Running and Amlodipine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello all. Earlier (in the summer) I had posted a note asking whether other people were having a problem with “wooden legs” while beginning running again. I had speculated it might have been one of my meds, especially amlodipine (generic for Norvasc), a BP med. Unfortunately no one had a similar experience. I just wanted to update y'all in case there is someone who might be suffering from the same thing. I finally saw my cardio a few weeks ago. He gave me permission to get off amlodipine to test whether that was the cause of my running “issues.” It worked! In just the last few weeks, I've not experienced the problem again, my running enjoyment has increased, and my pace has too, as well. I feel like I'm back to normal as far as my running goes, again. Nine months post-surgery and it's about time! Anyway, I just thought I'd share for others. Best regards, Dave.

Yeah, it's always good to know where to place the blame. I suspect it wasn't that no one had that experience since I've heard other similar complaints, but probably more that nobody had experience with that drug.

I agree. There was scant information on amlodipine's effect on athletic performance when I googled it, so it's no surprise our VR friends hadn't had a similar experience. I'm really just glad the wooden legs problem wasn't due to a physical issue with me!

I was on a small dose of amlodipine for a while.

Amlodipine (best known in its original brand name form, Norvasc) is a calcium channel blocker. CCBs are well known for creating drag in would-be athelete's limbs - especially if they are taking a beta blocker as well (not uncommon).

See if you can talk your doctor into an ace inhibitor instead.

Best wishes,

how very interesting. this is one we need to put in our memory banks for future reference. thanks for getting back on this one. I took Norvasc some yrs ago but don't recall that problem. I have legs that don't work well, but for me, I am sure it's the Lipitor that caused mine

I am so glad you got this solved and can move about as you want to now. Blessins......

Congratulations on getting the problem resovled, and thanks for posting so others can benefit. I settled on a small dose (4 mg) of ACE inhibitor for BP...very little side effects EXCEPT when you are running long and sweat profusely, then you can get low BP and light headed.
Now, get out there and enjoy your run!!!!

Latest posts

Back