PVR with tissue valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Leighanne

since there has been discussion on other threads, thought I would ask the question. How much faith do you put in your surgeon to chose the right valve once the type has been determined (bovine pericardium in my case) There are many who make them and I just dont understand the true options once you rule out homograf and mechanical.?? My surgeon says the mechanicals in pulmonary position dont last as well and the homograf start to leak (maybe because of my anatomy too?) after a couple years. I am 7 days away from surgery and cant hardly concentrate enough to think of this. Thoughts, inputs, explanations please?
Leighanne, thanks for the support.

Leighanne,

Refresh my memory on what all they are doing to you. Since my pulmonary valve was perfect when they moved it to my aortic position, that may have made the homograft the best choice to use to replace it. I've never had any problems related to my pulmonary valve in the past so I really don't know much other than what my surgeon explained. I'm not sure what might make your homograft leak after after a couple of years, but I was told that mine should last a long time (maybe forever). I would ask your surgeon to clarify your options again and ask why he recommends the bovine valve.

Leighanne,
Wish I could help...but as you know it's hard to find info on pulmonary valve statistics..and there's no need for me to raise what I've learned here in Australia, because it seems we're a few years behind you guys in the U.S. A cousin of mine (who is a cardio tech) has forwarded me some medical journals that I'm going to look through tonight. If I find anything will help, I'll let you know. My wife said to say that she thinks you should go out for some "girl time"...get a massage, go out for a coffee with a friend or do something else 'just for you' before you have the surgery. It sounds like you really need it, especially as it's a stressful time worrying about the valve choice for your surgery, as well as all that is happening with your son.
Take care,
Chris

Chris
Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find out if anything in those journals. There is not much info at all and it is very frustrating. I did get two opinions for those who have discussed it. I saw a doctor and a surgeon at Mass General in Boston as well as Childrens and chose Childrens. I got the feeling that the Mass General surgeon would have suggested a tissue valve of some sort because he made the statement that if you have a mechanical valve the only way to get it out is with OHS and I guess they feel like since there is high probability of future less invasive procedures for VR, it is worth placing a valve in that you know will not last forever. I have gone back and forth so much on this, and in the end I think once you chose a surgeon you also chose to go with their instinct and reccomendation. My surgeon is replacing 1-2 PV per month now and does 140-160 adults per year plus the kids. He is part of one of the best congenital centers in the U.S. and I am not sure what else I could get by going somewhere else. Any thoughts, anyone??Leighanne

Back