Reduced temperature regulation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amy

My husband is having an aortic valve replacement in two weeks. For the past 19 years, he has always felt hot and I would have a quilt covering me. The past few weeks have been reversed. I was wondering if this can be caused by reduced circulation due to decreased pumping efficiency of the heart.

I suppose it's possible, though I don't really know.

I'm about to have mine done and I swing both ways, Cold one minute, hot the next.

You might want to ask the Cardiologist about it, but I think you might well be right. By the way, when is your husbands surgery scheduled? Mine is for the 22nd. Oppss, the 19th for your hubby. I should look at the calendar before I ask. :eek:

Last edited:
reduced temperature regulation

reduced temperature regulation

My husban's surgery date has been changed to July 24th. I am having neck surgery on July 9th. We thought that it would be wise to give me a few more days to recouperate before my husband's surgery

Sounds like your hands are full. Best wishes for the both of you and be sure to let us know how your doing, as well as your husband, if you can sit and type. You may not feel like it. :)

thanks

thanks

Thank you for your warm wishes for my husband. I wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you.

Amy,
My temp control was all over the map before surgery and for about two weeks afterwards. I don't think this is unusual from what I've heard from others, and probably has to do with less than perfect heart function. I'm now 4 weeks post op, and everything seems to be getting back to normal.

Best wishes to BOTH of you with your upcoming surgeries.

--John

Hi Amy,

I would agree with your theory, but don't have any medical facts to back it up, just my own experience. I had VERY severe aortic regurgitation, and my hands were ALWAYS freezing cold, along with the rest of me. I had a big black sweater at work, and had to take a hot shower before bed in order to stop shivering so that I could get to sleep. After my surgery, I noticed a change - my hands were WARM!! Now that it's summer, it's hard to tell (anyone's hot in 90+ degree weather!) I attributed all this to the circulation problem, or maybe all my energy being used by the heart to pump blood, with none left to provide body heat.

Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow, and you're hubby's too. Hang in there....!

-Jennie

Back