Ramipril use and its side effects?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleSteve

I first had surgery 15+ years a go to replace my aortic valve and route which had swollen to over 75mm (due to Marfan Syndrome). At that time I was put on some sort of Beta Blockers (BB) which knocked me out, so was sleeping around 18+ hours a day. Obviously this was way too much, especially as I had to go to work as well, so I stopped taking the BB's to get a little life back.

I'm now on the waiting list (after fighting for a year) to have my Tricuspid and Mitral valves replaced/repaired due to regurgitation. I've now been put on Ramipril. Over the past year or so, my health has deteriorated surprisingly quickly where I'm far more tired (usually by around 4pm I need a sleep as I and tired and can not concentrate), so was wondering if the Ramipril is partly responsible for my tiredness (similar to the BB's) or is my tiredness entirely due to my heart being faulty?

I suspect as before people will advise against ceasing the medication, but as before I need my life to be more comfortable.

My younger brother had the same issue with his BB's and used to cut his BB's in half, however the Ramipril are capsules, so not easy to half.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Have you considered speaking with your cardiologist to see if you can try a different medication? There could be another that would treat your condition but not have such extreme side effects for you.

Sorry to hear what you are going through and wish you the best.

Have you considered speaking with your cardiologist to see if you can try a different medication? There could be another that would treat your condition but not have such extreme side effects for you.

Sorry to hear what you are going through and wish you the best.

Thanks for your reply. Good advice, however every time I've attended the clinic, I get a different consultant and they don't seem very consistent with advice, plus it can take month and months to see anyone, hence asking here first.

….every time I've attended the clinic, I get a different consultant and they don't seem very consistent with advice, plus it can take month and months to see anyone, hence asking here first.
What about asking your GP ? When I was on beta blockers post surgery my GP changed what I was having. If your GP didn't feel qualified to change yours maybe he would contact the consultant. Btw, if you are seeing a different 'consultant' every time that means you are probably seeing one of the registrars under the consultant. There's usually only a couple of consultant cardiologists at most hospitals and your GP would be able to contact the one you are really under even if you never see him. I'm sure our American cousins won't understand this little aspect of our NHS !

Palegirl, you are correct, it is the registrars that I have been seeing, its very difficult to actually see the top man.

The whole thing depresses me very much, even trying to see my GP is nigh on impossible.

My local GP surgery has various GP's who need more experience and stop relying on what their computer tells them, rather than doing some research for them selves (I won't go in to that now). I do have one GP who has monitored me through the years of surgery etc. so is up to speed on my background. But to try and get a face to face is pure luck as the surgery will not make appointments the day/week before. You have to ring on the morning and chance it with hundreds of other callers, then by the time you do get through, there are no appointments left! So... I'm left asking for comments from others experienced in similar issues.

Hi,

I'm on the patient participation group at my GP surgery.The computer notes are no good, I know - there's even an error and omission on my computer notes which I found out quite accidentally when I got a print out of the screen…I will be getting it corrected. If I were in your position, I would write a letter of complaint to the 'head' GP, cc'd to the GP who has monitored you previously and cc'd to the practice manager telling them that you have a serious health issue regarding your heart and it's important that you have Continuity of Care. Tell them you have found it impossible to be sure of seeing the one GP (mention his name) who has been monitoring you through your years of heart surgery and you would like to know how you can be sure of seeing him. You may have more luck with this approach than via the receptionists who book appointments.

The only way it seems to be sure to see the consultant cardiologist would be to make a private patient appointment, normally around £200, telling his private secretary that you have notes etc a x hospital so that he can bring them. It shouldn't be like this but sometimes.......

all the best...and I hope you get some other responses to your question.

I was put on Ramipril after surgery to help with blood pressure. A cough developed very shortly after. Anyone who has had OHS knows coughing is no fun. Heart surgeon said indicative of beta blocker intolerance/allergy (?) so he discontinued it and advised not to take any BB in the future. He put me on metapropol which I have since weaned myself off over a period of two weeks, as BP was normal to low. (never had normal BP before in my LIFE).

Medication affects people differently. Hope all works out for you! :)

I was put on Ramipril "Altace" and have taken 10mg per day for 6 years almost. Initially the 2.5mg made my hands numb when I fell asleep. Over time I had some cough. Overall, the medicine has been good to me as my echocardiograms have held steady. I do feel tired more easily but it is difficult for me to say what causes it. It is the one med the MD at Cleveland Clinic told me to never get off without discussing with him, so I am sticking to it. Best of luck

Latest posts

Back