Recently diagnosed (like Hours ago)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of us know how to read that like a doctor, but it sounds to me like you're still in pretty good shape, comparatively. I'm betting you'll have to wait a few years to join the club.

Thanks Sumo. Now that I've been running and biking aggressively again, I do feel much better. As far as waiting a few years to "join the club", I could wait the rest of my life and it wouldn't really hurt my feelings if I was kept out of that exclusive club. Actually, "joining the club" is a frightful thought for me. Honestly speaking, it scares the crap out of me.

I know that my fears must seem petty and minor to some here, and perhaps in the grand scheme they are. However, if there is anything I can do, now, that would keep me out of "the club", I figure that you guys are the ones to talk to about it and so far, I have appreciated the insight and advice both to myself, and from other threads that I have read over the past week.

All of you on this site are a bunch of amazing, supportive and insightful people. I hope that God continues to bless each and every one of you!

Jeff

I don't think any of us consider your fears to be minor..but I do hope they
turn out to be. I had heart dysfunction for 15 years and was fine with
running,biking,etc,it just finally caught up with me-though my problem is
much different.
I think the trick is to get the surgery before you see damage/enlargement occurring or you become increasingly symptomatic -SOB, fluid retention, or fatigue- and to do this you and a cardio that you trust need to watch closely.
Well wishes-Dina

I agree with Sumo and Bina both. I think once we become 'members' of the club our outlook is different. For your sake and your family keep on top of things, be checked on a regular basis and do what you can in the mean time. None of us want to go down this road again, but we're all happy we are club members and can talkl about it. Maybe that is part of our calling in life.:)

"As far as waiting a few years to "join the club", I could wait the rest of my life and it wouldn't really hurt my feelings if I was kept out of that exclusive club. Actually, "joining the club" is a frightful thought for me. Honestly speaking, it scares the crap out of me."

Hi JeffB,

From the sounds of it, you are willl be joining a few of us in the 'waiting' or as some like to refer to it, the 'living room'. I hope it stays that way for you for a long time.

I couldn't agree with you more that 'joining this exclusive club' is frightening. Frankly, I don't think any of us would join by choice. However....the people in the club (as you noted) are an amazing group of informed, thoughtful and compassionate individuals. I count myself fortunate to be in their company.;)

Good luck with the future tests and keep us posted.

Thanks Ottawa Gal!

I see that by your signature that we're about the same, with the exception that your a little more advanced than myself.

What are your tell tell signs that you've over exerted yourself? Since I've just started to exercise again, I don't want to mis-read normal pain from something that could be serious.

Thanks!

Hi JeffB,

As a result of my 'diagnosis' with severe aortic stenosis last year, I have had to reduce my activity level based on my cardiologist's recommendations. This makes it very difficult for me to tell whether I have overexerted or not as I can no longer compare it to my previous level of activity.

When I exercise, I only work out to reach 60% of cardiac output rather than the usual 80-90%. I have also been advised against playing volleyball, and have been told that most activities should now be done at a "leisurely" pace" (cardiologist's exact words). Every situation is different and there are a number of factors the cardiologist considers when making decisions on exercise etc. for patients.

Last year, I had an episode where I went for a long bike ride in the hills and did a full out sprint at the end of this ride on a very hot day. I became short of breath, all my extremities went numb and I almost passed out. Looking back now, I most definitely over exerted myself and hate to think what the outcome could have been!

Sorry that I can't be much help with this question. As many members say, listen to your body and your will know when enough is enough This may something you will want to further discuss with your cardiologist.

All the best! :)

Latest posts

Back