Ross/artificial valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to wish the whole family my good wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery. I am at the other end of the age group from you at age 70..I bounced back quickly..so at your age..things should go even faster. If they don't give you a pillow at the hospital..get one that is nice and firm..NOT a nice sift squishy down one. The idea of a nest of pillows when you get home is a real good idea..I still like my nest of about 5 soft down pillows..and I was able to sleep in my own bed(pretty much in a sitting position) almost as soon as I got home. Many people made the suggestion of using a recliner chair..so I did buy one and it was a wonderful help!! I did usue it for the first few days..but with all the puillows I stole from all the other beds I was happy in my own bed in my nest!!
Please keep in touch and let us all know the "good news"
Joan

Hi Jake,

I had the Ross Procedure Dec. 27, 2000. I feel you made the right decision with regard to your valve selection. As far as the pillow, I did not receive a pillow from the hospital. I found that the firmer the pillow, the better. I carried one around everywhere I went. The sneezes are the worst, so I tried to avoid sneezing whenever possible by blowing my nose when I felt a sneeze coming on. Fortunately, I can only remember sneezing twice in the first month. The hardest part is over (making the decision). The surgery and recovery were not bad at all. You will be suprised at how tolerable the pain is. I remember sitting in my bed a day after the surgery thinking this wasn't bad all.

God Bless.

Hi Jake,

Seems you already have received lots of notes on the pillow issue. I received a stuffed bear pillow and used that often. Coughing and sneezing can be painful until your incision heals. Putting some external pressure on the area sure helps reduce or eliminate the pain from coughing.

Also, don't try and be a hero. If you feel pain, tell them, and get some medicine. It is already proven that feeling painless helps the healing process, so, ask for a pain killer if you need it, and if what they give you isn't doing the trick, tell them and have them get something stronger.

Walking will help you get going after surgery. When they tell you to try and getup and sit, give it a try, and as soon as they tell you to try walking, go for it. You will feel much better by doing it.

I used some very light dumbells 2.5 lbs when I got home just to do some light shoulder and chest stretching exercises. I stress light! I wasn't weight lifting, only letting the body stretch some, and help the area that was healing to do so properly. You may want to ask your doctor about that.

Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Rob

Hang in there!

Hang in there!

Jacob,

I guess today is your day if I've read all the posts correctly. Hang tough buddy, and we'll be here when you return. Take your time recovering and try to initiate a little more physical activity each day like walking, small weights, etc.

Does you dad have a LazyBoy? My son moved mine up to my bedroom after I got home and I still "live" in it! It's got a heater for the back and a massager, but it's noisy.

God bless and I'll be saying some prayers for you today.

PerryA

I am Jacob's aunt and I live just a few blocks away so he, his brothers, and his parents are our second family. I've been reading this thread since Jake got started in it and, with Jake in surgery today, I just could not help but post a note thanking everyone for the care and concern expressed to Jake and to the whole family. It has meant so much to him, to his parents, and to his extended family including me. I feel like I have gotten to know you all!

We are holding Jacob in prayer today, and it means so much to know that so many others are too. Thank you again!

Best of luck with your surgery Jacob. We'll all be waiting to hear how things went. I hope someone posts for you.

Dear Jacob's Aunt - we are waiting to hear about him. Please let us know how he is as soon as you can. I am sure his mom will, too. All of us are always anxious to know all is well. Thanks for coming in. God bless

Jake and family!

Here's hoping all went as planned.

Let us know how you are.

-Mara

Out of surgery and doing great!

Out of surgery and doing great!

