Runners opinions and/or advice, please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garserin

Hi everybody,
I could really use a little help from the runners belonging to this forum.

Here is my story: One day last fall, shortly after I completed cardiac rehab, I joined my local Y and then decided to become a runner. I really had to start from scratch, cardiac rehab was the first time in my life exercising on a regular basis. Actually, I really enjoyed rehab and that was the main reason I joined the Y, I wanted to make exercise a regular part of my life. When I first started jogging around the indoor track I could barely run for one minute, no kidding. I kept at it and slowly improved over the winter.

May 12, 2012 was my first anniversary of my surgery and to celebrate I ran (ok more like ran, walked, ran, walked, etc.) my first 5k. Time was 38:50, I had to walked quite a bit. Yesterday, I did another 5k, this time 38:20. I think that comes out to 12:23 minute miles. My goal is to drop below the 12 minute miles by the end of the year and I was wondering what the best way would be for me to accomplish that. How often should I run, what kind of running or other training do I need to do so I can run longer and not have to walk as much.

FYI - I am a 63 year old female, my GP and surgeon both told me it's ok for me to run and push myself if I want to. My HR goes up to 170 when I really push it, but I feel fine and my dr. Thought that was ok. The farthest I have been able to go without walking is 1.25 miles.

What do you think? Am I just kidding myself if I think I can become faster or do I need to be more patient because I have been at this for only 6 month. Thank you.

First of all, congratulations on finishing a 5K. :) I think it is great that you have been bitten by the running bug and that your doctors are on board with you. The advice my cardio gave me was as long as you are not short of breath or having chest pain, you should be ok. Don't let your heart rate get into the 180s and if it does go that high, don't let it stay there, slow down. Do you wear a heart rate monitor? Lots of runners do.

I use and have used over the years "The New Competitive Runner's Handbook", Bob Glover, to train properly for running and for distance. The first thing you should work on is your endurance. If you can run 1.25 miles, you can run 2.5. How fast you run should be your focus after your able to run the distance you are training for. There are some runners who will be along to give some advice also, some of them have used something called "From the Couch to a 5K", not sure if that's the right title. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm a runner and now a Marthon. I started from scratch years ago. I think the key for a lot of folks like yours to develop a consistent plan of gradual increases in distance - no more than 10% increase per week over the previous week. Don't worry about time too much now. How many miles per week are you doing now? Eventually you will want to add some short interval work to get your time down. It for now I bet all you need to do is to up your mileage gradually.

You're already there. You need do no more than what you've been doing. If race performance is a goal then you will get faster simply by doing a couple more 5Ks. There are a lot of training programs for improvement from Couch to 5k to Glover and many more online, but really, just keep on keeping on.

The most basic plan is to do one longer run each week. Make most runs about the same distance, 2 miles is a good base, then one day a week go at least 1.5 times that distance but never more than 3 times as far. For instance, Mon/Wed/Fri 2 miles, Sat 3 miles. Doing this consistently, you could boost the weekend long run to 5 or 6 miles eventually. And intersperse walking as needed. Run/walk is the basis of the most popular marathon training program. If it gets them to 26.2 miles, it must be the right thing to do.

I love it that you're running!!!! Just to be able to do what you're doing now is such an accomplishment and it sounds like you're doing a GREAT job so far!!!!!

I'm a mid-distance runner (20-30 miles a week pre-surgery) and I second what everyone says about increasing your mileage. Do it slowly. Get the miles under your feet first then focus on the speed. Remember, running/walking is a GREAT way to start out, just look how far you've come in 6 months, before you know it you'll be running the entire distance, then you'll be running the entire distance fast!

Most importantly, ENJOY THE RUN!!!!

Rachel

Thank you for your responses. The main idea i am taking away from all of you is to not worry too much about the time right now but to be able to run the entire distance. For the time being 5 km is all I plan on doing.

LucyLou, I have a HR monitor, however I do not wear it a lot. I found that I was looking at it constantly and slowed down too much when I noticed my heart rate going up. When I am not wearing it, I just stop running and start walking when I feel I am breathing too hard.

jpattillo, I run less then 10 miles a week, sometimes only 3 or 4. My guess is that is probably not enough to make improvements. Is my mixture of running and walking considered intervals or is that something else?

Jack and Rachel, I also appreciate your words of encouragement. It's not always easy for my 63 year old body to go along with my planned activities. My ultimate goal is to be fit overall and I am hoping that running can be part of that plan. For now I'll try to run at least 3 times a week, for a total of 7 to 10 miles and see where that gets me.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Sorry I am late chiming in here, but here it goes anyways! I have been running over 25 years, and have started many people running. If you were to start from scratch, the best plan is to do it by time. Start out running, time yourself; at 10 minutes, turn around and head back home. Do this every other day...take walking breaks as needed, but the goal is to find your pace where you can run the entire 20 minutes. Once you can run the entire 20 minutes, now map out a 3 mile course, keep that pace, and run every other day until you can run the entire 3 miles. Keep at it, and your pace will quicken on it's own and you will get faster.

Lots of great advice given already.

I have seen lot of people start running but give up after a few weeks because they say it is too hard. The reason they are doing that is they are running every run too hard and they are not fully recovered for their next run....so of course it is unpleasant. The best piece of advice I have seen/ heard is that you should be able maintain a conversation while you are running. If you cannot, then slow down the pace a bit. Also, you should finish each run feeling like you could have done more. If you (I have been guilty of this) finish a run and feel completely wiped out, then you went too hard. Cross training is also a good supplement to running. If there are days that you just do not feel like running, then getting on a bike or eliptical is a great alternative and works the same energy system. Good luck!

You guys are geniuses!!! I followed your advice and slowed down and I was able to run for 20 minutes. Still can't believe it. Even though I paid no attention to speed, I covered 1.74 miles. I was doing it all wrong before. I started out way too fast and got winded real fast too.

The plan now is to be able to consistently run for 20 minutes each time and then in a week or two start adding 2 minutes a week until I can run 3 miles. Now I actually believe I can do it.

I am so happy I posted this question. You all know what you are talking about! Thanks again.

Great job! You are well on your way! Do everything you can to make this enjoyable...change routes when you start getting bored...sign up for a race when you need a reason to keep at it!

You guys are geniuses!!! I followed your advice and slowed down and I was able to run for 20 minutes. Still can't believe it. Even though I paid no attention to speed, I covered 1.74 miles. I was doing it all wrong before. I started out way too fast and got winded real fast too.

The plan now is to be able to consistently run for 20 minutes each time and then in a week or two start adding 2 minutes a week until I can run 3 miles. Now I actually believe I can do it.

I am so happy I posted this question. You all know what you are talking about! Thanks again.

That is super great news, I'm so excited for you!!!! Keep it up!!

Rachel

Again, congratulations on your progress. One thing I don't think I've seen here is the hard-easy principle. When you work out you actually do microscopic damage to your muscle fibers and they need time to recover. When they recover they are stronger than they were before just like the broken part a a bone is stronger after it heals. If you work out the same everyday without giving your body a chance to recover you can end up with a running injury. For world class athletes a hard day might involve doing a long run in the morning followed by some speedwork in the afternoon. The next day they might just run a few miles or do some form of cross-training. For you it might involve running 20 minutes or so one day, going for a walk the next, doing your run again the next day and so on. You have to kind of find out what works for you over time. I think the idea of adding 2 minutes a week is a good strategy. At some point you might want to stay at a certain level for a week or two or even back off on you weekly total for a week or two before increasing again.
Good Luck,
Richard G.

Back