Recovery Time...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave5Baseball

My doctor's told me it takes about 6-8 weeks to recover after the operation. As an EMT I'm moving and lifting people everyday. Any idea how long it's going to take for me to do that again?

Also, I play baseball in the summer time. Should I be ok to play this summer? My surgery is on Dec. 6th.

I would give at least 3 months, perhaps longer, before starting to lift heavy objects. Talk to your Doc about it. As for baseball, you should be o.k. in time for games, but maybe not practice, if practice starts during spring. It's really hard to say actually. People heal at different rates, as you already know. It's more of a judgement call and informed decision by your Doctor. :)

By the way, what position do you play in baseball?

Last edited:
wHEN YOU leave the hosp they tell you not to lift anything, a bit later they say up to 5 lbs - next visit in about 3-4 wks you can lift 10 lbs and it progresses from there. I think you will definitely not be back to lifting folks onto guerneys for some time after surgery. Maybe you could just drive - but you can't drive for about 5-6 weeks, either. This is major surgery and as an EMT you know what that is. You won't be doing much stuff at 6 weeks or even 8 weeks. But next summer, as Ross says, you should be ready for baseball. Others will be along with information on their progress in 6-8 weeks. You just ain't well by then.

How long you will take to "recover" depends very much on how you define "recovery." You can define it to apply to the time you leave the recovery room or ICU. I do as much or more now (one year after surgery) than I ever did, but I'll never "recover" emotionally from that life-changing experience.
Talk to your doctor for specifics in your case. I don't understand why there is so much variation in the advice people receive. I was clearly told to lift no more than 10 pounds for 2-4 months, until the sternum heals, with no restriction thereafter. I couldn't drive for three weeks after I left the hospital, which is close to the least anyone has reported. I worked years ago in a non-ambulatory ward, and I have some memories of how extremely heavy a dead weight can be; I think you want to talk to your doctor carefully before you start lifting people again.

Recovery Time?

Recovery Time?

Recovery time and how soon people can go back to work varies with the patient ( age, preop condition, post op complications, etc.) , the type of surgery, how long on the pump, etc. It took me about two years of faithful rehab before I really felt well and could hit a golf ball 150 yards but then I was 72 when I had the surgery 4 years ago. However I have a young friend( 45) who had AVR for BAV 5 years ago. He now runs 10 K and marine corps marathon but he also said it was two years to full recovery. Sure you might go back to a sedentery job in eight weeks but in my view not to that demanding EMT work. Post op you will need weeks of rehab including aerobic for your heart and weights to get your muscles toned up. If you are otherwise healthy I would say with a good rehab program you would probably be at full strength in six to twelve months.

Driving

Driving

Lifting, recovery. ..depends a lot on you..Will you have a foggy head for awhile. You sure don't want to be driving an ambulance.Weaving in and out of traffic.I'm like Ross. at least 3 months or more to lift heavy objects.Can you get on as a 911 operator for at least 6 months?Or something around the station. How about being the cook. :D :D Seriously, you and only you will know when you are ready..Bonnie

Hi!
I am 34 years old and 9 weeks post op. Everyone is right when they say recovery depends alot on the individual. I have just started going back to work, medical record dept., and I am lifting stacks of charts and moving them around. They are not as heavy as carrying people on a stretcher and I can still feel the heaviness of the charts sometimes pulling on the sternum and around my ribs and shoulder blades. I have to stop and move the charts in smaller piles. I talked to someone in rehab where I work, and they told me that it takes about 6 months for the sternum to completely heal. Again, it could be more or less depending on the person. Just be very careful and don't rush back into anything before you are ready. I have two children and I can pick them up ok. One is 18 lbs and I have no trouble with her, but the other is 32 lbs and I only lift her if I absolutely have to.

Take Care!
Gail

Hi Dave

Welcome. I see you are from the Chicago area. Are you having your surgery locally?

I would categorize sternum healing vs. feeling fully recovered differently. If you can help it...... try to stretch the heavy lifting at least 8-10 weeks. Ask your doctor his thoughts on your 'on the job' lifting. There is a small possibility you could pop a wire after the sternum is fully healed. This tends to be uncomfortable, plus you may need to return to have the wire removed. My child was 25 lbs or so and I had to avoid lifting.

As far as having my energy level back to normal. 11 months post op....I woke up one day feeling amazing. Sounds like an awful long time, and it was. I was informed it could take up to a full year to feel 100%. This will vary from person to person.
I was 30 and in great physical condition at the time of my MVR, almost 4 years ago now.

Dave
You should be fine for basebal
Lifting is another matter. It really does depend on you.
After the surgery you will realize just how much you use your chest muscles for everyday activities.
Follow what your doc says and give it a little time.
My cardio said "No post hole digging for a year and no vacuuming either." I have managed to avoid post hole digging, but not vacuuming.

-Mara

Hi Dave-

Regarding baseball, you really have to run that by the surgeon and your doctors. There's a lot of upper body torquing going on with a swing at bat, and there are also pretty tough moves like sliding into base, or even possibly getting hit with a baseball or even falling hard.

I'd rather have you be safe and ask that question. The doctors will know how much healing to expect at what stage on your recovery and how much stress to put on your chest.

I do believe that my husband tore some stitching in his mitral valve replacement when he fell very hard during a faint soon after surgery. He had to have a repair done on it.

