Race Report Sprint Tri

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Had a great time yesterday doing a sprint triathlon.

750 meter swim
12 mile bike
3.1 mile (5k) run

My goal was to get the performance time under 90 minutes (not caring about transition time). The goal was not particularly aggressive, but the 90 minute mark is a psychological hurdle for me to consider bumping up the distance.

Actual performance time was 89:05, almost a minute better than goal and 4 minutes better than last year. I felt strong, confident and happy the entire race. It was truly enjoyable.

I swam smarter. This time I stayed to the inside and challenged the flailing arms and legs. It worked. I swam less distance and got some drafting to help. 18 minutes. A full 1 minute faster than last year. Goal was met.

My bike time was almost exactly that same as last year. I keep talking about getting a road bike as my mountain hybrid is about maxed out. Same bike, same time. 17.4 mph 41:26 time. Actually 22 seconds slower than last year. Goal was not met. Note to self......get a road bike! This time I mean it!

It's also the third time in a row that I had a mishap with my speedometer and had to use mile markers and math in my head to figure my pace.

For the first time in a triathlon, my run went very well. Typically I've run out of gas and the runs have been tough. This time, the first half (uphill) was at about 10 minute goal pace. I saw my split time at the turn and gushed with joy because I knew that I had enough gas in the tank to maintain that pace to the end....or faster. After 60 hours of training over 2 months, I was actually going to make the goal and finish strong! That adrenaline rush was wonderful. I gradually picked up the pace downhill to the end. Finished with a "sprint" and a huge smile at the finish line. Run pace was 29:33. 1.5 minutes faster than goal and over 4 minutes faster than last year. Goal was exceeded and carried the overall race goal with it!

Three weeks ago I had run a 5k by itself at 9:24 pace, so to come anywhere close to that after the swim and bike has me on cloud nine. And my training included less running this time.

The other thing I noticed was that no one with a mountain bike passed me and my mountain bike.

Kept heart rate at about 150 bpm (80% Karvonen method) for the bike and run. Kicked it up toward the end. Peaked at 166 bpm (93%). 3-minute recovery heart rate was 120 bpm. Last year's recovery drop was 36 bpm. This year's drop was 46 bpm. Within an hour, the heart rate was around 80 bpm.

I feel terrific today. A little stiffness (very little) and no aches or pains.

Next tri in 3 weeks.

Considering bumping to the next distance in the spring. Did I mention getting a road bike? :D

Peace...............

Well done, Tom! A PR and a well-executed race - sounds like you were well-prepared . I know EXACTLY how it feels when everything clicks or doesn't(!) on the run; it requires some fine tuning, and you seem to have managed it very well.

Congrats!

Congrats

Congrats

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? Excellent job...did you think about getting a road bike? :D

Great race report, Tom, and most importantly, it sounds like you really enjoyed it!

Get the road bike!!

I just rode one for the first time in 20 years on a road ride of 25 miles that I have done on a mountain bike for the previous 4 years. What a difference :D. I , too, am planning on getting one now.

Good job on the Tri.

Tom,
Great race and time. Not sure how you can achieve that time on a mountain bike but congratulations for doing it. Better get a road bike. :D
Nice to compare splits from the prior year and know where the work has to be done. Good luck in the next one and waiting to hear your report.

Not bad at all. I'd be happy with 90 minutes for any two out of three. But I think what you really need is a new road bike.

I should point out that the bike has hybrid tires- smooth in the middle. Still the gearing maxes me out at about 20 MPH at about 110 cadence. Sure I could still go faster up hills, but that isn't "where the money's at".

Time to go shopping!:D

Envious

Envious

Hello -

Congratulations on what sounds like a great time.

I had hoped to do a biathlon this fall after MV replacement late May but my running is still pretty slow - still at about an 11:30 pace on a treadmill. Biking speed is OK.

But Spring is calling and I plan / hope to go to the first Cape Cod sprint race in June.

John

Latest posts

Back