Really Nervous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave
I knew that you would get lots of good advise here..If you don't have someone to post for you..Tell your Mother to call me (she has my phone number) and I will be happy to update everyone here for you..with all the good news:) of your recoveryI found the recliner a very good thing to use for the first week or two. Then I made a "nest" of every pillow in the house and was more comfortable in my own bed. I did wake up about every 2 hours.so getting some sustained sleep was difficut for a while. Once I could roll over and sleep on my side again..I slept very well. Oh yes..on trick that might help you..I used a soft down pillow under the seat belt when we were in the car. It kept the shoulder stap away from the incision and acted as some protection just in case the air bag should deploy.I also found that everything tasted awful for at least 8 weeks..things either tasted bitter or metallic..evn my beloved chocolate..that was the worst part:( Unfortanatly my appatite has returned.You certainly will need help the first 2 weeks that you are home..You won't believe how tired you will feel just doing your walking and you will learn to love your naps.
Stay in touch
Joan

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you have to join the club here! Once you are convinced that this surgery is what you need to do - and it sounds like you are - that is the hardest part, I thought. Not to say recovery wasn't easy - I am glad that's over for me (I'm 15 weeks now) - I had some tough weeks. But, the time leading up to it was the hardest, emotionally and all that. The surgery itself was plug-and-chug (more or less!).

Pain? Some in the ICU, some in the hospital - most of this happened when the drugs wore off - either intentionally (to switch me to a different pain killer and also wean me off the vent) or unintentionally (be sure to make a mental note of when your last pain pill was, in case the nurses forget to bring another in XX number of hours). But it was nothing to freak out about. I was actually glad to get a taste of it, for the sake of the experience (I am curious in very wierd ways sometimes!) No worries for you.

Tube? I was concious for about 3-4 hours in the ICU before they took the vent out. At first I was hardly aware of it, too busy looking at the clock for some reason. (I guess I couldn't wait for morning to come, to see my friends). Nurse kept coming to tell me that "it will come out soon", and after a while, that bugged me, why even tell me this until they're ready to do it SOON? But, at some point I did begin to gag on it, and I had to mentally calm myself down and relax and say "no, Jen, it's okay, just chill". Taking it out was trully unpleasant, but that only took a couple minutes or so. You'll be fine.

I guess in the hospital, it's like, hey, whatever. Want some blood? Here's my arm. I don't care for needles, and I thought I would get woozy over having an IV in my wrist for eight days, but it truly did not bother me at all. Just don't even think about it, take it one thing at a time. That included looking closely at my scar - I knew it would freak me out, so I didn't even go there until about three weeks later. I just got quick glances in the mirror and kept telling myself, it will look better soon, don't worry about it. Someone as young as you, no problem, most likely you'll breeze through and be feeling tolerable in no time. I like what Mara said about feeling like you have a turtle shell on your chest. I felt like Madonna in her little metal outfit! Most of my recovery was dealing with depression, fatigue/lack of energy, frustration at getting tired out so much, and just general muscular/skeletal "discomfort". When I finally realized I had to lay off the chores and get the couch time in, I got a few novels and kicked back and had an enjoyable time.

I went back to work around eight weeks. Took a few half days for a while, just got worn out. Part of that was starting up on some new meds that sapped all my energy out of me. I think I would have been good to go much quicker if it weren't for this. I really had no pump-head stuff, I was back to designing boards fairly quickly. I mainly had trouble remembering the names of miscellaneous contacts at work, simply because I hadn't thought of them in so long.

Anyway, hope this helps. Like I said, if you are mentally and emotionally sure that this is the right thing to do, you'll be able to make it through no problem. Keep us posted, let me know if you have any more questions.

best wishes!
-JEnnie

Dave,

I know what you mean, I had the same fears. About 10 weeks ago I had a Heart valve repair, that only lasted for about 8 weeks, so I had to go back under the knife for a mitral valve replacement two weeks ago, I just got out of the hospital last night. (hello group, I made it! :) glad to be home)

So having essentially the whole open heart enchilada twice in the last few months, I will relate my experiences in regards to your questions.

1st off dont worry, it will be OK. I see it this way,

1.God loves you
2.The surgery is neccessary, so its a no brainer that you will go for it.

I definitely hear the click, tick tick tick, its like I have a big Timex in my chest.

