Question for Al

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Hi Al-

I've seen lots of people mentioning that they are lowering their INR, when it's too high, by eating green veggies. It seems like a very inexact method to go about it, especially since there is a lag time with Coumadin.

Just wondered if you could comment.

Hi Nancy,

If you don't mind me adding my 2 cents.....this works wonderfully for myself. What I do is.... reading over over 4.5 subtract 2mg for one day and have 2-3 small salads over the course of the week. Recheck, and I am usually, in check without a consistent dose decrease.

As we know those veggies are packed with the antagonist to the med Vit K. Holding my Coumadin does not work in my case. I have been up in the 6 range and have been told to hold 1-2 days. Rock bottom. Lowering the dose and eating greens puts me right on track.

V8 Juice

V8 Juice

Knew I was going to Dentist yesterday and drank 2 V8 juices over weekend. To come down from 3.8//HIT 2.3 before I went to Dentist. Wow..that Juice will lower it..Too much...Just salads next time:p :p Bonnie

The first time I heard this mentioned, I was new at warfarin management. One of the "veterans" in the class said that she told her patients to do this. Most of us laughed at her. But the more we thought about, the more it made sense. As we know this is more art than science anyway so why not enjoy a little indulgence when you can. It probably won't hurt and it might help. I would not recommend it as the only treatment for a high INR.

Back