Runners

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gary47

My surgery is set for Jan 8th-anyone out there who has recovered from surgery and is now running-or previously ran--talked to a man from Britain (maybe on this website?)who ran a marathon-he had a porcine stentless valve-I am just having an aortic root repair my valve is fine-I hear everbody on this site and I admire their courage so much...whenI get through this I am going to give so much back!!!

keep on running!!

keep on running!!

Hi Gary

I wouldn't call it real running, but I have been jogging since my surgery last October - St Judes aortic valve fitted - and I too my have completed a marathon, so I don't see why you should have any problems next spring.

I'm 40 now and had never been the keenest of runners, I always preferred team sports as a way of keeping fit. However, a young family and a demanding job had meant I'd given up on sport for a few years, a big regret now as I was unaware I had a valve problem until a routine medical and I'm no longer able to play my great love - rugby - because I take warfarin.

All that said, I started some gentle jogging last December as part of my recovery process and found it wasn't at all bad. I'd even go as far as saying I enjoyed the training. I was lucky enough to get a place in the London Marathon this April, running to raise money for the British Cardiac Patients Association. As I'd not been very active before surgery, my training was interrupted by various minor injuries, but I managed to complete the course in 5½ hours, and that was just over 6 months after my surgery. Unfortunately, I've developed tendonitis in my left knee and have been unable to run much since, but I feel I've got the bug now and would like to keep running. I definitely want to improve on my marathon time, but don't see myself doing a whole load of marathons, maybe 10km (6 miles) is a more practical distance - I'm sure we're not designed to run over 26 miles!

Good luck with your surgery in January and enjoy your running, both now and afterwards.

Best regards,

Simon in England

Gary - Is it just running you're interested in? If you look up Braveheart's profile you will find someone who does serious cycling plus a number of other activities (but not running I think).

Best wishes

Simon and Gillian

Simon and Gillian

Simon I spoke to you previously any marathon ran is an accomplishment--My last name is Gillow I am of Welsh descent-I would like to visit the homeland someday---if you need any training tips for 5k's or 10k's let me know----Gillian I will touch base with Braveheart-I do bike ocaissionally---God Bless-and Simon do keep in touch you are an inspiration.

Can't Run But Love Walking

Can't Run But Love Walking

Hey Gary:

We do wish you luck there. I sure can't run (I'm 51) but I do love walking in the woods and checking out the wildlife. So, join the crowd as there are many beautiful walking trails.

God bless you in your surgery.

RON P.

Running

Running

Only did a few 5K and 10Ks, before my surgery and basically ran to stay in shape.......after surgery two years ago, walk more than I run but lately have been running maybe the last 1/2 mile of my daily (almost daily) 2 mile walk.

Since I have problems related to dizziness, balance and othe TIA-like symptoms (like a neighbor of yours......Jonathan) my running is not like I was before or want it to be now.

Bob

Bob

Bob what is TIA and excactly what type of surgery did you have?

Hi Gary

Hi Gary

TIA = Transient Ischemic Attack.........which is basically a ministroke with no permanent effects........I usually get blurred vison and dizziness and loss of balance and sometimes, arm and shoulder pain ans sweats. It goes away in a couple of minutes although sometimes it lasts 15-20 minutes.......when it does, that is when I worry that it could become a full-blown stroke.

I have had all sorts of tests but nothing is showing up. My surgeon-brother-in-law said that it could be microscopic emboli that is basically undetectable.

Hi Bob - TIAs !

Hi Bob - TIAs !

Hi Bob

How are you? How did you tests go at the hospital? Just wondered if you were any further forward with the TIAs?

I've had a result from my letter to the Cardiologist regarding my bad consultation with the Neurologist. I had a nice letter back saying he agreed with me that I should have a 2nd opinion and he has written to his friend and close colleague, who is top professor of vascular neurology at the Nation Hospital for Neurology in London. I have an appointment to see him on the 5th Deecember. I'll let you know what happens.

We have to keep pushing forward until we get some answers. Like you, I'm not prepared to accept they are migraine.

Well good luck with everything.

God Bless,

Jonathan

Latest posts

Back