Question about fluid buildup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marcia Becker

I have a question for you guys. Have any of you had fluid buildup in you chest/middle body area, while having very little in your feet? If so, what does it feel like? I am feeling better since my cardiologist put me on Cozaar to lower my heart rate, but I am still baffled about being so miserable before.

Marcia

Oh yes, oh yes, Marcia-

Husband Joe, even after several surgeries has to watch his salt intake very carefully. Too much salt and he puts on weight very suddenly, hence he has to weigh himself every day to monitor it. The fluid buildup occurs in his lungs and stomach area and causes him to be short of breath. Things are better after his surgeries, but not perfect. He is still on Lasix and K-Dur. It will probably be a lifetime problem. He is able to tolerate a small amount of salt now, as opposed to before surgery when he couldn't have ANY foods with salt, that was very hard to do. At that time the fluid was also in his legs and feet, but not now.

Watch your salt intake like a hawk and it might help. If it becomes problematic, call the cardiologist. He might put you on diuretics.

Have you had any surgeries yet?

Marcia,
I never did have swelling in my ankles because of my heart condition... mine was all in my abdomen. I, like Joe, take Lasix (160 mg.) and K-Dur (potassium). My cardio has said that these meds will be a life-time thing. I had surgery to repair my mitral valve a year ago. One month later I developed pericarditis and a month after that pleural effusion (build-up of fluid in the sac surround the lung)... I also weigh myself every day with instructions to call the cardio if I gain more than three pounds overnight.

Are you short of breath? If so you need to see your cardio as soon as possible. If you feel really bad or pass out, please go to the ER at once!

Take care,
Zazzy

hi marcia!
ditto to both previous posts.... my husband, joey is about 2 1/2 weeks post-op and still has some extra fluid in his chest area and his ankles . it is primarily around his abdomen and as nancy said, he too, has to watch his salt intake like a hawk! eating too much food makes him feel uncomfortably full. i basically cook salt free (taste free too!) . he is also taking lasix, but a small dose every other day. also, he weighs himself every day and has specific instructions to call the cardio if he should gain 3 or more pounds.

joey was also told that some meds cause fluid retention, so you might want to look into that.
hopefully this will all subside in good time.

good luck. i hope it helps to know you're not alone.
be well,
sylvia

I had several bouts of pericarditis the first few years after surgery. It causes pain in the chest that increases when you breathe. It is not pleasant but you will know something isn't right. I never really had a lot of swelling prior to MVR surgery but am experiencing some in my hands and abdomen at times now.
I will have to try to stay away from the salt. DARN.

Tammy

Fluid Buildup

Fluid Buildup

Nancy, Zazzy, Sylvia, Tammy,

OK. I'm trying to figure out how this works. Your heart not working properly causes you to dump fluids, and salt makes you retain them? Can this cause heaviness, tightness, and pain in the chest? Loss of appetite and feeling of fullness? Shortness of breathe when not doing anything? Congestion? How about the sinuses: headache and teeth aching? (That's a weird one)

Nancy - no, I haven't had surgery yet. The Balloon Valvuloplasty I had ten years ago is still holding.

I haven't been watching my salt, although I don't use much, and don't eat fast or processed food often. It seems like lowering my heart rate and giving up caffeine (ugh) has made a huge difference in how I feel. My cardio is not convinced all this stuff is due to my heart because tests show no significant recent changes.

Are there side effects to Lasik? It seems that a lot of people here are taking it.

Marcia

hi marcia!
wow! tightness and pain in the chest scares me! is your cardio aware of these symptoms?

my husband, joey, was taking cardizem for awhile which made him retain fluids. he is no longer taking it and is shedding some of the h2o.
would you consider running your meds past your pharmacist and asking if any cause fluid retention?

i'm sorry i can't help more. and yes, salt makes one retain fluids. i go to the bathroom often and my urologist actually told me to eat salted pretzels before long car trips!! it works!

good luck and please let us know what happens!
be well,
sylvia

Hi Marcia,
Side-effects to Lasix? Hmmmmm.... let's see.... how about when you are on a large dose (as I am) you spend LOTS of time in your bathroom!!!! lol

Side-effects of Lasix are: (from WebMD Medication section)

Serious side effects (if you experience these stop taking Lasix and seek emergency medical treatment or call your doctor immediately)
An allergic reaction (dificulty breathing, closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue or face; or hives); muscle cramps; irregular abdominal pain; low blood pressure (weakness, dizziness, fatigue)

Less serious side-effects:
Dry mouth; headache, dizziness or constipation; increased sensitivity to a rash; jaundice (yellow skin); ringin in the ears; nausea; easy bleeding or brusing; numbness in the hands

I haven't noticed any of the above. Hope this helps you.

Take care,
Carol

Latest posts

Back