radioactive iodine and animal valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hhardt

My thyroid has been acting actively for at least since my avr. It goes huperactive if we stop the drugs and stays relatively calm when under control with small amounts. The docs recommend the radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment to put the thyroid out of commission. However, this most often will cause hypoactivity and also require drugs for life. Apparently these drugs are "safer" and with more predictable results (less variation). My problem is that while the drugs are only supposed to act on the thyroid, I can find no experience or comments concerning us with pig or cow valves. Are there any known effects of RAI on artificial heart valves, pig or cows? My thyroid doc recommends RAI but is treating me with methimazole (10 mg twice a day) pending resolution of these kinds of issues.

I am requesting anyone with any knowledge concerning RAI and animal valves to comment. This question must have come up before and surely some person still living can comment.

Thanks.

I still have had no coment from medical personnel on smallpox vaccinations. My pacemaker nurse Friday said "it is a transplant isn't it?". But it doesn't require anti-rejection drugs. Hmmmmm? I'll ask the cardiologist Thursday.

Re: Radioactive Iodine

Re: Radioactive Iodine

Hugo, As far as I know and I work in this area, there is no way radioactive iodine can effect your bioprosthetic heart valve.

An answer

An answer

Today I consulted with my cardiologist. I also got a reading from Dr Rich at the about.com site. Both doctors know of no problems with either RAI or with smallpox vaccines in patients with these valves. Unlike transplant patients, valve recipients are not on immunosuppressive therapy. My cardiologist also said that the hyperthyroid activity was probably contributing to some of my high blood pressure problems and solving the hyperactivity could allow me to significantly reduce my medications. His recommendation is to do the RAI and go from there.

So, I now have passed my pacemaker review (good for another 6 months and at least 5 yrs on the battery) and my bovine aortic valve review (also good for another 12 months with no battery involved). He says to go for a full life as best we can. Do exercise and all that stuff. With a little warm weather, back to the golf course.

But I never had a reply from someone that could say been there, done that. Hopefully they exist and are out there living to the fullest.

Wanted everyone to know I have now had a very informative response from Crystal Cunanan at Edwards Lifesciences. We discussed the potential impacts of radiation from RAI used to treat my hyperactive thyroid. She has been involved in the evolution of my bovine aortic valve and was very helpful in my understanding of the probability of impacts on the useful lifetime of my valve. I am convinced that this is the least of the problems I face at my age with my set of conditions.

FYI stuff. I have also asked Medtronics what is the long term radiation (total dose) effects on my pacemaker electronics. I have had an initial response which tends to confirm this is probably not much of an issue either. It is my understanding that Medtronics will get back to me with a more detailed response.

I am impressed by the responses from both vendors. We are lucky to have such professional people working to help us.

Latest posts

Back