Questions about otaining a machine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdegranville

Michele,
I would like to find out what the process for obtaining a home testing kit is. I have United Health Care insurance. Do you have an idea how long it takes when dealing with them ?

I have been on Coumadin for a couple of months now and have not been able to stay within the theraputic range. I have also been on the road and I have not been able to get tested because the hospitals will not accept a prescription for a PT-INR test from an out-of-state physician and when I present the request to them they act as if I'm asking for a heroin fix!!!. This has been frustrating to say the least. In September and October I will be traveling internationally and I'm sure that will be even more challenging.
Thank you for your help.
Francesca de Granville

Call the 800 number on one of these threads - they'll get everything started for you. They are remarkably tenacious people. I'm kind of in the middle of the process. Decided that if my insurance won't pay I'll buy it myself (after the new year when I'll be able to budget it into my medical savings account).

I'll be able to budget
Please teach me how this is done. :(

QAS ProTime---800-298-4515

QAS Hemosense INRatio Dept--800-563-5680

QAS Lifescan Department--800-915-4515

Ross

Ross

You are too funny. I can't believe you even remember that!
I would neeeeeeeever hit you!

Fred

Obtaining a ProTime Machine

Obtaining a ProTime Machine

Hi,

We would be happy to work on getting an approval for you for the ProTime. Just call me at 1-800-298-4515, x 2616.

We also have contracts with some of the United Health Plan insurances. If it is with one of our contracted Uniteds most of the time after we get all the paperwork from your doctor we can do it via a verbal approval. It really depends on your insurance as far as the process - it can go though as quickly as 2 weeks or it could be a few months.

All I need to do is collect some information from you. We will work on getting the paperwork from your doctor as well as trying to get an approval from your insurance company. We find out what type of benefit coverage you have and then will send you a letter and call you to go over that with you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

United Health

United Health

Approved my Protime in a few weeks after getting scrip from Cardio.. bonnie:)

Hi Francesca (or is it Fred)?

I travel often and prior to me obtaining my own Protime testing unit, I would have to go to a hospital to be checked from time to time.

If I was out-of-state, I had no problem with getting them to test me. First of all, you go the the ER, tell them you have a mechanical heart valve, and that you need a INR check because you fear it may be out of range. Provide them with your physician's name and phone number, or call him yourself. He will send them a fax authorizing the test. After it is performed, the hospital is obligated to contact your physican with the results. You can then call your doctor, or he will call you, and advise you if there are any changes that need to be made to your dose.

I have never been turned away when I went to an out-of-state hospital.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks for that bit of info Rob. Sometimes when we do what we think is the standard procedure, it leads us no where. I never once thought about doing it the way you just described. It makes sense. Seems to be a work around of the normal channels.

Card's Card

Card's Card

First thing I did when I came home from the hospital was to put My Cardiologist calling card in my wallet. Has most of info on it..Phone #. Fax # and email Never leave home without it.:) :) bonnie

A word of warning on Rob's way. My insurance has a $250 deductible for a trip to the emergency room. It could be a little expensive to do it that way. If you have a standing order with a major lab, you can probably find one in another state and they can call to verify the order.

Ditto Lisa from Katy

Ditto Lisa from Katy

I do believe that I'd need to be bleeding from the eyes before I'd do Rob's - although it's such a good idea. I also have a substantial deductible.

But you know, I wouldn't have a problem paying the full cost at a lab; does anyone have the slightest idea WHY there's such an issue about testing? And not recognizing out-of-state prescriptions? It's not as though we're trying to obtain oxycodin or speed. We're trying to have a sometimes painful little blood test. We have cash in hand. We're concerned enough about our physical condition and knowledgeable enough to want to be sure we're OK. And these boobs make us jump thru hoops???? We should be poster children for being responsible and taking charge of our health; instead they act like we're trying to steal drugs.

Criminy - everyone is invited in to have their cholesterol checked at every mall and pharmacy and senior center in the country; and we can't get a protime check without being harassed.

Ticks me off, folks.

I have never had a problem getting my blood tests when I am out of state. I always just went to the hospital to the lab and they may double check with my doctor, I really don't know. I do give them all that information though and explanations. I just assumed that was the way it was done. Now I can see that maybe I was mistaken and may not always have such an easy time of it. Now I will be aware though. No easy solution here doesn't sound like.
Missy

I'm with Georgia - Add to that: A long drive to town, grouchy nurses, and a waiting room full of germs, and you can see why I think home testing is the berries.

how to get the doc's approval

how to get the doc's approval

Amen, Georgia. I just recently went to a regular lab, and the lady treated me like dirt. Didn't know the ranges for valves but assured me that these numbers COULD NOT BE GIVEN TO THE PATIENT -- like we are totally ignorant.
By the way, how do we get reluctant docs to o.k. home machines. My cardio thought I was ridiculous for asking and said "No way!"

Hello, Missy. Ironically, after I posted this morning, I went with my son to his sports physical with our wonderful general practitioner. I posed the question to him, and he is very open to writing me a script for the machine. Made my day, to say the least. Sounds like the answer to my question involves asking your other docs.

Latest posts

Back