Questions about whospitalized wife

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DesertRat

In september, my wife (44) was diagnosed mith mitral prolapse. She was having symptoms including fatigue, shortness of breath, rapid resting heart rate (80s) and swollen feet/legs. The technician at the time made the comment she thought she could hear a "click" in the aorta but could not get anything on the screen.

We scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist. In the mean time, her condition worsened. Her resting pulse got up to consistant 90s, the highest being 123. These are all at rest. She began passing out and falling occasionaly.

Last Wednesday the cardiologist did all his own test and we were scheduled to go back in January. The tech this time asked what all we were there for and my wife explained the last test and tech. comments. Her response was, "She couldn't get a picture of this."

My wife was scheduled to go into the hospital this past Monday for a rectal prolapse surgery. On Sunday, she began having chest pains, sweating, violent vomitting, and her pulse shot up to 140. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance. There they put her on Nitro patch and an potassium IV both of which she is still on.

Yesterday (the 11) the cardio came in and comfirmed both valves were regurgitating but that her stress test and other tests looked "pretty good." they got her stablized except for some cramping in her hips and her resting pulse is consistantly 89 ish now. He cleared her for surgery which will take place Saturday then we will deal with the heart after the first of the year.

My questions: Obviously, to me as her husband, these symptoms appear pretty severe and rapidly changing. How does her progression, heart rates, etc. compare to others who have had to have the AVR?

Does having the same symptoms mean she has CHF or can the two different processes have same symptoms? What is the difference between the two? I didn't really understand him and can't see a difference in the things I'm reading for sure. I get the impression it has to do with what part of the heart is damaged?????????

Is he right in that this is a "mild" condition or is he just trying to keep her calm before the other surgery and we will have another one to look forward to in the very near future?

I'm not holding any body to their answers here or looking for medical advise. Just some input I can digest and make since of this fiasco.

Hi Desert-

Welcome to this terrific site. You'll love the support you get here.

Let me say that I am sorry you and your wife are going through all of these things, but step back and take a deep breath.

First of all, has your wife had any of the normal tests like echocardiogram, heart cath, TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram). Has she had a chest xray or any bloodwork to check for CHF. Has she been put on a Holter monitor, or event monitor for her rapid heartbeats? Have they said anything about arrhythmia, and if so, what did they say about it.

There are many degrees of regurgitation, some are mild, and some are not. So you need to find out what the cardiologist feels her regurgitation is. What heart valves are involved, there are 4 valves, aortic, mitral, tricuspid and pulmonary.

Do you know what might be the cause of your wife's heart problems, i.e., did she have rheumatic fever, a congenital heart defect, Marfan's syndrome, or damage from fen-phen, or something else?

I guess what I am saying in a long-winded way, is that you need to get as much information as you can about your wife's exact condition, so you both are able to understand it. Understanding the condition is the first and most important thing you can do. From there, you can start to do research, Use this site to look up all kinds of things. It's interesting.

It's a very good thing that your wife is in the care of a cardiologist. I hope she will be carefully monitored. I would imagine that they want to get her intestinal problems squared away before tackling her heart.

If her conditions aren't too bad, the cardiologist will probably give her several meds which will help with the situation, temporarily.

So call the cardiologist and seek some answers, and use the search function of this site to look up all kinds of things.

My husband is the patient, and he's had many, many surgeries.
I understand how worrisome these things can be.

I wish you both well.

If your wife does not feel well at any point, do not hesitate to take her in to the ER.

Last edited:
Nah-

I just want to get back to painting and drawing and doing other things I love.

If Joe would stop dragging me to the hospital, I could fill my mind with fun stuff.

Hi Desert,
Welcome to this site! Even if we (Dr. Nancy) can't answer all your questions, at least we're helpful at coming up with the questions you should be asking the Docs. Make a list (or print off this thread) of things to ask.

Please keep us posted on your wife's progress. I hope you get the answers soon!

Judy

Actually I got all the answers tonight from the wife of a friend who is a hospital administrator that used to practice. I got the impression the Cardio. was just trying to take it easy on us until she gets through this surgery.

Things make a lot more sense now. It wasn't necessarily the answers I wanted, but they were answers I needed.

Yes we have had a zillion test but have never been able to get an appointment to get back into the cardiologist for results prior to her going down Sunday. We had to cancel one and he cancelled the other.

There is the possibilty of an underlying auto-immune disorder. Beginning 20 years ago they tested her for lupus but it has always been negative. It has been an on-going cyclic saga ever since. This heart stuff came on rather quickly though. She has a positive ANA and anti-cardio lipins as well as vasculitus in one eye. About three weeks ago she began losing mobility in her legs. Tonight Dr. said he did not believe that had anything to do with her heart and was probably neurological. I think it's just going to be a long row to hoe.

I appreciate the folks taking the time to respond. I will probably lurk in her a bit and as it gets time to take action on the heart we will probably be in here with more questions.

Yeah buddy, you got a long roe to hoe. Put your back to the wind and take one step at a time. I wish you all the strength you need

I agree with Ram... take it one day at a time.

I also have many problems in addition to my heart probs (mitral valve repair Oct. 2000); you just take it one disease at a time... one step at a time.

Good luck.

Take care,
Zazzy

Latest posts

Back