PT system for hubby?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nefarious_muse

Hello All, I'm new here but wanted to say that I love this site! very informative :)

Ok, my 40yr old husband had aortic valve replacement (St Judes mechanical) along w/aortic root replacement due to aneurysm. He's 2yrs post op, has been consistent w/his coumadin levels (finally after about a year of going up and down), and wants to check out the pro time system.

Maybe there have been other posts here about this - so forgive me if this is a repeat question (!) but would love to hear from those using the system. Is it reliable? any problems with the machine? any issues to consider before getting one?

Thanks in advance for your insight and wisdom!

Nef

My pt machine is reliable, easy to use in my home, and the company gives very good customer support.
My insurance paid all but 10%, so it was a deal.
Gail

Protime Machine...

Protime Machine...

Hi Nef, and welcome this this wonderful site. About the Protime machine. I've been using it for over two years and find it to be very user friendly and accurate.
Not all insurance companies cover this machine and mine also refused to pay. It also won't cover the supplies but to me it's still worth the price because of the freedom you will have by owning this machine. I have taken it on vacations within the US and Europe and never have to wonder where to find a lab to have the protimes done.
I test every other week right now, but when needed I test more often. I call it in to my doctor and he calls back with any changes.
Anyway, I hope I have helped you, and if you have anymore questions, please ask and someone will come along to give you the answer you are looking for.

Thanks everyone for your responses:)

We're going to talk to the doctor & insurance co and see what we need to do to get the system.

One more question: any advice about transitioning to the PT system? For instance, do you still go to lab for tests for the first few months to compare results from PT system? If so, how often?
I guess I just want to see how to ensure that the PT system is properly calibrated, etc.

Thanks again :)
Nef

You'll usually go once a month to the lab for testing.

You may want to download the forms and such from the link below to take to the Doctors with you:
http://www.hometestmed.com/p_protime.htm

The people at QAS/Protime will pursue your insurance company including appeals if that becomes necessary. I'd just get the forms, have your Doc fill out his portion and you fill out yours, then let QAS approach the insurance company. It seems to work better that way. ;)

Hello Nef

We've had the Protime for about 8 months, test every week, and have NEVER gone to a lab for a blood draw. Once we brought our machine in to our cardio's clinic for a comparison check, but basically we just test and fac the results if Tyce is out of range. Easy!!! We love the Protime and were lucky that our insurances both covered it and the supplies. I can tell you that we would own one even if our insurance didn't cover it.......whatever it would have taken!!! The freedom is well worth it, along with knowing that you are using the same machine every time. We have checked the machine's accuracy by using ME as the guinea pig---I'd rather be the stickor than the stickee anytime!!!!!!

QAS will work with you and your insurance company. We found that the more the cardio wrote about why my husband needed the machine, the better it seemed to be for the insurance co. Don't be afraid to appeal it as much as you have to.....it is WELL worth the effort.

Good luck with the getting the machine.

Evelyn

I'v had the same surgery as Nef's husband, but am only one year post op. Now thinking of home testing.
What are the differences between the two machines available??
Has anyone from Canada purchased one and are they available on this side of the border??
What are the costs and does blue cross cover ??

ProTime Machine

ProTime Machine

Hi all,

You have a few questions I would like to address.

As far as the accuracy of the ProTime the International Sensitivity Index of this machine is 1.0 (a lot of labs don't have an ISI of this).
Our monitor is self-calibrating. When you turn the monitor on it runs through some 80 different checks within the system to make sure it is working properly. It runs on a ni-cad battery similar to what you use in your cell phones. Our quality controls are on-board so they are built right in. You don't have to use wet controls to make sure it is reading your samples properly.

As far as going to the lab it really is up to your doctor. Usually in the beginning the doctors will have you go to the labs for a few times - once he sees how we compare to the labs he usually tells you to use your machine and he will let you know when he wants you to go to the lab. However, most doctors are familiar with our monitor and its accuracy.

Canada distributors

Canada distributors

Hi,

We do have some distributors in Canada. I would like to send you back to the manufacturer of the ProTime, ITC, (International Technidyne Corporation), talk to Jay Patel - 732-548-5700, x282.

There are some definite differences between the ProTime and the other monitor you asked about. Our machine has an ISI of 1.0 - theirs is 2.04. We use human thromboplastin as our chemical reagent - they use rabbit thromboplastin. Our controls are built right in to our testing strips - with theirs you have to use high and low wet controls and use three test strips each time you run a test.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back