ProTime Cost

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

QAS

Dear ProTime users:

In regards to the recent discussion about the cost of home testing, I think you will appreciate the fact that the ProTime Cuvettes are the cheapest supplies on the market. In the CoagChek handbook it states: "two levels of electronic or wet controls must be performed daily to ensure proper performance."
From our calls to CoaguChek, that adds up to eighteen dollars per test, if everything is done as it is supposed to. A patient has to use three strips (six dollars per strip) to make sure the results are accurate. With the ProTime machine, as you all are aware, the cost is twelve dollars per test, which includes the quality control. I hope this helps justify some of the cost. Thanks,

Lance

P.S. I know that both monitors are accurate and self-testing is good, regardless of which device you use.

Controls

Controls

For me personally, and with my past experience in the medical field. People NEVER run the controls that are ALWAYS supposed to be run.

No matter how often the manufacturer requires one to run controls to maintain accurate results. It is just easier to grab a test strip and start bleeding. We want results and we want them now.

Is your machine going to be accurate without the controls? Who knows! But without controls, these finely tuned medical devices can go on reporting whatever their little displays care to report.

That is one MAJOR feature that I like about the ProTime. Controls are run with every single test, and it doesn't require any extra steps.

Thanks for the comparison info Lance.

Hank has a point. I was informed by my training nurse (off the record) on the Coaguchek that running controls each and every time is a bit of overkill.

I have not found my unit to be any less accurate in comparison to the lab running controls once per box.

Coaguchek Controls

Coaguchek Controls

I run controls once with a new box of strips and a new "chip". This works for me.

Thanks for proving my point Gina and Marty!

Thanks for proving my point Gina and Marty!

That is my point exactly! It is simply not affordable or practical to follow the manufacturers instructions. Why did they design a machine and say that controls should be run with every test. I venture to say that there is not 1 in 100 persons who runs the stupid controls every time they use the machine.

I am not saying that y'all are getting bogus results because you don't use the machine like the manufac, suggests. But the manufacturer will always have that little item to hang over users heads.

"But you didn't operate the machine as we specified, how do you expect it to function as we specified?"

Thats the kind of crap they will come up with.

Damned if you do, and surviving if you don't.

My results have always been within range of the lab. Even with running the controls once a box. I have been told by medical professionals. Running controls each and every time is major"overkill" on Roche's part. It's a money maker. So why not use the extra strips. :eek: Also, there are two controls. One white and one blue. White is for calibrating lower range INR's. Blue higher range. So at that....I just use the blue. Works just dandy for me. I am happy and so is my doctor with the comparision results. How much more can I say :D

Whats Important?

Whats Important?

The MOST important thing is that we are taking control of our own situations and educating ourselves as to what is the best for us.

Home testing is important and its benefits are worth the costs.

You're right Hank....that is the bottom line!!! Without this site I may not be as aware of my options and the best ways to be proactive in my own care. Many thanks to all the folks here for always offering help to all.

Zipper:) :cool:

Latest posts

Back