But, be sure not to do that other basebal with the second "l". See Ross Y about a chest protector, I understand he is well equiped against baseballs but not kitty cats, huh, Ross?

Sorry, Mara, I being a pedantic plick today.

But, seriously, it seems advice from the docs is all over the map.

My guy told me I could now (10 weeks post op) do any darned thing I want. I'm here to tell you there are some things I just know I don't "want" to do. Being the house husband these days I can't avoid the vacuum cleaner kind of exercise. My wife has "demanded" I exert my self in a number of other ways recently, I seem to have survived. I think cardiac rehab would have been very useful from what others have said here, it would have been too inconvienent for me to particpate. So walking and puttering around the house is my rehab. Now I need to get out and go to work, before I go nuts, or become a bigger couch potato.

Your body will keep you informed as to its level of readyness for each next stage. At least that has been my experience.

Pumpheadedness might leave you with a "deer in the headlights" look as a baseball is thrown or hit toward you, slowed reaction time might be a drawback should that be a lasting side effect. But, my bet is that you will be fine by next summer.

As others have said, thay EMT stuff with bodys and pulling and tugging might be a problem for a while.

Take care and good luck.

Bill

My post above was started to fall just after Mara's but Nancy got in while I was picking my words to be "cute". I did not see and "ignore" Nancy's as always sage advice. She makes a couple of really good points to consider. She is a motherly guru to many of us here.

Best

Dave,

As the others have said...recovery is all over the place. I think I bounced back pretty good, but it was probably 10 to 14 weeks before I could lift a hay bale (some45-50#) with both hands...it torqued my sternum or something...I could move a bale at about 6 weeks with one hand...read that move a short distance and not raise above my head. After the first 4 days at home, I could pull individual flakes out and carry two or three at a time. I showed my first goat (Pygmies - about 70 -80 #) in May, but didn't show my adult bucks until July. Didn't really ride my motorcycle until August...just felt funny and I had a vision problem that bugged me.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill (or Bil) you are too funny.

Give me a break on the typing, I can't be perfect all the time.

The docs told me in August I could do whatever with the exception of heavy muscle training, too much stress on the aorta.

As Bill points out, Nancy always has the sage and advice.
I guess it all depends on when Dave's season starts: in April or later in the summer. Maybe they can get a DH for Dave.

Dave,

I'm coming up on 4 months post-op and will share some of my experiences. But keep in mind that I'm a bit more than twice your age. My surgery was also different: mitral valve repair and CABG x2.

Before surgery I was fairly active, road cycling with the 19-20 mph group and lots of running refereeing soccer. I've been cycling since week 6 and am now at the 17-18 mph mark. I tried some jogging at 2 months but found it uncomfortable in the chest. Started again two days ago at a very light pace. Comfortable enough, but no speed. I'm hoping to be in condition to referee some easy youth games after the first of the year and work up from there. Stair climbing is another one of my self-tests. Pre-op I would rapidly walk up three flights. Now I make two comfortably if a bit more slowly than before. The best thing is that I see steady improvement, but I still have quite a way to go before I'm back at my pre-op level.

My strategy is to keep pressing to improve. I'm confident I will regain my previous performance level and improve on it, but the rate at which this will occur is something I cannot predict. It's sometimes frustrating but I know I have to accept it.

It's amazing how much variation there is in doctor advice concerning lifting. My surgeon lifted all formal restrictions at 6 weeks but my cardiologist told me to avoid upper body strength exercises until at least 4 months.

-- roy --

Last edited:
Well as you can see a lot depends on age,physical condition,etc.
I was 58 at that time.My doctor said no lifting over five pounds for ten weeks.I did drive After four weeks but I have to say it was very uncomfortable.I think it was also extremely dangerous like what if you were to get in an accident and get clobbered by the steering wheel or air bag.With an unhealed sternum it could be a total disaster.So take your time and make sure you are phsically ready to go.I never was sent to re-hab,instead I started walking one week after surgery.I walked one mile twice a day every day warm or cold rain or snow.It really got me in great shape fast.
So the very best to you on your surgery and I'm sure we all will be looking to hear from you on the 'other side'.

Rich

Hi Rich

Hi Rich

Good to see your picture with your post. I basically did the same recovery as you (and we are the closest in age on VR) I'm 62..I, too, just walked..I'm 8 months post now and started getting lazy when cold, rainy season in North Ga. started...But try to walk on all pretty days...Do you home test on your INR. 6 years on Coumadin. Bet you don't dwell on it like us newer Valvers:D :D :D Take Care..Bonnie

Ann,

that Bonnie sure has been paying a lot of attention to the guys pictures lately and how "good looking" they are. Winter is just starting here, but maybe spring comes early in the mountains of north Georgia.

Dave,

I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs for the first 6 weeks, then no more than 40 lbs until 6 Months post. I just had my 6 month check up and my cardiologist removed all restrictions but to 'work up' to heavier loads. Others have also pointed out to NEVER hold your breath when doing heavy lifting because that puts excessive pressure on your heart / valve / aorta. My docs let me drive at 4 weeks with a caution to be careful and only go when / where necessary (i.e. to Doctor's offices for followup). Truck and Professional Driving is restricted for at least 6 weeks, maybe more. Best to check with your surgeon.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back