Pump Head

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

I have seen 'pump head' referred to in several threads and read a couple of articles on it. How many folks here have actually had it and what did you experience? I have noticed a few things with myself since my surgery including a goofy note I sent to school with my daughter this week. She brought it home laughing. Was it permanent?

Mary,

This could turn out to be a funny thread:D It is very real as far as I am concerned. I am 14 months out and am much clearer than before and it is getting better. When I went back to work I had to jot down notes about everything that I needed to remember, I think I kept post-it notes in business. I also would forget what I walked into rooms for (except the kitchen:D ). It is much better now and seems to continue to improve. I will be 51 this month so some brain farts may be age related but there is no doubt that AVR surgery knocked my cognitive function(what there was) for a loop. My wife said that I said crazy things that made no sense but I don't remember that.:D

Anyway uses it to your advantage. Every time I do or say something stupid I claim pumphead, makes me feel better anyway:rolleyes:

Tom

I'm going on 3 1/2 years out from OHS and feel I still suffer mild symptoms of pump head. I am a constant list maker and note writer. If I don't write it down, I forget it. I have to list all errands I plan on doing before I get into my car or I come home with half of them undone.

Sometimes my DH will tell me something and several days later I have no memory of it. I'm making it sound more severe than it really is in the sense I lead a full, productive life but it is annoying to no longer have the great memory I used to enjoy.

I am less 'sharp' when it comes to numbers/figures. I used to be very able mathematically but not now. Sure I can still do all I need to do but what I used to do in my head now requires a paper and pencil or takes me longer than it used to.

Seeing as I no longer work outside my home, it's fine and doesn't impact my life hugely but would be a problem if I were still doing the work I used to do.

I've never even discussed this with my cardio.....what's the point?

Well, when my husband was in the hopital he was such in a haze from very low BP and meds. The first time he looked down at his chest in the step-down unit and saw the many staples he said: "Oh, they put in a zipper! That makes sense!":D Everyone cracked up. Wished it would have been that simple!
The first week in the hospital his short term memory wasn't very good. He'd say to me" can't you just do one thing for me" and I had been fussing over him non-stop! But you can't hit a vavle patient :rolleyes:

He is now 11 months out and forgetful on occasion - loosing glasses etc. but it's hard to tell if it's from pump head or inadequate sleep. Since his OHS he doesn't always sleep that soundly. But it does make for funny stories.

Even before my operation I was forgetful (probably age related), and I've always been a bit scatterbrained!! So, I really can't tell the difference! It's just that now, every time I do something goofy, I have something to blame it on!:D :p

I hear it's real, too, and can vouch for it. I've always been high-strung with a million things on my plate at any time, so it's easy for me to be forgetful. In fact, this year since I've gone back to work, I've noticed my "pumpheadedness." I'll forget my students' names at times, even what I'm going to say in my lectures. But then again, I've always been a bit scatterbrained. :rolleyes: It's just easier to blame it on the pump. (And I've "heard" that we can only use that excuse for a year, so I can be "pumpheaded" until June.:p )

I even wrote in my thank-you note to my cardio that he could call me pumpheaded because I'd forgotten to bring him his thank-you gift for three months. I had ordered him a personalized baseball jersey from my school before my surgery, forgot about it, gave him another thank-you present in September before I went back to work, and a couple weeks later the jersey showed up in my classroom. Then I kept forgetting to bring that present to him. My cardio got a laugh out of it.

Pumpheadedness...that's my excuse! :D

Debi (debster913)

The biggest problem I have noticed (and it still happens almost 13 years after my last OHS) is trouble finding words. I know what I want to say but I often forget the word I want and it takes awhile to come up with it.

Right after surgery I not only couldn't find the right word but I would not notice and say a word totally alien to my thought. We had a lot of laughs about me asking for things like "dinosaur" when I wanted "lunch" or similar things. I still have trouble now and then with finding the right word but, at least, I can recognize that I am missing the word and do not say something stupid in its place.

I am not sure what is stroke residue damage and what is pumphead. Prior to all this nonsense I used to run the IT for my (former) employer, I was the technical one. I can no longer work things out, I find it hard to follow instructions.

These days I find it less frustrating not to try. Example, the clock in my car at the change with summer saving and back, the first time I tried to do it I ended up in the next year somewhere and not even the right month. I had to take the car to the garage and get them to set the clock for me. Now I just have it an hour wrong for half the year. :)

The first and worse example of pumphead was the day I was discharged from hospital after OHS. I felt nauseous and fumbled in my bag for my anit-nausea pills which were in a small bottle. Er, my OLD anti-nausea pills were in a bottle, the NEW ones were in a packet and it was digoxin in the bottle! As I was suffering (unbeknown to me) with digoxin toxicity anyway that did me no good at all. I spent five hours that evening in the ER and later in the week had complete heartblock due to the digoxin toxicity.

