Ross 8/23

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SuperDragon

Sorry I haven't been updating as much. Dad today was half sedated, and when he got out of it for a split second, he cried, then slipped away again. He did this a few times. They have removed several blood clots that they found when scoping through the trach opening when there was blood coming through while suctioning. They called the blood "irritation" from all the suctioning, and basically he hasn't gotten worse or improved a lot, he's just maintaining right now. He's down to 20 breaths per minute and the machine is still doing 40% of the breathing. Another long period of hassle for us to endure...

P.S. This may sound funny, but it's getting pretty bad. I haven't had a job since February when the place that I worked at shut down (Danner Press). I'm a Computer Technician, and my unemployment just ran out. It takes 4 weeks for them to process the Unemployment extension, so I won't be seeing anything for a month, unless of course I get a break and find a job. I'm hoping to get a job REALLY soon (like yesterday). Could you all throw that into your prayers because it doesn't seem to work for me alone. :) Thanks.

Steve

Steve.....please tell your dad he's in our prayers, and so are you, effective immediately. Good luck with your job search, and thanks for posting!!

Evelyn

Dear Steve - this is very worrisome about Ross. We knew it would be a rough time, but hoped by now he would be improving more than he seems to be doing. You may be assured that we are all very concerned and praying hard for him all the time. All that anyone can do is just wait with hope.

I am sorry that the job market is so down. My sister is visiting me from Dallas Tx and she is going through the same thing. She had a really wonderful job (and her husband worked at the same place) and the company moved to Rochester, NY. He opened his own business and is doing ok but she is still trying to find something in her line. Don't think things are as good as we are being led to believe, in this great country of ours, regarding jobs. All of you are in my prayers.

Ann God bless

Hi Steve-

I'm so terribly sorry that your dad isn't coming around and things seem to be almost status-quo. It must be so very hard on you and the family. I'm thinking that the sedation is making Ross out of it enough to be crying when he drifts in and out, so I would take that under consideration when you are with him. I can imagine that it's devastating to see and it's not the dad you know. But somewhere in there under all that medication, he's your old dad. Please remember that he's still alive and has made some improvement even though it's been agonizingly slow. Where there's life, there's hope and people do recover from things such as this. Keep speaking encouraging words to him. And tell him that we are all pulling for him and saying prayers for him.

Your own situation is so difficult. To have lost a job because the place closed down is awful, and then to have to face your dad's health situation is just beyond belief. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you all the best, dear Steve, and I certainly hope things take a good turn for you, you deserve it.

Steve,

Let me first say thanks for the update on Ross. I am glad he is hanging in there.

As for you -- I have a lot of contacts in the computer business and maybe I can get your resume in front of some folks. What I need from you is a current resume ( 1-2 pages) Kind of position you are looking for, ability to move physically, if that is a requirement, positions you have held, skills you have and education.

Send that to me as an attachment (MS Word preferred) to [email protected] Once I get that I can review it, offer suggestions, if required, and start helping you. No promises other then I will do all I can to help you.

Walter

Hey Steve,
Thanks again for taking time to update us. I'm sorry to hear your dad's improvement is slow...but it IS improvement none-the-less.

As far as your own job situation, I think you have lots of company. I know many folks who have lost good jobs in the IT world due to mergers, down-sizing, etc. Are you willing to re-locate for a job? I know that you probably want to stay put until your dad is out of the woods, but then you might want to consider moving for the right job (do take up Walter on his kind offer.) I would make the same offer, but our IT situation in Minneapolis is the pits right now too...one can find degreed engineers working at Home Depot! At any rate, I'm sure many here will include you in their prayers, and I'm wishing you and your family the very best in this difficult time.

--John

P.S.
Walter,
after reading your last post, I have an idea as to how you ended up having two such wonderful daughters!:)

Hang in there Steve. We're all praying as best we can. Ross will have a lot to teach us about the realities of all this when he can.

Sorry about your situation too. We just had to lay-off 26 in our division, some having worked at the hospital here for over 35 years within just a few years of retiring. And this is in healthcare, an industry that is still faring much better than many others.

God bless.

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for your updates. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world for you to do right now, but there are an awful lot of people here that are praying for your dad and wondering how he's doing each day. You're doing a great job!

To quote the response I got from your father, when I asked for prayers for my sister with breast cancer, "Consider it done!"

You and your family will definitely be in my prayers!

Hang in there, Jean

HANG IN THERE STEVE!

HANG IN THERE STEVE!

Steve, thanks for the update on your dad. The little steps of progress are in the right direction, so this is just a matter of time. The emotional strain on you and your family must be incredible. You can be proud of the way you've handled yourself. Post when you can, but your primary responsibility is to yourself and your family. When Ross gets this behind him he's going to be one proud dad.

