Question for Ya'll on the Other Side of the Mtn...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tobagotwo said:
I hope you feel that well three days after your surgery, but that you have better taste in shirts...

Au Contraire, Dear Tobago!

THAT is THE shirt I want to wear when I'm discharged!

Not just that type of shirt, not just that colour or a similar pattern, but THAT VERY SHIRT.

I respectfully insist that you let me borrow it and have Noni photograph me (and the shirt) in the same disco pose outside the "Exit" doors of Beth Israel.

In fact, I will refuse to leave the hospital without that shirt on my back.

What say ye? Will you let me borrow it if I promise to return it the very day after I walk through those doors and back into the real world?

Many Thanks, Everyone!

Many Thanks, Everyone!

I so appreciate all that you've shared!

Peg (great advice about waiting another week to visit my mon), Sylvia, Nan (I'm going to call the Helmsely today), Laugh, Susan (I'm already planning to take an old cane carved by my great uncle), Dennis (just put on my list of things-to-do to call Delta about the airport transport), Lyn, Maka, Tobago (who I excuse for the comment about hair washing, and whose shirt I shall wear proudly), Susan, Sue, etc., etc... Thanks so much!

Hi Stretch

Looks like you'll be coming up north for a bit.....IF you're up for a few good restaurants in the city, I would love to recommend Carmine's.....great italian pub-style eatery.....deeeeelicious, huge portions and reasonably priced. There are two in the city, but we usually go to the one near the theater district (it's near Sardi's...but don't waste your $$ going there) between Broadway and 8th Ave---200W 44th st.

If you want to spend big bucks, Ruth Chris's steakhouse is wonderful.....not just steaks, but quite expensive.

Of course there's the Stage Deli.....mmmm great pastrami, etc.....not heart healthy, of course...another mid-town near the theaters.

You're hitting the city at a wonderful time, but please be aware it will be VERY crowded, so be careful if you plan to walk around. New Yawkers are NOT known for their lack of pushiness.

Evelyn

StretchL
I don?t want to sound pessimistic but I think it?ll be better that you plan to take it easy while in NY this time and leave the sightseeing for your next trip. NY during the holidays can be ?brutal? and the crowds unbelievable.
I agree about Carmine?s being a great restaurant, but they don?t take reservations and the waiting time on a ?good? day can be over ½ hour....imagine during the holidays. Plus you better have a big appetite...
If I?m correct the hospital ( First Ave & 16 St.??) is in the Gramercy Park area and there are nice little restaurants in the 20's and 30's...there is one that I cant? right now remember the name on 36 st. facing the river with a spectacular view....I?m sure the someone in the hospital know which is the one I?m talking about, as it is very well known....a little on the expensive side though).
I?d like to suggest that maybe you want to take the ?double decker?, get yourself warm clothing and enjoy the ride. You can stay for the whole ride (about 1 1/2hr) without getting out and you?ll be able to enjoy the lights of the City if you take it in the evening. Cheaper than getting a taxi and easier to get (free taxies in Manhattan during the holidays can be rarer than a handsome, caring, single man):D :D
But if you want to be a little more adventurous, try South St Port, lots of restaurants, beautiful view and places to walk (inside and outside) and seat!!
Good luck to you

Stretch. If for some reason BobH cannot part with his silk shirt, I wonder if you should invest/dig out one of those silk tee-shirts (like long underwear stuff, but not honeycombed). I'm sure LLBean or REI has them (online would be an easy purchase). They are for layering and are very thin and made of silk. If you bought one a size larger and had help getting it over your head, it would not only give you that lovely softness next to your skin, it would also help keep you warm if you venture outdoors in NYC. Personally, I did not like any buttons or seams over my stitches and had the best luck in one of my husband's "wife-beaters". Nice, soft cotton.

I came home from surgery somewhat anemic and that made me feel cold all the time. It is the result of the machine leaching iron while you are hooked up to the heart/lung, I'm told. Layers would work well. Perhaps bring along a loose fleece vest.

2 weeks to go!! Wishing you the best! Marguerite

Stretch - maybe you started something. The guys going in for surgery should all get their pictures takes in that shirt and the girls will have to come up with something. Good Luck! Will be praying for you!

tobagotwo said:
Here's a picture taken that Friday outside my house, with an open-shirted disco pose, to show my mother that I had had the surgery and really was okay.

Stretch, can I highjack your thread a bit and say that we now know for sure that Ross' heart is heavy with family issues, because he didn't take the easiest opportunity available when Bob posted his picture, to solicit open-shirted photos of everyone's scars. I kept waiting, and it never came.:(

Now, back to the thread. Can I say that I, for one, am looking forward to your post-op photo in the shirt. :D This may work itself into a movie "The Brotherhood of the Traveling Shirt"

Silk vision......

Silk vision......

*Hi Stretch.....thought I would like to 'encourage' Bob to send you ''THE SHIRT''
1.to ensure your safe exit from the hospital and 2. so that we can look forward to seeing the ''disco pose'' in front of the hospital. Go on Bob, surely you can drag yourself away from that ''silk vision'' for a few days....deep breaths !!

Walking in the cold

Walking in the cold

Hi Stretch,
Let me just add a couple of other thoughts that may not have been covered in the above good advice.

I just posted over the weekend on my "easy" recovery from the RP, although others seemed to have it easier (three miles on the first day -- sheesh!). On my first day home from the hospital on Jan 14 this year(four days after surgery), I did a quarter mile around 2PM, when it was thankfully dry and a sunny 75 degrees. It went so well that I attempted my next quarter mile later that evening when the temperature had dropped to about 50. I nearly passed out (seriously) and had to be helped back into the house! My BP had skyrocketed to help compensate for the combination of exercise and drop in temperature. Needless to say I didn't try any more walks in the cold for a couple of weeks.

Also, my appetite was non-existent for about three weeks -- and I'm generally a real pig, so that was pretty strange. High-priced restaurants in NYC are probably NOT fiscally responsible choices!

Of course that was just my experience.... and judging from the variety of posts, the first days/weeks after OHS are difficult to predict!

Best of luck to you!

Bartt

Thanks Bart and Eire.

Thanks Bart and Eire.

E: Be careful what you wish for, for one day you may surely get it! ;)

Bart: Thanks for the thoughts... recovery does seem to be very different from person to person... I'll keep your experience in mind as a reminder to take things slowly... that's usually difficult for me...

Back