You will be on Coumidin, so they will tell you to stay away from excesive sources of Vitimin K, leafy grean foods mostly. But as you will find out, there is a lot of differing advice on this, and most likely you will find that maintaining your coumidin level will not be that difficult with a consistent diet. (This is what I was told, its only my second day on Coumidin.)

Pain? Not very much pain for me. Not nearly as much as I imagined.
For me the roughest part both times was a few days after surgery, at that point I felt really confined and was the most aware of pain, but all you have to do is ask, and they will give you all the pain medicine you need, it really isnt a high pain surgery for most, not for me.

No trouble with the tube, I dont remember it either time, just woke up in my room, and felt no pain. Still heavily medicated at this point.

You are right about the attitude thing, truly a time to just be happy.

Good Luck and God be with you!, Dave.

Best Regards,

Chad

Hi Chad-

You've been through a lot recently. I'm so glad to hear that everything is OK now and that you're home now. You must tell your story in detail when you have time.

Take care and no more surprises, please.

Dave-
Fear not. The surgery it scary, but, for me, it was not as bad as I had imagined. The only personal experience I had had with open heart surgery was my grandfather's, back 20 years ago. He was sick as could be afterward. But that was because 1. he was older, 2. he was very ill before the surgery, 3 he had a lot of different heart problems from me. So, I expected to be in the hospital for weeks and then just an invalid at home for months. Not so. I was out of the hospital in 4 days, walking, talking and ready to go home. I was tired, but felt so much better.

you won't get bored until about week 5. Then you will be ready for more. Still, I had a stack of books I was going to read and my friend brought me a bunch of videoes to watch, never did either. I had no attention span and could not concentrate for that long thanks to the old by-pass pump. You won't be on that long for a mechanical. I was on 4 hours. (Nothing compared to John Cochran, though. )

Take the recovery time. You need it. Don't pressure yourself. You deserve to recover at your body's own speed. Nothing is more important than your health.
I had a business trip about 12 weeks post-op and that was okay but it was only an overnighter.

when you feel yourself start to freak out, just think about how much better you will feel post-op. That's what I did. But, I had known since about age 4 that I would need the surgery, so I had 30 years to get ready for it. The way you feel post op is so different. You won't believe how tired you were before, even if you don't feel like it now. Another good thing is to think about all those old slobby guys who get by-pass surgery because they smoked and ate fried foods for 40 years. Those old geezers cruise through by-pass, you will do the same with your valve replacement. If those guys can muscle it, so can you!

Good Luck!
-Mara

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the site. I also live in Nashville and had my aortic valve replaced 3/23/00 at Vanderbilt. They had a great group of people there working with / on me.

If you feel like talking with me, please e-mail me and we can get in touch. my e-mail is [email protected]

You already have received many answers to your concerns with the other postings. I am also working with computer software and travel often, so please feel free to contact me in regards to any questions that I may be of help.

Where are you having your surgery?

Wishing you a successful surgery and full and speedy recovery,

Rob

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Everyone,

Again, I want to thank you (from the bottom of my defective heart) how your words are helping me. As I am getting closer to the 21st, the anxiety is starting to come back again. I am really trying not to get depressed, but it is difficult. Sometimes, I want to get in the car, and drive for hours and not think about anything. Then, I think of my family, and snaps me back to reality.

I am getting my surgery done at St. Thomas Heart Institute here in Nashville. I have been told by many people that it is a great heart hospital. My surgeon is top notch.

It still doesn't make it any easier. I still can't get over the thought of waking up with a tube down my throat and my hands bound. Yes, I know the binding of my hands is a safety percaution. However, what happens if I wake up gagging and the nurse is on a coffee break? Sorry folks, my mind is wandering bad now :eek:)

Have any of you "experienced" patients, notice weight loss since your taste buds temporarily changed after the surgery?

Last, I am one of those people who are perception cautious about work. Stupid to think like that, I know. I just want to bounce back to my life routine as soon as possible.

Okay, I am done ranting and raving now.

Dave-
The nurse will not be on her coffee break! Dave, you will probably not even know you had the tube in, except for the excessive thirst. The second you start to wake up they yank that sucker. Do not worry. When it's over you won't even care. I vaguely rememer the nurse telling me to take an deep breath (ha!) and cough and out that tube came. It's nothing compared to when they pulled the chest tubes! That's a very weird feeling and you're wide awake for that. Kind of like getting the wind knocked out of you.

I lost weight for about three days. Since then, nothing. In fact, I gained. No one can explain this. I have changed eating habits to include more fruits and veggies, less red meat, no sugary sodas, and more water. Hmmmm, go figure that one out. I blame the by-pass pump.

