazy. I can stand the bumpy appearance, but the itchy, sore feeling was too much.
We'll see what comes next. So far so good.

Gina.
I have never heard of laser scar removal. I wonder if it works the same as laser tattoo removal? You know, they shoot that laser at it and it breaks up the tattoo. It might work.

Ouch!

Ouch!

Wow..you have had a terrible time, Mara!!! I was more fortunate than I realized! My scar became a thin line and the itching stopped in the appropriate time frame.

Sounds like some medical people need sewing lessons..lol. Goodluck, Mara, I hope you get relief without too much more pain!!!!!

Zipper/Joan

Ugly big, red keloid scar even after 20 months.

Ugly big, red keloid scar even after 20 months.

After 20 months post-op my keloid scar has gotten a bit better, but still looks red and thick at the bottom. The top part doesn't look as thick but still looks red. Itching wasn't much of a problem until recently, but now it drives me crazy at times and wakes me up
But reading about the expierence Mara had with the injections and how painful they were, I am not sure I want to do that.
I talked to my surgeon about the scar last year and how I was thinking about going to a dermatologist and have it worked on. He told me that surgery is surgery and that once you have keloids any additional surgery will just make it worse.
Anybody heard of this?

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

PS.After my first AVR all I saw was a thin red line that looked like a cat scratch.

"Be thankful for every heart that touches you and grateful for every heart you can touch".

Latest posts

Back