Pump Head

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sleeping pills work fine! Tell your doctor that was a big deal for mine that I got plenty of sleep and good long sleep! He took care of it for me! :) snooze time! I also had pump head and think I will always have a touch of it. I am just different some days better than others. Doctors don't really want to fess up to it or talk about it much.

My 79 yo mom is 3 weeks post-op for AVR & 2 bypasses and this explains a lot - she's lost all depth perception, taste, hearing has deteriorated significantly and her mental processing seems to have declined by about 70% - short term memory is gone. We are hoping it's temporary - lots of trauma, anesthesia and pain meds to recover from - her cardiologist told us about the heart lung machine syndrome. But it beats the alternative - she' is still with us. ;o)

My father had a triple bypass at 77. He was very out of it for several weeks. Then he did come back, fully. However, he lived to be 88 and the last 6 years were progressivley deteriorating, mentally. Please take notes on any comments her surgeons might make about little mini strokes that might have occured during surgery, or how her corratid arteries (sp) look or if they should be "worked on" at some point.

Consider using the memory loss drugs (Aricept) if things don't clear up (and, of course, only if they are recommended) as they really do keep things in check for awhile.

Not trying to scare you at all. Just be proactive. But right now, be patient. The drugs are practically hallucinogens for someone that age, I think!!! They make all of us a little nuts! Just be gentle and supportive and she will probably bounce back soon.

I know just what you mean when you say, at least she's still with us. I can still remember driving him home from the hospital (he didn't actually know who I was yet) and thinking I didn't care..... I just wasnt' ready to lose him.
And of course, last year I wasn't really ready either, but it was for the best at that point. :(

Best wishes.

Marguerite

I sleep like a baby but after three years I still forget why I walked in to rooms .... If it were not for computer reminders and post-it notes I would be screwed:rolleyes:

Ditto me that!!!

I had so much trouble sleeping before my surgery (let's see, waited 3 years, couldn't sleep well for 2, I guess) that I was exhausted afterwards and have slept so much better ever since!! But still (though less and less) I forget what I'm in the middle of!! Of course I can blame some of this on menopause, too! I'm covered!

I hope she will soon find some relief. If she knows that many of us experienced the same thing then maybe that will be comforting.

Marguerite

I will have to check up with her this weekend and see if things are better. Hopefully
they will be, otherwise she seemed to be recovering quite well. Laura

I haven't gotten any sleep for more than 2 hrs a night for the last 3 years, unless I take something to sleep.

I'm hoping that the can push the reset button on Mon. while in surgery. Lol.

Pump head was discussed this last week when they went over what to expect. This was at CC, so they obviously know that it is a reality.

I had to take something for sleep for 7 months. One night I decided to stop taking the pills. It took a week for me to be able to fall asleep in under 3 hrs. Now I only take ambien if the upstairs neighbor has company at bedtime..I can even get a 5 hr straight sleep some nights. So to encourage anyone having trouble,,hopefully it will improve with time.

Oddly enough I only have been waking up 1 or 2 times during the night so far. I guess it truly depends on the individual, and the technique they use on the by-pass machine.

I sleep better now than I did while I was waiting for the surgery. I took ativan before the surgery. They told me I can take it now....but have not. I take naps also. I guess I'm just catching up from the long wait for surgery.

Latest posts

Back