Replacing unknowledgable cardiologist?!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryka

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I went to see my internist yesterday for my annual check-in and routine meds-rx writing. Among the things I told him was how I am sort-of training my cardiologist as I go along. (She, a petite and sweet young blonde woman, is famous for saying "uh huh...hmmmm...ahhh" instead of answering a question.)

I told him how she (through her RN) told me to keep taking Lovenox along with the Coumadin for two days after my hip injection. I told him how people on this forum warned me against taking the two together because of the risk of "bleeding to death". I told him how I laughed but ended up bleeding through my clothes onto the bed during the night after a day of taking both.

I told him how my present cardiologist has quit screening me for aneurysms further down my aorta, etc., since my heart surgery, which I was going to tell her soon is "wrong".

My internist repeatedly warned me to get rid of this cardiologist ASAP. We talked about how I could ask for a different Cariologist in that same practice, which I found awkward, to say the least. We talked about getting with another set of cardios outside that practice. My internist said, at last: "I'm not kidding...you need another cardiologist".

So, here I am, looking for another cardio. I feel rather foolish now, having carried this woman so long with my own medical knowledge.

Last edited:
Well if the person is not doing the job, then yes, find another. I'm sort of in the same predicament, but different circumstances. My Cardio is moving to Wisconsin at the end of June. This is the same guy that was responsible for keeping me alive this long, so I'm having "letgoitis". He assures me he'll set me up with someone that is pro home testing and is just as good as he himself. I pray he's right.

Hi Maryka,

How far in the metro area are you willing to go? I ended up changing my cardiologist immediately after my surgery and am now seeing someone, to whom I was introduced by one of our VR.com members by the way and I'm pleased with the change. I have been seeing her for 1.5 years now and she is well respected, highly knowledgeable, takes a lot of time to answer my many questions thoroughly and has good relationships with some of the top surgeons in our area. If you travel during non-rush hour times (is there such a thing around here?), you can get to Reston via the Beltway and Dulles Toll Rd in 30 min. from SSpring (Beltway and Georgia Ave). The practice is Cardiac Care Associates and my Dr is Anne Summers. They also have offices in Fairfax, but I think Reston makes more sense for you. In any case, sounds like you should fire the bum and move on.

Jeff

This week my husband changed his cardiologist. In February he had a heart attacked and was assign to the cardiologist on call. When he was still in the hospital I called a friend to see who her husband cardiologist was. I knew her husband would go to one of the top cardiologist in Atlanta that worked with Saint Joseph Hospital. My husband kept his two week follow up appointment with his cardiologist that he was assign to. After that appointment we told the office that we were changing to a different cardiologist. The assigned doctor was not pleased and yes it was a very awkward moment. His assign doctor does not do heart cauterization, his office did not asked to get any records from his family doctor and at my husband last visit with him he did not answer our questions. I really like my husband new cardiologist. He asked a lot of questions, he answer our questions and his office had all of his records. I loved my cardiologist that I have at Emory but my husband cardiologist was so easy to talk to. I will keep my cardiologist out of Emory for now. To find a cardiologist asked your family doctor who he would go to if he needed a cardiologist. Call different offices and asked the staff who they would recommend and why. Years ago I was looking for a family doctor and called a office at around 5:30pm and my phone call went to a answering service and the answering service told me she was a good doctor because she always return her emergency phone calls.

This is YOUR life, do not be timid, and do not be worried about an "awkward" situation. If you are not happy or confident with your cardiologist..........definitely get someone else, you may not get a second chance. A good cardiologist, would recomend you get a second opinion if you were unsure of ANYTHING.

I give you great credit for changing your cardioologist. I wish I had the energy to do it. I should have done it long ago when I wanted and had the energy. You have probably done one of the best things for your health.I have one of the best oncologist who has managed my leukemia for 12 years. HE picked up on my heart murmer originally or I may not be here today. When someone is good and cares you can feel it. It shows. When you are treated like another patient they have to monitor you can feel it. There is a huge difference. I can never tell my oncologist how good he is. He is too humble to hear it. He just says he was lucky or something like that. I will never stop telling him how good he is. One of these days I will change my oncologist. I just hope it wont be too late.

Maryka,

I echo JeffM. In this area, we are fortunate to have a plethora of qualified cardiologists to choose from. Good for you for looking for one who is good for you!

JeffM and others: Thanks for the encouragement and ideas! I actually hate that trip around the beltway (and over the often backed-up bridge) to get to either Reston or Fairfax. I worked out in Reston for a year and getting stuck in the American Legion Bridge backups made my blood pressure rise very high! (JeffM, where you implying that your doc was on the Metro system at one location?)

It is too bad about my current doctor. They transfered me to her when she first came to the practice. She is the only woman in the practice. She reminds me of my grown daughter, so I feel "protective" of her.

Columbia, MD, is closer to me than Northern VA and my friend Carol sees a cardio up there affiliated with Johns Hopkins. My plan for today is to contact that practice because I have always trusted Hopkins. (My current cardio is affiliated with Holy Cross Hospital--not a place I would choose for heart surgery or testing...)

Good for you for seeking out a new cardiologist.

From what you've said, it sounds like this one should not be practicing medicine, at least not without going for further training.

Good for your internist for so aggressively urging you to find a NEW CARDIOLOGIST.

Latest posts

Back