Question on process

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,

Thanks for the note. I noticed that your address is central NJ. I grew up in Passaic NJ, specifically in the town called Ringwood. While I am a retired LTC, US Army and lived all over the world, Vietnam in 69-70, I spent six years as an Associate Professor of Computer Science at West Point. I was then CIO at Fordham University before moving to Lincoln in 1995. It is quite a bit different than NY, but it is a nice change.

I am in my final week of denial before calling for a date to get this aortic valve thing done. I still can?t believe this is all real as I exhibit no symptoms and feel great. Go figure.

I think I am committed to getting this done here in Lincoln at the Nebraska Heart Institute, associated with Bryan Hospital. They claim to be in the top 100 of all hospitals that do this. In addition everyone tells me the surgeon, Dr. Kent Jex, is really good. In fact one of the founders of the institute, Dr. Charles Wilson, recommended him to me.

So I plan on calling to get a diet and what every else they suggest. My plan is to go for the St. Jude mechanical as everyone tells me that is the way to go, if you are under 60. The coumadin thing has me worried but everything I read says that once it is under control all is OK. I told my wife to get me an electric razor.

I have BC/BS and I am also covered by the Army?s Tricare so all should be covered. When they did my pacemaker all was covered.

I am curious as to why you elected the bovine pericardial tissue valve. What convinced you to do that? Are you worried about another surgery?

Also what about minimum invasive surgery? Is that an option for this?

Again thanks for the note and look forward to hearing back.

Walter

Back