Race Report Sprint Tri

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
750 meter swim, 12 mile bicycle, 5k (3.1 mile) run.

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day in the Dallas area. Air temp at the start was about 70F. If you know my history, you know that I prefer it a little cooler air temps, but it was okay Water temp was about 76 (they topped off the pond with fresh water). Wet suits were allowed, but I don't have one and didn't need it. .

This event was on the regional competivie circuit, so it drew over a dozen elite studs and studdettes. The winner finished the swim in less than 10 minutes, the bike in less than 30 minutes, and the run in less than 20 minutes. Yes, the entire course in under an hour. :eek: I'm not worthy!:rolleyes:

Then again, we are all winners. It was a repeat event for me. I was looking for (and found) some improvment over last year. :) A friend of my son's also participated. His wave started before mine. I caught up to him about half way into the run. :p We had a pleasant chat before he left me in his dust.:eek:

The transition was very crowded and a bit convoluted. I stubbed my toe on a curb and went down on my right knee after the swim. For a Coumadin user, I faired very well. Some bleeding and swelling, but not bad. Not a problem, even the day after. My INR this morning was 2.7.

Swim:
My 19 minute time was a bit disappointing, but still a little better than last year. Average heart rate 137. I need to do more open water swimming and learn to swim in a straight line.

Bike:
Once again, I rode without my speedometer. What a kluts! When I turned it on, instead of zeroing it out, I hit the calibrate button and knocked it all off kilter. :confused: For my race strategy, the speed is really feedback anyway, because my strategy is to set a max heart rate and pedal like crazy until I reach the HR. The course was two 6-mile loops, si at thhe half-way point I knew my speed. Target HR was 151. Averaged 148. Peak 156. Result time about 41 minutes at average 17.5 MPH. It was my fastest bike performance, about 10% improvement since last year. The course was different, and perhaps slightly less hilly, but I'm real happy with 17.5 MPH on a mountain bike (smooth tires).:)

Run:
Started with a 100' hill, then mostly level for the rest of the race. I slowed down for water, but did not stop. I used the Bill Cobit trick of sticking some ice cubes in my cap. One cup of water for the belly. One cup to pour down my shirt. Save the ice for the cap. Finishing air temp was about 80F, but mostly shady. Overall run pace 10:36, about 5% improvement from last year. Target HR 156. Average 150. Peak 161.

I'm satisfied with the results, and still see lots of room for more improvment. I guess I'll have to come back for more. :)

3 minute recovery HR 125. 6 minutes 120. That's the heat talking. Resting heart rate pre-race 48, this morning 47. :)

Congrats Tommy!! Sounds like everything went well. I am impressed! Keep up the good work. I am so excited to get my energy back after listening to all you guys.:)

Belated Congrats

Belated Congrats

Tommy: Somehow, I missed this the first time around. Congrats on the race; what's up next? Mark

Race Report 5k

Race Report 5k

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be "running" on all cylinders. Bill - some day - I would like to be on a VR relay time someday as well. One of my goals is to get and stay half-Mary ready on a months notice. It may take me a while to get there again. Mark -what's next you ask?

A 5k this morning!

Have been working some longer hours and unintentionally had 3 days rest going into this 5k. Normally I like to taper a bit, but do something every day. Well, there must be something to this rest as a strategy, because I'm pleased with the results.

Weather was near perfect 60F with very little breeze. Met up with some friends from church and swapped stories. It's the 2nd annual of this event and I saw some other repeaters. One is warming up for the Marine Corp Marathon and White Rock Marathon yet this year. Two college students from out of state - same school as my son. Lots a families with a 1 mile fun run/walk event as well.

I hoped to go at least as fast as last year. But the real race strategy was to use the heart rate monitor for pacing. 85% for the first 2 miles and let the last mile be what it can be.

Mile 1 154 BPM 84% 9:06
Mile 2 158 BPM 87% 9:20
Mile 3.1 160 BPM 89% 9:55

Overall 28:2
Overall 9:09 pace
Peak HR 173 99%
3 minute recovery HR 105
Pacing strategy worked.
Time was 1:20 faster than last year.
Reached 99% HR for the first time that I recall. I know it's theoretical, but I've never been able to get it that high.

Recovery heart rate is perhaps the most rewarding piece of data.
While finishing 4th out of 5 in my age group isn't spectacular, finishing 43 out of 94 is okay in my book.
My legs feel fine.

Great Job Tommy

Great Job Tommy

Thanks for posting your heart monitor readings along with your split times. I am happy for you. I run a 5k next weekend and will update my training blog here. I also hope to get a post up soon about the 2007 marathon relay; I am waiting to hear the race date for one of the races we should consider. Best regards, Mark

Tommy: I love your race reports. You have come so far along it amazes and inspires me. Besides, you're my favorite because it was your web page referance that brought me to VR.com
Laura

msiwik said:
Thanks for posting your heart monitor readings along with your split times. I am happy for you. I run a 5k next weekend and will update my training blog here. I also hope to get a post up soon about the 2007 marathon relay; I am waiting to hear the race date for one of the races we should consider. Best regards, Mark

I'm anxious to see the schedule and date. Not sure I'd be race ready but will see happens.

Latest posts

Back