Hello to all our friends at vr.com. Jake is out of surgery and I am writing to you from his room in pediatric intensive care. The Ross procedure went well. It took about six hours. The surgeon says there is just a whiff of a leak thru the aortic valve but that is not unusual. We are so glad to have him through surgery, and awake enough to be communicating! He is in a fair amount of pain with the chest incision and he keeps asking for a drink which he can't have yet. But he went into the surgery excited and looking forward to being able to have normal activity and through the haze he still seems to be tuned in to the positive side of things. He thanked his nurse for all she's doing for him, and recently he said, "Hi. I just wanted to say that. Wanted you to know I'm alive." I guess I can sum that up as Jake's message to you all tonight! The surgical nurses said he was a real hoot - kept them all laughing until he went under. We are so grateful to God for helping the doctors and getting Jake through this. We are grateful for the incredible medical technology that has enabled this lifesaving surgery! When we prayed with him this morning before he got wheeled away, I put my hand on his chest and felt the rhythmic vibration of that murmur...so strong it almost felt like a vibrating cell phone...and all of a sudden in spite of my tension and anxieties it hit me that the upcoming surgery was NOT "the problem". His condition was the problem, and this surgery is the solution! Thank you for all the notes the last several days and today. It has meant so much to us.

Hi Jake,

So glad to hear that your surgery went well! Congradulations!!

May you have a full and speedy recovery and keep us posted when you can.

Your surgery update brought a smile to my face this morning.

Wishing you the best,

Rob

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update

Excellent news!

Sounds like Jake will be outa there in no time.

His humor will help him through many new challenges. Keep it up-it's goood medicine.

Cheers!

hi tom, tracy and jacob!
so glad the surgery went well. please send our well wishes to jacob.
the worst is over and from here on in it gets easier with every new day.
please tell jacob to relax and be patient, it all falls into place. as everyone here has said, walk, walk, and walk some more.
wehn jacob gets ready to eat and may not be hungry, mara's suggestion to us_ ice pops_ was a lifesaver.
i'm glad you all came through this well. God bless you,
sylvia

Your Recovery

Your Recovery

Hi Jake,
As i read our mom's post,I wiped a little tear from my eye, I could visulise your mom happily telling us you were through surgery, the happiness and relief she is feeling shone through.

I wish you a speedy recovery and send you love and positive thoughts

we all await your return so you can share your experiences with those of us who are waiting for surgery

Love and Sunshine to you all
Jan ( Liverpool England )

Hi Jake and family

It's great to hear everything went well for you. Keep us posted with your progress.

All the best

Peachy

Congratulations

Congratulations

Jake,

This is fantastic! I've been away for a while... I come back and you've already had the surgery!

The chest pain is a real drag for sure. Just keep your little heart pillow close and watch out for the 'evil sneeze'. It'll feel much better soon. :) I'm so happy to hear the surgery is behind you and that it went well.

Congratulations,
Rain

Getting better

Getting better

Hi everyone, I keep hoping to get Jake to write to y'all but between all his activities (blowing in his tube, coughing, shorts walks, etc, etc, as you know..) he is sleeping a lot. He is coming along great, moving in a few minutes to regular pediatrics, and may be going home tomorrow. That first night after surgery, when he was struggling with nausea, he roused himself out of a morphine haze for a second and asked, "Mom, what's oxycontin? Then he spelled it for me.."O-X-Y.." I wondered where this came from. The next day it connected...he was lying there thinking about Mara's story under the Personal Stories section of vr.com! The part where she had the allergic reaction to oxycontin.: Also Kev's comments about the hard parts, and all the stuff about coughing, etc. Thanks for all the support, I really can tell it has helped Jake to anticipate what would happen and to go into it with some forewarning. That's half the better. We appreciate you.

Fantastic news!

Fantastic news!

What an amazing dude, Jake is!

Thank God he is doing so well as is his family of such supportive people. Nice to hear that he is going home soon.

I will look forward to Jake's first post-op posting. It should be a good one!

Take care and thanks for updating us.

Hey Jake:)
What a Guy!!..sounds like you're really doing very well!! Believe me it only goes uphill from where you are now!!! I'm so glad that the surgery is behind you and only good things are ahead of you. I have a 8 year old grandson who had 3 heart surgeries by the time he was 5..and believe me other than his "train tracks" as he calls his scars..you'd never know it..I really admire you tough kids!!Heal quickly!!
Joan

Latest posts

Back