Question for runners with afib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all... I was diagnosed with afib about 2.5 years ago, received my mechanical MV over 5 years ago. I stopped running 3 years ago b/c I hurt my back. In the meantime I have still remained active, walking, the elliptical and other means of cardio that aren't high impact and I also do yoga regularly. I just picked up running again about 5-6 weeks ago and I'm loving it. However, I've noticed my afib is acting up and usually I hardly notice it at all. Sometimes it even starts up while I'm running. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and should I keep on or pull back? Appreciate any advice.

Halley

Halley, sorry I cannot help as I have not (yet?) had the Afib issue, but, if you are getting Afib when not running, it may not be related to the running. I would check with your cardio and go over things, and mention that you really want to resume running, and see if you can work this out. Also, please stop over to cardiac athletes as there are many runners over there with Afib issues.

Halley, I had a-flutter twice after my surgery 7 months ago. I ran 5k almost every day right up until surgery. I think I was walking my 5k about 6 weeks later. Then running it a few weeks later. I am on metoprolol 25 mg. I split the pill and take it twice a day. My doctor told me to take 400mg of magnesium after my last a-flutter. That must have been about 4-5 months ago. Anyway I havent had any a-flutter since I started taking the magnesium. If you look at the Anti-coagulation thread they are talking about it. I really think it helps. Also You might want to get a sports watch that shows your heart rate. I try to keep mine under 160. Usually the metoprolol taken 30 min before my run keeps it ander 155.

Thanks Scott! I had forgotten that magnesium is supposed to help, I am going to try it. I take 25 mg of metoprolol twice a day too. Who is your cardiologist? I'm also in Atlanta, had mine done at Piedmont.

My cardiologist is Anna Kalynych at Piedmont. Thats cool, I didn't realize you were in Atlanta too.

I'm dealing with some flutter myself. I'm a runner and was actually cleared to do some running 2 weeks after surgery. (I had a right anterior mini thoracotomy and recovery has been a breeze). The flutter started a few days ago after the cardiologist let me cut my beta blocker dose in 1/2. I promptly went back to the original dose. I'm hoping it just goes away as everyone says it will.

Back