Pulmonary hypertension, congestive heart failure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulmonary hypertension, congestive heart failure

• pulmonary hypertension

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • congestive heart failure

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • pulmonary hypertension and congestive heart failure

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nancy, this may be a foolish question.....does it count if it was only temporary? I went into CHF because of cardiac tamponade and overload.

Not any more, I don't think

Not any more, I don't think

Prior to my mitral valve repair, I was told I had pulmonary hypertension, but the surgery was supposed to correct that problem. I sure hope it did! I was also told that if I didn't have the surgery, I would go into chf.

Weekycat

Weekycat

Can Pulmonary Hypertension go away just like that?

I think in mine and Johnny's cases, it was "secondary" pulmonary hypertension, meaning it was caused by the valve not working properly. Once the valve was repaired or replaced, the problem was "resolved" as Johnny said.

I'm just remembering that I read up on this when the cardiologist first said I had PH, and it could either be primary or secondary.
I suppose if it is primary, it probably doesn't just go away.

what weekycat said

what weekycat said

Yes, I think the PH being secondary in my case is correct...the mitral valve was MUCH more stenotic than they suspected going in.

I guess Joe was just an unlucky one. His valves are working fine, except for his tricuspid which is connected to the PH. So they had to treat it as a totally separate issue and considered it primary pulmonary hypertension. His pressure when he went in was 79 and he was in Class IV CHF.

I have CHF (I control it with lasix) and also have had severe pulmonary hypertension before my last surgery. They said that if I didn't get the pressure in my lungs down I risked losing them. I was on Vasotec also some other meds but couldn't take them. The doctors were hoping to lower my lasix (160 mgs a day) after my last surgery but when they did I just filled back up and landed myself back in the hospital. My PA said that I would probably always be on this dose but at least it works for me. They said the PH is under control now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just curious

Just curious

I just wonder because my cardio told me "not to worry about my PH, It's gone". But I haven't had any valve replaced, just opened a tad. It's just that PH is so horrible, and I think because I've just had my Mitral valve widened, that in time, it will be something to worry about again.

And yeah, Secondary is when they know of the problem causing the PH. Primary is when they're basicly clueless to what caused it.

hmmm. I guess for now, it will remain on my brain. :)

Clueless

Clueless

Did I have to have any of the 3?When I saw my PCP..asked him to tell me about my 6 month echo. Said it was great..I asked him How long will I have to be on my meds from him..HCTZ 12.5 mg.a day and cozaar100 mg. a day. I said for how long..He laughed and said as long as I had a heart:confused: :confused: :confused: Now, I wonder what he meant:confused: :confused: B/P is normal everyday at about 125/70.. I thought you could lower B/P with exercise, no salt..ect..No side effects other than cost of cozaar.:mad: :mad: I will keep taking them..Thank goodness for my insurance. Bonnie

Most people don't get either of these conditions on a permanent basis. I would suspect that a lot of people have CHF to some degree prior to surgery, but it is resolved after surgery in most cases. But depending on the damage to the heart muscle and some other things, CHF may become chronic, even after surgery.

Pulmonary hypertension is a rare animal and frankly I'm surprised that so many have it or have had it. Pulmonary hypertension which is secondary to heart valve problems will resolve after the valve is corrected. But pulmonary hypertension can be secondary to other problems as well. And pulmonary hypertension can be primary, which means that there are no underlying known causes.

I didn't expect to see so many responses.

Has anybody but Joe been told that they have primary pulmonary hypertension or unresolved secondary pulmonary hypertension?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back