Question for those who traveled for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river-wear

Hi everybody,

I thought I was all set for my AVR until I got the great news that repair is possible for me. It's great, but it also adds to my stress because there are more unknowns. So now it appears that I'll be heading across the country to Philadelphia for my best chance at a repair; a surgeon there has a lot of experience doing them. The procedure doesn't seem to be very common yet. I'm not talking about a valve-sparing aortic root repair, but actual repair of a regurgitant bicuspid valve. I don't have an aneurysm.

My main question is how long people planned to stay in town after their surgery? It seems like I've heard a week after discharge from the hospital from some people here. I figured two weeks total? Am I being ridiculously optimistic? Of course, if there are complications we'll have to make adjustments, but I think I'll be much more comfortable once I'm back in my own home. And my husband will have to be trying to work out of a hotel all that time as well.

The surgeon I saw here said he thought I'd be a textbook case, and be out of the hospital in 3-4 days. I'm relatively young (46) and in good physical condition.

Always have plan A, B and C. I planned on getting a repair from one of the top surgeon in Atlanta. During my surgery after sewing part of my valve up another part just didn’t work getting stiches and then my surgeon turn to plan B a tissue valve. I was only going to be in the hospital for four nights but had some complication and spent seven nights in the hospital.

Oh yeah, I definitely have a Plan B if the repair doesn't work. I know they can't be sure of a good outcome until they get in there.

I also realize that of course there can be complications, but if two weeks away is reasonable, then I can take the chance that we'll have to change plans once we're out there. In that case, I won't have the energy to care about where I am...

Hi,

I traveled to have my 2nd surgery at CCF. After some time in the hospital, they released me on a Friday morning, asked that I stay in town for the weekend, and to check in with them on Monday. When I did, they then gave me the OK to fly home.
So, we did fly home, but within 24 hrs of being home, I was back in the hospital due to additional fluid retention.

Rob

I have moderately complex congenital heart defect called tetralogy of fallot. I travelled across country for my last pulmonary valve replacement. It was my fourth OHS. I flew up on sunday to start all the pre-op testing. I wanted the tests spread out so that I was not already tired before surgery. My surgery was on thursday and I was discharged the next tuesday. I decided that if I was not comfortable with my local docs doing the surgery then I was comfortable with them handling the immediate complications. I flew home two weeks after discharge. My sister flew in to be with me. I live alone and my none of my family lives close. Going home earlier would not have been a good idea anyway.

Debbie

Hi Michelle,
That is really great news that your valve might be repaired.
Would you mind sharing who your surgeon in Philadelphia is ?

Thanks

Tommyboy

Hi everybody,

I thought I was all set for my AVR until I got the great news that repair is possible for me. It's great, but it also adds to my stress because there are more unknowns. So now it appears that I'll be heading across the country to Philadelphia for my best chance at a repair; a surgeon there has a lot of experience doing them. The procedure doesn't seem to be very common yet. I'm not talking about a valve-sparing aortic root repair, but actual repair of a regurgitant bicuspid valve. I don't have an aneurysm.

My main question is how long people planned to stay in town after their surgery? It seems like I've heard a week after discharge from the hospital from some people here. I figured two weeks total? Am I being ridiculously optimistic? Of course, if there are complications we'll have to make adjustments, but I think I'll be much more comfortable once I'm back in my own home. And my husband will have to be trying to work out of a hotel all that time as well.

The surgeon I saw here said he thought I'd be a textbook case, and be out of the hospital in 3-4 days. I'm relatively young (46) and in good physical condition.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tommyboy, the surgeon is Dr. Joseph Bavaria. Knotguilty, he's at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I haven't met him in person yet, but will be going out a few weeks before surgery to ask all of my questions and do the required pre-testing.

If I was going for a straight replacement, then I'd have no qualms at all staying with my local doctors and hospital.

I drove 6 hours for my surgery at Mayo-Rochester. I did not stay in town after discharge. They deal with out-of-towners all the time. I was discharged on day 5, although they wanted to discharge me on day 4 and I refused. We drove halfway and spent the night in a motel. This caused me a lot of stress, as I wasn't sure I could sleep on the motel bed. I did OK.

You're not being overly optimistic. In 2012, my surgery was on July 3rd, I was discharged from the hospital on July 9th and spent two more nights in the hotel before flying home. For my first surgery in 2004, the timing was about the same.

Back