Returning to Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my first visit with the cardiologit today since being released by my surgeon last week. Its exactly 4 weeks since my AVR surgery. I was very eager to see what my next course of treatmnt would be going forward. Kind of shocked to find out there would be none really. My surgeon seemed to be so much more careful and calculated about my long term care. My cardiologist doesnt seem to share the same approach. I was under the impression it would be at least 6 weeks before I could drive. Cardiologist said I can start driving any time I want. I reminded him Im still taking pain pills so he then decided I cannot dirve unless I stop the pain meds and should do so very soon. I was told very specifically by my surgeon not to lift anything whatsoever over 5 lbs until 6 weeks from surgery. Cardiologist said nothing over 40 lbs, unless it hurts than dont do it. It hurst to lift a glass of water if its too full! I inquired about cardiac rehab and wanted to find out more about how it works and what to expect, cardiologist seems to think I dont need it, that my heart is healthy. I inquired about returning to work so he was curious when I had planned to return to work, I told him I was prepared to and informed my employer that I would likely be out ten to twelve weeks including cardiac rehab, so basically November 1. He said I can return to work October 1? Im so confused. I mean I guess its good he thinks Im healthy. But I was committed to getting 110% out of recovery and doing everything possible to be in my very best shape after surgery, and yet he seems to think Im fine already. I dont know how to feel bout this?

Hi Almost :) Here in UK, the advice I had was more like your surgeon's: definitely no lifting more than 6 pounds for 6 weeks (risk is disturbing the bones in the sternum as they knit back together), no driving for a similar period, again because of risk to bones healing if you have to turn the steering wheel sharply etc. Returning to work was more flexible, depending on how physical your work is and how you feel. I went back part-time after about 8 or 10 weeks, working about 6 hours a day to start (I have a desk job, but also had a Pacemaker on top of the mechanical aortic valve, if that's a factor, and am diabetic).

Cardiac rehab started at 8 weeks after surgery, and one useful thing for me was being able to chat to others who had been through the same thing, so it served two purposes really. In my area, rehab is weekly, and about 20 or 30 people who have been through various treatments attend.

All this worked great for me! And my employer was very supportive, so they were content to go with how I felt, building back up to full-time when I felt ready. I am also able to work from home when I felt too tired to travel etc, and certainly found that I tired quite quickly in the early days. So I think go with how you feel, on the side of caution until bones have healed enough. Good luck.

Lawdog;n858222 said:
Hectic: If you go back to work, early, you will make the rest of the Aug. 11 OHS crowd, i.e., me, look very bad. Glad to read you're feeling up to going back to work.

Well that's kind of why I'm shocked. It's only a few weeks away and I'm really NOT feeling up to it yet. I guess my doc thinks I better shake it off and get better quick! Me, I don't see it yet?

Hectic, glad to see you are feeling better. I too was asked today when I would be coming back to work by my boss. He told me to take my time to heal and then take care of the back issues. He would like me to come back on my terms and only when I felt I could do the job, basically it would be on call doing drug testing after hours and that would net me the most money in the shortest amount of time as he is not so interested in making money for the company as possibly securing work from these oil companies once they see we are able to test all hours. I couldn't give him an answer as at this point I don't plan on going back to work anytime soon. Anywho enuf about me, just take your time Hectic and don't put yourself in a position where as you go back to soon. I myself am feeling good most days but then a day like today comes along and I don't feel I could even do a partial day w/o having to go home early. Do your cardio-rehab and this will help you to feel better and having a nurse on board while doing rehab is always a plus. Main thing, take your time feel good about yourself and your physical well being. It's not a race, your body will tell you if you're doing to much and in some cases, to little. Thanx,Tank

Well Tank, your advice is what I'd hope to hear, but instead my cardiologist isn't going to send me for any rehab, so any activity I do to better my situation I'm left to do on my own. Even though I think I'm doing well I am napping a couple hours each day as I too get pretty tired. Wish my boss was as understanding as yours. I'm assuming as soon as I get back in the office I'll have a mountain of work and it will all have to be done right away. My boss is somewhat lacking in compassion.

I think I need to talk to my cardiologist again, even as I describe the situation it sounds crazy to me...

Latest posts

Back