Right Ventricular Function Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory

I'm hitting an information wall and hoping other members may be able to weigh in. I had OHS (ascending aortic aneurysm repair) at the Cleveland Clinic on October 21, 2010. I was discharged from the hospital on schedule and I've been grateful that recovery has been generally ok. I've struggled with some night sweats and standard incision pain, but the trajectory has been essentially positive (although as frustrating as one might expect).

I had my first echo 2 weeks post op and was advised of a small amount of perfusion (fluid) around the right side of my heart. This isn't too unexpected and I was advised by my local cardiologist and the Cleveland Clinic to do a repeat echo in two weeks. I had the second echo done today and the fluid is essentially unchanged. So it is to be treated with anti-inflammatories and is expected to be cleared up. I'll have a repeat echo in another 2 weeks. I think it's fair to think of this as Dressler's syndrome, although I've been fortunate not to suffer any symptoms beyond night sweats.

Separately, I was advised that my right ventricular function was a bit "sluggish". I'm told that the right side of the heart is more difficult to protect in surgery and that it's not uncommon for the right side to get agitated in some recovering patients. The term used for my function issue was "mild right ventricular hypokinesis". My cardio advised me that the right ventricular function had improved somewhat since the first echo (not that I knew it was an issue at that point), but was still not back to normal. When I asked whether it would return to normal, the response I got was "hopefully - it does in most cases, but time will tell". I asked another cardio his thoughts and he thought it was likely that the issue would resolve itself. I called the Cleveland Clinic and they assured me that this sort of issue is not uncommon and expected that all would be back to normal by the 3 month mark.

Strange thing is, I haven't found any postings on VR about this and when I google the term, it's generally not a good narrative - usually a condition associated with heart attacks. I'm having a hard time gauging this post-surgery complication and wondering if anyone has experience in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gregory, After my first OHS (Mitral Valve Repair) back in 2008, I had the same problem and my local cardio Doc Told me I just have to wait and see if normal function returns to the right side of my heart. It did about 4 months later according to the echos I had at that time. I had my 2nd OHS (Mitral Valve Replacement), just a few weeks ago at the Cleveland Clinic and the Surgeon, Dr. Gillinov, told me the same thing you were told about that type of hypokinesis. I tend to put more faith in the folks back in Cleveland than the Doctors I have here,but like I said mine resolved after about 4 months and I have had no issues with Hypokinesis since then. Hope this helps....Daren

Daren,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the response. Thanks for sharing. I've had the sets of docs tell me this sluggishness is not that uncommon post surgery, and yet I can't find much info on this type of mild hypokinesis. When was your latest surgery date in Cleveland? I had Dr. Svensson on October 21 - 31 days ago. Hope your recovery is coming along and thank you again. Good luck to you. -Greg

Hi Greg, I was in Cleveland Clinic from Sept 28th to Oct 8th. It was a little longer than usual but I had a few problems after the Surgery. I was really glad I had chosen to have my Surgery there as they really seemed to be on top of things, but it sure was nice to finally be able to leave!!:D I tried also to find more info on the mild hypokinesis that some folks go through after heart surgery but like you I drew a lot of blanks. My Surgeon , Dr. Gillinov, told me before my surgery that if it struck me again after this surgery ,not to worry about it as it does happen to some people after Surgery and it almost always resolves itself in a few months. I have heard nothing but good things about Dr.Svensson, he is without question one of the best Heart Surgeons in the Country, so I am sure he did an excellent job on you:D I hope you have an smooth and easy recovery, and dont be shy about asking any questions you may have, as the folks here have a lot of knowlege about these things... Take care...daren:D

Back