Replacement Valve Failure?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"They also "believe" that the newest generation of tissue valves will last longer than the previous generation. The previous generation ("second generation") was found to have typical lifespans of 7 to 15 years, and they believe that the newer ("third generation") valves will last longer than that. That's where the comments of "up to 20 years" come from. "

How do you know which valves are third generation and which manufacturers offer them? Any fourth generation?

Thanks

My surgeon recently told me that at age 46, I should figure on getting 15 years out of a tissue valve. As for how they fail, he said bovine valves tend to become stenotic over time, while porcine valves usually tear. He prefers porcine valves for his patients because when they fail, they tear; it's easier to diagnose and the patient's quality of life up to that time is better than a slowly narrowing valve. Sounds scary (to me) but apparently either failure mode won't cause permanent harm if you keep an eye on things.

Some people's bodies react differently to valves and will calcify them at varying rates. The surgeon told me about his patient who was in her mid-70s and her previous tissue valve lasted only seven years.

If my valve can't be repaired, I'm planning to go mechanical. I suspect the noise may take some getting used to, but I'm willing to make the trade-off.

If my valve can't be repaired, I'm planning to go mechanical. I suspect the noise may take some getting used to, but I'm willing to make the trade-off.
Strictly from personal experience, what noise? Most days go by without my ever hearing it, and when I do, I usually have to be paying attention to notice it, or I hear it for a second, move, and it's gone. I know, it varies valve-by-valve and patient-by-patient. That's what makes consideration of mechanical valve sound so difficult when choosing. Yours might be noisy and it might not; you won't know for sure until after it's been installed and settled in.

That's right, Clay. We make our choice and take our chances. ;) My surgeon cautioned me that it's likely I'll hear it in a quiet room. He also said it's like living near train tracks and after awhile you don't notice anymore. I appreciate his sense of humor.

Back