RobNDenver Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNDenver

Hi everyone.. . i am now 4 days post op and have got this under control to the extent that I can. Day two, really euphoric, but a trememendous amount of pain, since I switched from Dilaudid to Percoset. In the ICU, I was getting a great deal of nausea, So I asked to stop taking the Dilaudid. Nasea went away, but man did I have to stay very close to the recommended dosage. Sunday was Day three and that was really unpleasant. Euporia had worn off, and oral pain meds could not control my pain. Kept getting the hiccups, whenever.

They disappeared yesterday, but I got one more dose of Dilaudid through the IJ and tried to walk everytime they wanted me to. Last night, Dr. Matthews took out the chest tubes and I felt so much bettter. Lots of activities today, but still have not been able to shower. Here's hoping for tomorrow. I have walked around the unit 4 times today and have two more to go. I have just finished a "brown cow" since I have been eating fine, but not moving anyhthing since the surgery.

The nurses working in 3W at Boulder Community are the finest I have ever run into. Not a "pill" in the bunch!

Pharmacist just came by with the Coumadin reading material and looked at me like I was some kind of an alien when I told her that I had been researching anticoagulation therapy. I know that the PT ,OT, RT's all have to teach to the lowest common denominator, but I hate to be patronized. I guess I must be feeling better, I am beginning to think that many of the folks who are here are trying to instruct 4 years old about Sternal Precautions, Exercise, Diet, Driving a Car, Traveling on an airplane. . . etc. . .

Anyway, I am hoping that the surgeon comes in sometime soon, and gives me the greenlight to leave tomorrow. . .

Thanks, everyone for all of the kind thoughts~~~

Rob

Just make sure you INR is above 2.0 when you walk out the door. If they're giving you boost, ensure, or carnation instant breakfasts, these are all high in Vit K and will keep your INR from increasing to the desired range quickly. Outside of that, walk, breath, sleep, eat and get home!

Sounds like you are ready to go home- hope you get the green light soon!

So good to hear you are progressing well and that your pain management/meds are under control. My husband was fortunate in that he didn't have any trouble with the Vicodin he was on; he essentially went around with a half-blitzed smile on his face.

I concur that the BCH CCU staff is amazing. I literally camped out in my husband's hospital room and they were all so friendly, accomodating and compassionate.

Take care.

Good work Rob. Keep up the walking and we'll start adding it to the Mileage Countdown.
John

Rob,
We are kindred spirits, both having our surgeries on the same day. Now it's just walk, eat sleep, repeat. I hope you get home very soon, it's sooooo nice. BTW, I had to discover suppositories, sound like you may need to also, LOL. Good Luck.

Welcome to the other side of the mountain, the view is grand. Hopefully you've been sprung from the hospital by now. Nothing like your own home, your own bed, and most of all, your own pajamas!:)

Latest posts

Back