Questions Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlhudson

I am meeting with a Cardiovascular Surgeon this week regarding mirtral valve repair. I am scared and want help in formulating questions that I need to ask. Any guidelines?

Ask about donating your own blood before surgery. I did this and the surgeon estimated that he might need 2 pints or maybe even none. I was also very scared about being on the vent....so I asked to be sedated so I wouldn't remember that experience!

Good luck! ALso write down your questions.

Other questions:
- How many of this type of procedure has he performed?
- What will be the 2nd option if the valve turns out to be unrepairable?

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi,
My name is Jean. I had my mitral valve repaired on May 30th this year, and I totally understand your fears. I'm sure it's scary for everyone.

My cardiac surgeon put me at ease right away when I met with him for the first time. He said that he was 99% sure that he could repair my valve, "because I usually can" and that if it wasn't repairable, he was going to use a mechanical valve because of my age, (44), and the fact that bio valves sometimes need to be replaced after a few years. He seemed very confident of his ability to fix it which made me comfortable that he really knew his stuff.

He had a model of a heart sitting on the table and explained to us, (me, my husband and my 5yr old daughter) where the mitral valve was, and what he was going to do. My daughter had some great questions for him, and he was very patient with her, which made me think he was a really nice guy.

As far as donating your own blood, it might depend on just how soon your surgery is, I know mine didn't want me to, cuz he wanted me as strong as possible going into surgery. As it turned out, I didn't need any blood anyway, but I certainly could have.

You might want to ask him if you'll need to be on Coumadin for a while after surgery. My surgeon had told me about the need to be on it for life if they ended up doing a replacement, but I don't remember him mentioning anything about having to be on it for 8 weeks following repair surgery until after the surgery. It was really no big deal, I just thought he should have let me know beforehand.

Good Luck, keep us posted, okay?

Before I went to talk with the surgeon, I read as many posts on this forum as I could. I read in pre and post surgery. As I read I would write down questions. When I went to my appointment with the surgeon I had my list of questions to ask. He thought I was very well informed and I left with a sense of confidence in what I was facing. Looking back, I can't think of a question I wish I had asked but didn't.
Some questions I asked:
What are the chances of a successful repair?
I was able to have a repair with the aid of a ring.
What options are there if it is not repairable?
We discussed options for replacement.
How long is normal for the surgery?
How long on the bypass machine?
What happens after surgery, CCU for how long, when will you be
moved to a regular room, how long in the hospital?
How will they manage your pain?
What should you expect when you go home, how much home care will you need?
Again, read as much as you can and it will help you be prepared.
Ask your questions here also, there is a great bunch of people who have gone through it all and are willing to share.
I found the more information I had the less fear I had.

Welcome Ter,

It looks like you've gotten some pretty good feedback here thus far and I have absolutley nothing to add.

I would however, like to welcome you to the vr.com "family" and hope that you will continue to post information and encouragement for others' sake as you learn more about your impending surgery. Valve "repair" people are few here, so please plug us in whenever you feel ready.

I also read your profile stating that you are a golfer from Ft. Wayne, IN. You aren't that far from Chicago which will be home to the 2003 Reunion. We are planning a golf outing (the vr.com Open) and need golfers. We welcome your presence here and on the golf course!

Cheers!

I wish I had known about this group before my surgery. I did some research on the web but there's so much good advice here that I missed. My pre-op questions focused on the issue of repair and the valve options if repair was not possible. I'm in my 50's but active in cycling and soccer refereeing and was advised by my cardiologist that I would have to limit these activities if I was on cumadin.

I wanted to be certain my surgeon was committed to doing a repair if that was at all possible so this was a focus of my questions. As a result of the discussion, I felt very comfortable with my choice. We also spoke about replacement options at some length. After a transesophageal echo cardiogram, he gave me a very detailed description of the planned repair.

Many good questions have been presented by others. If you have particular concerns about your surgery be sure to get as much information about those issues from others and from your surgeon as possible.

Wishing you the best results.

-- roy --

HI Ter-

Welcome to this great site. Everyone here understands your apprehension at this moment in your life.

Please always remember that the surgeons who do this surgery are experts in their field, they are in and out of the inside of people's hearts every day. They are extremely careful and will prepare meticulously prior to your surgery. In addition to that, they pull together the very best surgical team available to them. They know how delicate this surgery is and that they are operating on the body's engine, so to speak.

Whatever conditions you have inside your heart is no doubt something that they have seen before and have successfully taken care of.

Read as many posts as you can, and ask us lots of questions. We're a mouthy crew and love to yak it up with each other and newbies.:p

Bring someone with you into the meeting with the surgeon because you will probably forget everything that's said. Make a list of your questions. Find out if the hospital provides a "heart pillow", ask about relaxation tapes.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Mitral Valve Surgery

Mitral Valve Surgery

We are about 50 miles East of Ft. Wayne, Indiana. As you will read in the posts, we have had a little experience with Mitral Valve Surgery. Glad to help any way that we can.

Please send private message if you have further questions.

John & Joann
Clicking for 31 years, 10 months

Hi Ter,
I used to travel out to Ft Wayne quite often, back when it was Magnavox. I think it is Raytheon now. Anyway, I had my mitral valve repaired and aortic valve replaced with homograft. The primary reason was to stay away from the blood thinners. I take only a daily aspirin now. Here are a few questions I would have asked if I was smarter back then:
1 - How long will the repair last, statistically speaking?
2 - How long will you be in the ICU?
3 - What is the probability of afib based on your condition (requires blood thinners)?
4 - How large will the scar be?
5 - How long on the heart/lung machine? If there are difficulties with the repair, then how long on the heart/lung machine? If the surgeon switches to mechanical or other, then how long on the heart/lung machine?
This is all I could think of. Welocme to the site, ask questions and good luck with surgery.

Latest posts

Back