You can bounce back, but you will never be the same, and I mean that in a good way. It all changes after the surgery. At least for me, it did. For the first time in my life I can exercise at a "normal" pace. I am not tired and best of all I don't hear that damn murmur in my head at night.

Dave, I know you are anxious, and you are allowed to freak out, but everything will turn out alright. You have to think positively. Your mind set is so important in this.

You'll cruise right through.

-Mara

Dave,

I hear your ANXIETY and can relate to it.

I have two suggestions:

First, talk with your surgeon or his assistant about your concerns over the intubation tube, or better yet, go visit the CICU and speak with one of the nurses about your concerns and how to handle the possibility of awaking with the tube still in your throat.

MOST LIKELY, given your age, good general health (I assume you do NOT smoke), they will pull it before you are even fully conscious. That was the case for BOTH of my surgeries and I'm 58 !

Second, if you are still anxious the morning of your surgery, TELL the nurse or surgeon or assistant. They have LOTS of ways to relax you and / or make sure you don't even remember going to the OR.

Just keep reminding yourself, EVERYONE here on VR.com, and thousands of others, have all gone through this same basic operation and we are all still kicking. That's what got me through my surgeries. For the first one, I accepted a next day cancellation and had NO training or instruction. Just knowing that 10 of my coworkers had all come through the same (bypass) surgery at the same hospital gave me comfort that I too would make it OK.

In the mean time, try to think of OTHER things. A little diversion might be a good thing. Also, buy / rent some FUNNY movies. Laughter is good medicine.

Best wishes, 'AL'

Dave,
I'm seconding everything Mara and Al said (and all the other good advice posted in this thread). Your feelings right now sound a lot like the rest of us before surgery. I remember wanting to go hide in Mexico. The fear of being bound (not necessarily gonna happen) and the ventilator tube are normal, but guess what...we all got through it and so will you. Matter of fact, there is a fair chance you won't even remember it. The post-op nursing team will be watching you like a hawk. You'll be hooked up to monitors and someone will be watching every beat of your heart. Dream up your worst case scenario, and you know what? They've dealt with it before and they'll take care of it for you. It is VERY hard to give up control and put total trust in strangers, but in hind sight, it was one of the very best experiences of my life in terms of lessons learned. There are wonderful caring highly trained professionals that are going to go out of their way not only to get you through this, but to make you as comfortable as possible with the whole process. Trust them and just remember you just have to deal with this one event at a time.

It is normal to have flights of panic before surgery, but you will be surprised that as the time draws closer, an interesting calm will start to come over you. You'll start to focus on what your life will be like when the surgery is over and you've recovered. Not only will you be healthier physically, but having gotten "over the mountain" will give you a level of confidence in what you can do that few people ever have...a confidence that will extend to your entire view of life. You will be a new man in more ways than one.

This is a time to put your faith in your fellow man, trust in the professionalism of the team caring for you, and look forward to how grand life will be with this necessary surgery in your past.

Last but not least, you'll have a whole team here offering their prayers and best wishes to get you through this with flying colors.

Hang in there, you can do it!

--John

Last edited:
Dave..It is perfectly normal to be scared S***less..we all were!! Reading all the posts here and the encouragemant on this boaard..knowing everyone here had the same worries and fears and made it through just fine..are what helped me. First of all you are a young man..in good shape. I was a 70year old, diabetic, very overweight (ask you mom) women..so I had maany things that I was very worried about:( that you are most foortunate not to be concerned with. I was also (ass I wrote before) almost phobic about having the tube down my throat and fearful of gagging and throwing up (I am dental phooobic for that reason) Please speak with your Surgeon and the Anesthesia people about your fear prior to surgery..They will work with you to assure you that they will "pull the tube" while you are unaware of it..if at all possible. The nurses will be at your bedside at all times while you are in the CCIU..believe me they don't even go for a potty break without having someone at your bedside at all times:p I donot remember having my hands tied down at all..I do remember trying to communicate with my hands for ice chips and other gestures while in the CCIU..and with great success. The only pain that I had was when they pulled out the pacing wires (I had a triple bypass as well as a AVR) and I'm not sure if they use pacing wires for only a AVR. And that pain only lasted for a minute. Dave believe me when I tell you..I am a total chicken when it comes to pain..I am one of those people who is much to aware of there bodys..and I notice every little chane or ache or pain. I did fine..there was very little pain..discomfort..Yes!! pain..NO!!
I found that food did taste awful to me and I happily lost about 22 pounds in the first month..I really needed to do that anyhow. I have worked at keeping most of it off. All of us here are being honest with you about our experiences..nnno one is trying in anyway to minamize their experience..some of us have had easier times of and some of us have had much harder times..but we are all here!!YOU will be FINE!! Keep writing and we will be here for you and try and keep you calm!:)
I saw your Mother last night and told her that you had posted..andd that I will post the good news to the group when ssshe calls me after your surgery
Goood luck!!
Joan

Hi Dave!!

