Resting HR post-AVR surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - I'm 49 and 5 weeks post AVR and aortic aneurysm replacement (Bentall procedure) surgery and recovering well. Prior to surgery, I was in strong cardiovascular shape, primarily as a recreational road cyclist. I rode 25 miles two days before surgery and had ridden over 100 miles in a MS Society fundraiser weekend ride just two weeks prior. Anyway, point is, my resting heart rate was consistently in the low 60s prior to surgery. Professional athletes have a resting HR in the 40-60 range, so I wasn't at that level, but still....in good shape. Since surgery, I've noticed a much higher resting HR. I've been monitoring resting heart rate and it's been in the upper 70s since surgery. So, I've gone from a pre-surgery average around 61 to post-surgery around 76. When I asked my surgeon and NP about this, they assured me it was a normal change due to my surgery and the heart reacting to that trauma. Fair enough, but....the NP said, "it will come down, but it may never get back down to your pre-surgery level".

She didn't offer an explanation for that statement, so I'm curious if others here have experience or know - is it possible I will simply never get back into the same cardiovascular shape I was in pre-surgery? If so, I'm curious why. In my simple mind, I've gone from an extremely leaky and inefficient native bi-cuspid valve to a very efficient (albeit bio-prosthetic) aortic valve and root. As such, I was actually reasoning I might even see improved cardiovascular performance. Thanks!
April (will be 68) will be 11 yrs since my AVR with Edwards Bovine Pericardial Valve. Have been playing competitive racquetball and pickleball, mountain climbing and hiking every year and many other recreational activities. Just had my yearly echo and all is good, starting to slow down some but I think its due to age and body joints :)

Hi all - I'm 49 and 5 weeks post AVR and aortic aneurysm replacement (Bentall procedure) surgery and recovering well. Prior to surgery, I was in strong cardiovascular shape, primarily as a recreational road cyclist. I rode 25 miles two days before surgery and had ridden over 100 miles in a MS Society fundraiser weekend ride just two weeks prior.
A little OT but it's good to find kindred spirits. Sounds like something I would do before heart surgery but to a lesser extent since I'm almost 71. I'm glad to have found this group.

A little OT but it's good to find kindred spirits. Sounds like something I would do before heart surgery but to a lesser extent since I'm almost 71. I'm glad to have found this group.
Thanks Gloria - I feel incredibly blessed to have led such an active lifestyle with this birth defect/disease, and even more blessed to have come through my 10/25 BAVR / Bentall procedure as well as I have. I should be back on the bike soon. It’s actually weather, not my heart, keeping me on the peloton in the basement for now. :)

I can only speak from my experience.

I did lots of cardiac rehab after surgery. And started exercising seriously for the first time in my life. I am 43. I now have a resting heart rate between high 50s and low 60s and 115/75 blood pressure. My cardiac stats never looked this good. In all honesty, it took me a while to get there.

The first 80% of the OHS recovery happens in the first 3 months or so. But then you know that the last 20% takes 80% of the time. So my advice is to keep exercising, work on your recovery every day and give it time. You will get there.

The first 80% of the OHS recovery happens in the first 3 months or so. But then you know that the last 20% takes 80% of the time.
the only thing I'd add is that depending on your age pre-surgery you may indeed uncover that you were capped before surgery by the illness
1706917454544.png

at least that's how it was for me, even at 48

These days I'm showing my age ;-)

1706917606463.png

Keep pushing the boundaries gently but firmly every day.

Best Wishes

Back