Regurgitation after David procedure?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psptac

Hi everyone, for those of you who have had the David procedure aka VSRR (valve-sparing root replacement) done on their aortic valve, what was your regurgitation severity on your post op echos?

Background: I'm 34M, diagnosed in April with BAV with severe aortic regurgitation (AR). I had surgery in May and had 3 echos so far: a TEE in the OR, a regular echo 3 days post op, and a regular echo 3 months post op.

The three showed my AR was trace, mild-moderate, and mild-moderate respectively. I had hoped that the AR would be better than this so soon after the surgery.

I'm curious how other folks that had this procedure had their aortic regurgitation progress over time.

Thanks!

(valve-sparing root replacement) done on their aortic valve, what was your regurgitation severity on your post op echos?
ok, so its not exactly the same, but I had my valve and aortic root replaced with someone elses (in a homograft). Mine therefore was not my already non functioning. What I can say is that there is statistics and there is what happens to you. What happens to you is unpredictable (outside a statistical analysis) but you can't change it. So what you can do is only adapt to and accept what happens to you.

My advice is to not attempt to predict; which presupposes then an expectation. Just live with the future being the uncertainty that it in reality is.

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html
We are how we react to what happens, not what happens to us. Live for the now and plan for the future; but keep your mind and your experience in the now.

Best Wishes

'm curious how other folks that had this procedure had their aortic regurgitation progress over time.
I had a T-David IV that lasted 20 years. Stenosis was my final issue that drove me to an AVR. My guess is that the outcome is very subjective depending on the surgeon, the level of fusion of leaflets and any surgical intervention. After my surgery my surgeon mentioned that they had to clean up some calcification plus tightened the leaflet(s). I also think that the interplay between the valve and the size and shape your new aortic root comes into play hemodynamically.

These surgeons truly are masters. In my opinion.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back