Running and Metroporol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctyguy

The doc has cut my dosage from 50mg a day to 25mg a day and told me that as long as I don't have any issues over the next 4 to 6 weeks, I can drop it all together.

So my question is are there any folks who are runners who have been on both sides of the beta blockers and what was the effect on your runs when you stopped taking it ? I've worked my way up to 10 miles and am running a 1/2 marathon this weekend (1st one). Im projecting about 10:30 to 10:45 miles on race day. Once the Metroporol out of my system is it reasonable to see any type of improvement in run times ?

It is very reasonable to see some good improvements once you are off the drug. I did and so have many others. I'm sure the dr. told you, but wean off slowly. The drug is like a governor on your heart, it won't let it go too fast, and thus keeps the rest of your body from a good hard workout (what helps you improve!)......

one minute per mile would put me in the 9's which would be a big change. Assuming I decide to run another 1/2 the logical goal would be under 2 hrs which means 9 min miles.

The long version:

Yeah, a minute per mile, but you have to earn it. Nothing comes automatically. It isn't so much that being rid of it gains 1 min/mi as being on it has cost you 1 min/mi.

First, it takes time to get the beta blockers out of your system and allow the heart to return to normal functioning. You need to taper off, never go cold turkey. It will take minimum 3 weeks to be rid of it. If you simply stop taking it, your HR will be erratic for several days and it can hurt, or worse send you into Afib which is certainly no fun.

Once you stop them it means you can train at higher intensity, push the HR higher in intervals and races so you can derive the benefit of the better training. After a few weeks of better training times, your race times will come down.

I and others I've known have experimented with going off for short periods but I have never been able to shed it completely. What I have done - and this is not safe either, medical pros have conniptions when I tell others - is simply delay taking it the night before a race so that I can push my HR higher just for that event. Then I take it again after the race so that I'm back on it with only about a 12 hour delay. Most races don't really mean that much to me so I've only done it a few times.

What I've seen from just a short delay, not total cessation, is about 30 seconds per mile. Of course, I could gain the same 30 seconds simply by losing 10 lbs but that's another issue.

Back