Respiratory tube

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do recall having the tube in my throat. As I was beginning to wake up there were moments when I found it hard to take a breath. But it quickly dawned on me where I was and that I should relax and let the machine dictate my breathing, which I did. That worked. Around this point the nurse came by and asked it I could raise my head, the traditional test I am told as to whether the tube can come out. I just about sat up. The nurse said something like "Oh he's ready" and out it went.

The advantage to VR.com is that it gives you information, it makes you smart about the surgical process. I was amazed that within a second or two of waking up so much of what I read here and elsewhere came to mind, foggy, but it was there. I said to myself "oh, breathing tube, don't fight it". Don't sweat the tube, if you wake up and its there it will be out quickly, and in the meantime let it do the breathing for you.

I too was terrified of the breathing tube. I have 2 experiences with it and they were only 5 wks apart. The first time I was in and out of it but I do remember the tube. They let me write on a board to let them know what I needed so that was comforting that I could still let them know things without speaking. Only frustrating when they couldn't read my words because I was still really out of it. The second surgery I had a different nurse which was a jerk. He wouldn't let me try to write anything. I was throwing up and he kept telling me that I wasn't I was fighting the tube and it wouldn't come out no matter how much I tried. He spraying this crappy numbing stuff that is used for a tee in the back of my throat so i wouldn't gag but that only made me feel sicker. When they finally took the tube out I was still sick I thru up for 2 more days after surgery, I guess it wasn't from the tube. Some nurses are great and some are not so great to put it nicely. Just remember to relax and if you don't fight it and let it help you the faster it will come out.

Ok That Does It.

Ok That Does It.

I really know I would never be able to stand that breathing tube when awake. I have a severe panic disorder. These are for the most part horror stories. :( I will tell my family to make sure I'm out until that darn tube is removed. But then how do they know one can breathe on their own without waking you up to find out? Confusing. :confused:

Hi Jamjude- I understand your feeling-beleive me I do. Make sure your cardiologist and your surgeon understand your anxiety and they'll take care of the rest. I have no idea how they know you are ready to breath on your own, but they do, and it works. They kept me so well sedated, I only have a vague memory of the tube being pulled, and other than that, I don't remember the ICU experience at all. I had several visitors - don't remember a thing !Nice to have another Hoosier on the site - where are you from? Chris

I think Versed, a drug that blocks your memory, might be used so the patient doesn't remember the procedure or ICU for that matter. I have been given that drug during each TEE that I have had (and I have had many!) and the doctor said I would talk and communicate to him, but I have absolutely no recollection of that.

I personally thought that the cathater was a whole lot worse that the breathing tube. I has such a great team in the Mayo ICCU that my throut didn't even hurt after they took out the tube. It hurt worse when the riped out the cathater.
FAYE

I forgot I had thrush in my mouth from having the venilator in for so long. That was probably one of the worst parts of recovery. It was downright gross! Layers and layers of this white junk all over my tongue and throat. It hurt to swallow and was so hard to get rid of. Pieces of white junk would peel off gradually. I had it for 6-8 weeks. Sorry this description is so graphic!!

ccrawford

ccrawford

And to all the rest. Thanks for the input. A special thanks to Chris. Fellow Hoosier Huh? :) To answer your question Chris. I live in Anderson. My surgery will be done in Indy. I consider myself to be very strong in spite of my Anxiety disorder. I must be! I had so many phobias at one time I was Agoraphobic. (House Bound) Panic attacks came out of nowhere. But I fought my way back. I'm still on Meds for it, & The panic attacks left after six years. Now this! :( But fight again I will! Win or lose I'll fight. Hugs To You all. And again, many thanks. Ps. This Baby is worth living for! Judy.

Hey Jamjude - What a lovely young lady. I can see why you are motivated. I may have missed it in another thread, but what is your condition, and status regarding surgery? I lived in Indianapolis for many years, and now enjoy the peace and quiet of the country. If you have not read thru all the postings that Nancy located in an earlier post, I would suggest you try to do so. You'll see that I was really bugged by the prospects of the tube. The more I learned about it, and thought about it with the help of all the great people on the site, the more comfortable I got with the prospects of surgery. When they wheeled me into the surgery room, I was very relaxed, and it all went very well. Remember that the professionals do a lot of these surgeries to the point that they are very routine, and they will be watching you like a hawk both during and after surgery. All the monitoring gear in the ICU is designed to track your status very closely, and you'll have an individual nurse watching you for the first day or so. In no time you'll be walking the halls, then back home to take care of that little princess of yours. Besides that, you'll have the support of all of us here at VR.com so you know nothing can go wrong !!! Chris

Hi Jamjude-

Just make sure you relate all your fears re: the vent, to your surgeon. Explain your anxiety thoroughly. Ask him/her if there is anything you personally can do to help in this regard. And ask if there is someone on his staff who can discuss the vent in detail. I believe if you understand why it is used, how it helps, and exactly what the mechanism does it will help to allay your fears. It will also help you to view this machine as a friend which is keeping you safe, when your body is temporarily unable to do sutomatic things for you.

This is in for a relatively short period of time, just until the surgical meds are gone from your system. Please try to remember that usually by day 2 after surgery you will be in a normal room and up walking around. Those few hours in the ICU you will be in La-la land for the most part anyway. There will be all kinds of marvelous machines which are a marvel of the engineering field helping you out in ICU. It's really quite magical. You will have one to one nursing care when first out of surgery.

You will be fine.

Thanks Chris & Nancy.

Thanks Chris & Nancy.

Chris I wouldn't like living in Indy. I also enjoy the quiet life now. In answer to your question Chris. I have to get a new valve. I think they said I have Aortic Stenosis. From what I gathered it's the main valve. :( I have had bouts of Strep Throat, Maybe even had Rumatic heart condition, that went un-treated. all of my life. Thanks kind sir for the words of reasurance. And Nancy. You are truely a sweetheart. ;) Thanks so very much for calming my dumb fears. :D I wish you all, Joy, Happiness, & Love. (( Hugs))) Judy.

Latest posts

Back