Hi Dave!!

Yes, Dave, you did certaily find the "right place"!! There are so many different and yet similar experiences here that it is easy to see all the "sides" which I know is how a business analyst sizes things up. There are 2 things that will really help you be up and out as soon as possible and they will be stressed by your cardio, but do take them seriously. Aerobic exercise asap and breathing exercises. In the hospital they will bring you an incentive spirometer the day after your surgery. Work very hard with it to get your breathing back to normal. It will be somewhat short right after the surgery plus it will help keep your lungs clear. And walk, walk, walk. The second day I was walking the halls (me and my IV "dancing partner"). By the end of the first week, I was walking a mile a day and by the time I went back to work 6 weeks later (probably could have gone back earlier, but decided to enjoy the "vacation" a little longer), I was walking 4-5 miles a day. It felt GREAT!! Little pain, but discomfort, yes. Slow movements first week or so. Take Christina's advice and have a small pillow for those sneezing or coughing episodes--just press on the incision to block the jolt. (Those of us who also had C-sections already knew that drill!) Clicking is no big deal--rarely hear it. The coumadin is no big deal either really--the testing is the most aggravation. I think I was back up better than par, working circles around the "youngsters" (I am a bank financial manager), long before a year was out. But you DO have to take care of yourself. I think all of your direct questions got answered--just wanted to throw out the walking and breathing exercises because they are also very important to getting back to "normal". Good luck! Stick with all of us here and we will help however we can! Susan

OPPORTUNITY

OPPORTUNITY

Dave.

Try and psyche yourself up for this operation. I won't go into what I have been through as it isn't too relevant. You are looking for a way to prevent damage to your heart muscle. Guess what, surgery is the only way (given all the data you've collected thus far). Start to plan your post surgery days. Focus on how you can be more comfortable at home (i.e. food, clothing, someone to monitor your visitation with friends, etc). About the visitors issue, it gets tiring visiting with firends so you may need to limit your time talking. I've read practically all the postings on this thread and I feel you've been given very solid advice. You don't have a choice at this point. Leap of faith is in order for you.....

Dave

Dave

I am a veteran of sorts on bypass surgery. Here is my story and mybe it will give you comfort and ease some of your fears. It began in the year 1973, October. I was eight years then and was having bypass for the first time. The type of surgery was still experimental for children at the time. The surgeon repaired by aortic valve and scraped some of the disease that affected my heart, that was causing murmur. There was a small amount left in the valve, so I still had a hear murmur. The repair was a success and it was over twenty years later, exactly almost 28 years later, the aortic valve was replaced with a St. Jude's valve. It was never a secret that one day the valve would have to be replaced. I am glad that I went through the second bypass and had the replacement done. I feel so much better now and more healthy and get out so much more. I walk without stopping to cathch my breathe. I walk the treadmill thre to four times a week. And soon will be doing a more cadio workout. It takes some time to recover. I had to wait an extra two weeks before going back to work. And when I did, I would hunch over the keyboard and would have to slowly straighten out. It takes time and I am much better now. You take care and be sure to get educated before surgery. It is not all bad. You will feel better, walk more, breather better, not get tired so easily. Come in as often as you need to.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's vavle

Dave, you could get in your car and drive and drive, but guess what? You would soon want your supper, your bed and your family - everybody has to go home again.

Doubt your hands will be tied or if they are, you won't even know it and certainly not remember it. You are here at a time when we are having one of the most troublesome recoveries I have seen so far - Ross. Please do not think he is typical. Ross had other health problems going in and he told us he would have a bad time and he was right, but that doesn't help you and others who are having surgery this week. Ross is atypical, believe me. It may be that you will go in, go to sleep, wake up to a whole new beautiful world that will give you many new and wonderful years ahead. So, let your higher power take over and handle it for you. You must have faith - it's important. God bless

Latest posts

Back