Regarding your employment scenario, I'm in the IT field as well, so if you want to send me email for advice or whatever, my private email address is [email protected].

You're in my thoughts hoping you swiftly find a new gig.

Keep up the prayers...

Keep up the prayers...

Wow, Steve, the Young family is surely in the midst of an incredible time! My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Your updates are very much appreciated as we daily readers do want to know how it's going. Your dad is in good hands and your family's support system sounds excellent.

Your job situation sucks, but I think you will persevere the same as you do with your dad. I work for a small family owned (flexo) printing operation here in Illinois as a graphic designer/pre-press manager (one-man dept.). Many of my outside vendors and even other printers that I know have someone like you on their staffs or working as consultants. You must know Danner's competitors-call them! Your knowledge and experience should speak for itself. Both of our IT guys are independent contractors and one has an assistant. Our company could not function properly without them, so their help and demand is necessary and much needed. Don't despair and don't look back, you have a fine commodity to sell and I feel there is definitely a need for it in this crazy market.

The prayers continue...

Steve - just an idea for you.

A young man I know has loved computers since he was a kid. He went off to college, also tried the music world, finally got a good job and was going up in the company as he is a go-getter. One day he had something to sell, so went on eBay, put it on auction, quickly got a buyer. Put other stuff on, got buyers. Soon he was making more over eBay than in his job so the decision over which one to follow had to be made. He quit his REAL job, went full time on his site and was successful. He found things to sell, attended shows in large cities to buy from vendors to sell, Worked right out of his room at home. Then he decided to open a store, now has 3 employees. The store isn't the greatest seller, but it pays for itself. The site has taken off, become well known in eBay world. He is one of the top sellers in the country and eBay flew him and his wife out to L.A. for a meeting. He has made a great success of this business, but it takes long days and much time, but can be done.

You might look into eBay, find stuff others might want, put it on, and when you run out of your own stuff, get stuff from friends, give them their $, keep some for you, plus you also have postage/handling, but keep that cost (P&H) down so people will come back. Just a thought, but you might make a dollar or so while you wait for the real job to come along. Good luck

Dear Steve:

Thank you so much for posting us an update on your Dad's condition. We all pray for him daily. It is very very distressing to hear that he is still in such bad shape. What are his doctors' saying?

I am so very sorry about your job. So many people are suffering in this economy. I will, however, support the suggestion that you look into ebay. I know three people who make a full time living selling merchandise there. Try it, you might like it!

Please give your Mom our best. This must be the most difficult on her.

Again, thanks for posting. You are one very fine young man.

Marybeth

Steve-I can empathize-my company closed too

Steve-I can empathize-my company closed too

Firstly- I have been viewing all of your posts about your dad- & I have said many prayers for him & all of you- I haven't written because I have been dealing with a major situation with my life- please know that I do care-even tho I haven't written-

Second-I too have been without employment because the company I worked for closed- AND, my unemployment ran out -the extension too- I couldn't re-apply because of my health- nevertheless, it is scary & quite a feeling of helplessness at times- especially when you have a loved one who is in need of your 'being there' physically & emotionally with your support. I have been in similar 'shoes'.

Employment will come- but, today-in many areas of our country the unemployment rate is high- thus, the extensions. This is understood & known by many people- Try not to be hard on your self if you have already been feeling that way.

I can't send you money to help out-I would if I had enough-but, I can certainly send you my prayers- lots of them- please take good care of yourself-
Debbie

Hi Steve, I am sorry that ROss isn't coming along as quickly as you wanted, but he'll come around. He is still in my prayers.

ABout your job situation...I know the job market isaweful now. My husband was going to get out of the navy and do something else, but he decided to stay in the navy, because we didn't know what we would do for money or housing. I will pray for you too. If you are single( I don't know) you might want to joing the Navy as an IT. Great benefits, and steady pay. The benefits are great, but military life isn't for everybody. Take it easy!

Steve-
thanks for the update on your dad. I hope he gets home soon.

I know so many people, including my husband, who are looking for jobs. Try to stay up beat and take all the opportunities that come your way to network and connect with people. It's not what you know, but who you know that helps you get a job.

I don't know if you are wanting to stay in Ohio, but Lexis-Nexis, the company that I work for is in the Dayton-Miamisburg area, and they always have openings for good IT people. Check out the website, One is www.lexis-nexis.com and I think you can access it through www. lexis.com too. We do so much on the internet and everything is on computers. Please let me know if you want to to check it out first for you, I'd be happy to help.
-Mara

hi steve!
thank you for keeping us up to date on your dad's condition. just try and remember that every little bit of improvement counts! sometimes it just takes longer and requires much more patience. try and keep your chin up amidst all this difficulty.
sending our prayers your way, for both you and your dad.
wishing you all the best, sylvia

Latest posts

Back