Pump Head

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was concerned too

I was concerned too

boomersooner said:
Did anyone here at VR.com experienced pump head after their surgery? This really freaks me out. There is a study by Duke that shows 42% of people that go on the heart and lung machine lose 20% of their cognitive capacity capabilities 5 years after surgery! Has anyone been told anything different by their surgeons or anything at all about pump head?

Thanks
Jared

Jared,

I was so concerned about the effects of pump head, that I had a long discussion with my surgeon a few days before my surgery. He seemed to lean in the direction that pump head is not as big of an issue that "some tests" have made it out to be. He also said that older patients (60's, 70's) tend to have more issues with it then younger patients do.

I remember the moment I came out from under the anesthesia. The first thing I asked my wife is "What day is it?". The reason I asked that question was due to some threads in this forum where some individuals had gone into a short coma due to whatever complications they ran into. Wanted to make sure it was still the same day.

Once I realized that it was that afternoon, I started thinking about items I do at work. I write software for a living, so I started thinking about how I would implement certain functionality. Didn't seem to have any issues with it. Thought about the days leading up to the surgery. No problems remembering things there.

The biggest thing that stood out for me was the comment my surgeon made. When I asked about the pump head, he said this. "Well, if you don't do anything, you heart will continue to enlarge. From there you will start to go into Congestive Heart Failure. At some point your heart will start to fail. At that point you will be looking at needing a heart transplant.

Anyway, it really puts it all in perspective when you think you could possibly kill yourself if you don't get your valve repaired/replaced.

I wouldn't sweat Pump Head. I think I really worried myself about it WAY to much.

Hope this helps.

Pump Head

I don't doubt there has been some cognitive loss due to pumphead, but I think I've recovered over the years. I am frequently impressed by the post surgery posts of some of our forum members. I think the initial trouble I had, was what Bina referred to, and largely due to anesthesia. Many folks these days, blow me away with their ability to post within just a few days of OHS.:) All the best, Brian

What? Me? Pump Head?

What? Me? Pump Head?

First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm a bit annoyed with all this talk about my "open heart surgery," and my "Ross Procedure."

If I'd been through all that just 11 months ago, I'd remember it. And I don't. So please stop talking about it.

Also, I don't know who that guy is in those pictures on my web site. I'd take them down, but I also can't remember the password to the site.

Oh, and I'd like to add that all this talk about "Pump Head" is bunk.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! :p

High Expectations

High Expectations

Jared, Looking at your avatar I have very high expectations for your post op posts!:D

haha!

Well thanks for the feedback everyone. I will keep everyone updated and let you guys know when my sugery gets scheduled.

Pumphead? What pumphead, I don't remember having pumphead! :p

Seriously, though, I was quite concerned about cognitive decline from the surgery. I do software for a living and have to be pretty sharp on the details and constantly learning. I was afraid it would impact my ability to be productive at work.

I tried a little game for the first month back. Each morning I would park in a random spot rather than parking in the same spot every day like I usually do. Front, back, or sides of the building at random. My test was simple, would I remember where my car was by lunch or would I walk out the wrong door in confusion. After a month of finding the car with ease I gave up that little test and went back to my old ways. Even in the CICU and up on the stepdown floor I was testing myself with the nurses names. I would read their badge the first time I saw them and then try to greet them by name when they would next come around. I smiled as I read jgibson's post, I was doing the same thing. I was concerned that I have both a working heart AND brain when I woke up!

I suspect there is something to pumphead but I'll never know for sure. Plenty of folk lose their keys or walk upstairs only to forget what they went up there for. I do know for me it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be.

Now, what were we talking about again?!? :cool:

Welcome boomer!

Ruth

Latest posts

Back