Question reg. Low Iron & energy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shirley Dickey

HI all I know I don't post as much as I should but I read daily !!!
My question is It has been 8 months since I had double bypass & MVreplacement and every since I have been very low on iron. The dr. has prescribed supplements to take daily (4 months now). I just had blood work on Friday to check it and it is still very low the gp cant explain it or find a reason for it. Was not an anemic before surgery but have been one every since..Does anyone have any idea why or has anyone else had this prob if so how did you fix it.. My calculated % iron sat is @ 8 and normal is between 20-50 %. Could this also explain why I have been so fatigued lately and why isn't the iron supp working...I have appt with cardio tomorrow am I will be asking him & and appt next mon with gp to go over the results as well...
Thought and opinions are greatly appericated..
Thanks & have a blessed day :)

Well, mechanical valves can cause destruction of red blood cells. hemolytic anemia, I think it's called. though the On-x is supposed to be much better than the older style St. Judes.
You are right to talk to your cardio. I dunno how it gets fixed.

I too have had a low level on my red blood cells since surgery in Oct 2011. I had a second minor surgery in Jan 2012 and doc said he thinks I am low due to having 2 surgeries. I am on an iron pill and due for another blood test mid March to see if any improvement. I was also told the best source for iron was red meat, so I have been trying to eat it 3 times a week.

I have been tired and a little slow.

So, I am also interested in this and will report back after next test to see if any improvement

I also was low after surgery. I was told to take iron supplements with orange juice, maybe you need to do this so your body absorbs it better. Also women seem to get this more than men was told from doctor but that you will have to ask your doctor. My iron is still a little low and yes I also seem to get tired easily. Ask your doctor about taking iron pills with orange juice. I know it takes a while to get your numbers back up so be patient.

Seen cardio today... he said the iron will eventually increase as time goes on , He said that it just taking a lil longer and that is normal in some people..He said the prostetic valves maybe breaking my cells down to some degree but that with supplements that I been taking that it is slowly rising :).
He said for an 11 hour surgery and 2 blood transfusions that I am healing well, just slow :)
Thanks for the response everyone....

If your low iron and anemia does not resolve, there are specific tests that can establish whether it is hemolytic anemia, if they haven't been done already. The reticulocyte (immature red blood cell) count would be elevated and haptoglobin level reduced, and serum bilirubin elevated if hemolysis is the reason.

Latest posts

Back