question about heart failure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Hey guys, I posted a little while ago about being watched again, well, it is a month and a half after my appointment, and things have gone downhill fast! I noticed last weekend that I started gaining weight and my ankles were swelling a little bit, but the most alarming thing to me was the fact that it feels like a 100 pound weight on my chest when I'm trying to breathe in. I went to my PCM, who is an internist, and he didn't see the swelling because I am a small person naturally, so he took my word for it, and gave me diuretics. They took a BNP, I will know monday what that says, my question is, my lungs are not congested, and I'm not coughing and wheezing, so does this sound like CHF?

Mild CHF, yes. If it were severe, you'd be having difficulty breathing too. Your BNP will probably come back normal. Might be a better idea to run a BMP and see how your kidneys are functioning.

Joy, I really didn't want to read what was to follow your heading. We will worry about you until we know some results so you will keep us posted? Best wishes for you, Child. Hope the family is well.

Joy, one of the first things I notice is fatigue and tightness in my chest. A bit later I get swelling in my legs and my belly too and then at that point I start to feel shortness of breath. It can come on pretty fast. If I have too much sodium in a meal (like Chinese take-out or Pizza) I know I better take lasix and watch that anything else that I eat be pretty well sodium free. So far it has pretty much taken care of it. Really watch your salt intake as it makes a huge difference. When is your next appointment?

Hi Joy-This sounds exactly like my mom a few weeks ago (who also had mvr surgery due to rheumatic heart disease) She overloaded on salt on her veggies and then felt bad-chest pressure, fatigue. Dr doubled her lasix for a few days and she is fine. She is staying away from the sodium now-saying it just isn't worth it!:rolleyes: Hope you are feeling better! Deb btw-her lungs were not congested either....

Well, I got my BNP results back, and they were normal. I am feeling better, the doc gave me a diuretic. My valves are both leaking and they found a murmur in my aortic valve, but I can rest assured that for now, I am not in any major crisis, I just need to watch what I eat and I have meds if I really need them. I will keep you guys updated!

Thanks for checking back in to let us know, Joy. We know that you are not a stay at home mommy anymore and your days are filled - so when you come in, we know you may have a prbl. Glad to know all is well. Stay happy......

Latest posts

Back