REHAB question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxximom

I'm 5 weeks post op at this point and ready to start some sort of rehab program. I have looked into 2 programs..one at Duke and one at a local hospital iiin Raleigh. The local hospital moniors with a portable ekg type monitor as well as checking your B/P and the program at Duke which has the better equipment monitors with B/P and close contact with the nurses but NO EKG type monitor while working out. Have any of you had rehab experience..and what did they do for you at rehab..and did you fund the need for a portable monitor to be important? Just wondering before I decide on where to go. Any input would be appreciated.
Also..Now that I am 5 weeks out..my chest seems to be more sore (to the touch) than a few weeks ago..is this due to the nerves starting to comeing back. One thing no-one ever tells you when you have the surgery is..what is to be expected..as to normal..so I guess we all depend on feedback from each other..LOL
Joan

Hi Joan

Hi Joan

I can't offer any advice on the rehab program. I never went to one. Personally, I wouldn't travel any long distance to go to one. It sounds like your local one has it handled. The lack of an EKG sounds strange given they seem to want to hook us up to one as often as listen with a stethoscope!

I found for the first month or so, the incision felt more numb than sore. After a while it felt tender and a bit achy. I wouldn't worry about it. Out of the blue you may also get that grinding, shifting feeling of the two halves of the sternum. That is also normal. The pain probably goes away at a different pace for everybody. After my first surgery, I had a lot of sternum movement and a deep ache for a few months. This time around, no movement and very little ache, aside from a little tenderness.

Kev

Rehab

Rehab

I went to rehab but after 8 weeks They had the monotors around my nect and a girt stationed to watch everyones info on there little TV screens. I was the youngest one there but it was a small hospital. I found it gave me confidence to know what I could do. they had the Bikes .. Rower... treadmills and other things to strengthen your muscles again. Very nice people and it was incredable to me to see people come in in there 70's almose running circles on the tread mill. It was great and if you can go and have the time do it. It really helps you get your confidence back to show people who think you have heart trouble that you are fixed and as good as new. Let me know how you do. Your Doc should tell you when you are ready.
Sue

Rehab

Rehab

Maxximom, Go the rehab center that firts your schedule best. It is definetly worth going thru it, although it will be hard at first. You will be amazed at how your strength comes back. Good luck!

Hi Joan

Hi Joan

When I entered my Phase II cardiac rehab my local (cheesey) hospital did have the EKG type durring work out and periodic monitoring of your BP.
I suggest a rehab program that can provide you with at least those two.
Your heart rate and rythm are very important to track while begining the final phase of your rehab to normal. BP is obvious, but still very important.

I was what was referred to as a gym rat prior to my Ross Procedure and (working on getting back to where I need to be) highly suggest you enter an actual "Phase II' type program. It will have your cardio work out and some minor resistance training to go along with it.

Just my $0.02

God Bless,

Ben

Hi!

Took my husband (surgery October 3rd) for the first visit to cardiac rehab. (He had AVR and MVR).

When they put him on the bike for about one minute his heart rate went up to 150. They nearly fell over themselves to get him to stop to slow down his heart. They wrote up some report, and asked that he give it to his Dr., whi we were seeing that same day. (PCP, not cardiologist). His primary care dr. told him to increase the attenenol. (He had been taking 25mg in am and 12.5 mg in the evening, so now he takes a full pill in the evening).

Question: What should the heart rate be during nominal excercise? Why would his HR increase so much? Any input would be appreciated.

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth-

Only a guess, but the heart rate can go as high as 150-160 with exercise when you're out of shape. But after surgery, they don't want the heart to work that hard, so that's probably the reason they upped his dose. It will help bring his heart rate down so his healing heart doesn't have to work so hard.

Good news about rehab though. Good luck.

Back