I was told by my daughter and husband that I was very funny for a few weeks after sugery. I think this tapered off but went on for a month or so. Now what I'm finding, as Gina, there are words that just will not come to me. Especially names. People whom I have known for a long long time, their names, last names the worst, will just not pop up immediately. Vocabulary words are sometimes stubborn too. Like you want to make a particular point, and that one word that would punctuate that point just escapes you. It can be very frustrating, but I find that if I just relax my mind, it often comes to me now. It is what it is. Being upfront with people and laughing at yourself (even if you are alone!) has been my best antidote.

Another thing I've discovered is that sometimes I just don't want to bother to "focus" so hard on something anymore. Like a school child, I'd rather look outside at the pretty scenery, or just sit and feel the warm sun than do just about anything else. It's not that I can't focus, rather that I more stubbornly do not choose to!!

I think you'll find that your pumphead type incidents will get fewer and farther between.

:) You're not alone! Marguerite

Jkm7 said:
If I don't write it down, I forget it.

*nods*

Oh my ... I am the exact same way ... he he.

It is VERY frustrating to either forget to do something or not be able to come up with a word. Yet, at the same time, in some cases (NOT ALL, mind you) this type of situation does help to bring some humor into one's life......

Still.....it is frustrating ... heh. Irony rocks ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7:30p central.Friday/April 20 = www.wrmn1410.com

Same for me about coming up with the right word. It is so frustrating and a bit embarrassing. For example, I really wanted a vanilla milkshake while running errands so I managed to make the fast-food drive thru "on" my way home. When I got to the microphone to order, I couldn't remember what it was called. Best I could come up with was "smoothie". So, I asked for that and the lady said we only have "shakes". Whew, I just couldn't get the word, it was so weird.

NIH says Pumphead doesn't exist according to their studies. I think it does. With more & more heart surgeries being done off pump these days (like stents & angioplasty) I think the medical community is less concerned about the effects of the heart lung machine.

I'm only 3 months from surgery but I do think it is lessening. At least the pump let me HAVE the surgery I needed. For that I'm forever thankful.

Oh, and don't ask my kids/family, they'll say I'm as scatterbrained as ever before :rolleyes:

Ruth

It sounds like I am not alone in the mental moments I have had since surgery. I start back to work on Monday and my job requires me to remember a lot of details and do some math calculations. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I am already the 'queen of the sticky note' but I better go stock up to prepare for the additional use! :)

PS And you better believe I will be using the 'pump head' excuse every chance I get! :D (Ruth, I have the same problem you do - it will be a hard sell with my husband and kids.)

Oh, I KNOW I suffer from "pumphead"! After 15 sugeries and most of them with anesthesia, I have a hard time remembering all kinds of things! It doesn't make too much of a difference in the day to day (yes, I frequently walk into a room and completely forget why I entered it), but I think the most annoying thing is when I am told about a conversation or something that happened (either recently or a long time ago) and I have NO recollection of it at all. It's frustrating. I feel like I barely remember my life sometimes. Not big important things, just little memories that other people have and I don't.

Mary -

I start back to work on Monday and I've been concerned about the "pump head" issue too. I work as a webmaster and there's tons of details on my mind at any time. Maybe I need sticky notes too? I use the lists available over on iPrioritize.com it helps me keep track of things when I'm at work and at home. I am the master of all lists and always have been, it lets me keep my scatterbrained reputation at bay. :eek:

Ruth

Interesting thread. I can tell you that a lot of the symptoms sound just like me son's ADD (NOT ADHD), especially about not being able to get the right word. I haven't noticed that it is any worse since his surgery, but it is certainly not any better. Unfortunately, because of his heart damage he can never take his ADD medicine again.

Completed Day 2 back at work today. Good news - I didn't forget everything!! :) As a matter of fact, I remembered quite a few details about projects I was working on right before I had my surgery. I am still playing catch up (& there are times when I am trying to use a term and can't remember the word!) but I am relieved that I can see myself getting back in the groove in a few weeks.

I had my weekly status call with my supervisor this morning and I lucked out. He had a cold and was on all kinds of medicine. He was having problems remembering things and I was finishing his sentences for him!! :D

MaryC said:
I have seen 'pump head' referred to in several threads and read a couple of articles on it. How many folks here have actually had it and what did you experience? I have noticed a few things with myself since my surgery including a goofy note I sent to school with my daughter this week. She brought it home laughing. Was it permanent?

I think we all experience some degree of it. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are still concerned, call the teacher and remind him/her that you've just come through a pretty life changing event and goofy notes might be expected. :)

I love words and do many games, reading to learn more and more. I even subscribe to two 'word of the day' dictionary sites. Funny thing is that when I want to use some of them, they won't come to mind! Names are especially a problem. I have been a menber of a Sunday school class for nearly 3 years and still don't remember ALL the names. I gave someone a calendar book at Christmas; she asked me to inscribe it and I couldn't for the life of me remember her LAST name and had to explain why! I have only heard it a thousand or more times.

Latest posts

Back