Saw Palmetto interaction with Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobThatsMe

Hi Everyone,

I have researched this on earlier postings here but could not find any clear answers to this question.
From what I have read on this supplement, it is tagged as an herb that does indeed cause raised INR levels.

So my question is this, Have any home testers started using this supplement, and if so, how much did this effect your INR.
Also, if you are on Warfarin but don't home test, then started taking this supplement, how much did your Coumadin Clinic have to adjust your weekly dosage?

I am really looking for first hand feedback on this topic, not quotes from the internet Med Sites.

Thanks,
Rob

Sorry, no data from me Rob

But curious as to what it does ( the herb)

My expectation would be that any interaction will happen at a rate which weekly testing will clarify. You are a home tester iirc, so its your turn to self lab rat :)

PS have just looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks interesting. I may experiment myself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmetto_extract

pellicle;n856997 said:
Sorry, no data from me Rob

But curious as to what it does ( the herb)

My expectation would be that any interaction will happen at a rate which weekly testing will clarify. You are a home tester iirc, so its your turn to self lab rat :)

PS have just looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks interesting. I may experiment myself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmetto_extract

Hi Pellicle,

Yup, looks like I will be the lab rat. My doctor recommended I try this, instead of going to prescription meds, (since those have some other undesirable side effects),
He also said it takes about 6 weeks of use for it to build up and be effective. I have some minor surgery coming up soon, so looks like I will have to delay being the lab rat until Sept, as I would hate to begin building it up only to have to wean myself off of it 14 days prior to my surgery which I have to bridge for with Lovenox, Ughhh! Done that on 2 other occasions over the years.

In the meantime if you decide to try it out and be a lab rat, keep me posted.

Cheers,
Rob :)

RobThatsMe;n857000 said:
In the meantime if you decide to try it out and be a lab rat, keep me posted.

will do its sort of my "hobbie" to report my own lab-rat findings with respect to AC therapy here. I was trying Chlorophyl a while back and that had not observable effect same too for tribulus terrestris too (but it did increase my muscle growth and assist a little with fitness)

Back onto Saw Palmetto, I'm sure you read this too, but there was one thing which I thought was weird in the (complete lack of anything useful) data which came up from searching.

Increased blood thinning by warfarin was reported while using saw palmetto. However, this may have been caused by something other than saw palmetto

makes me think they got data which they felt should be discounted.

veracity of source (http://www.drugs.com/npc/saw-palmetto.html) requires a pinch of:
salt.jpg

I have gotten a lot of very useful information from both of you, so I can actually contribute something. I too use myself as a lab rat.
I started on saw palmetto about a year ago, and I noticed no difference at all. Then again, I don't notice any difference if I am on amoxicillin either.

I also did testing on my beer. It turned out in mt favor. :)

Latest posts

Back