pros and cons of coumdin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

richie rich

Hi Everyone,

I will be having my AVR surgery the day after Xmas. I am still debating which valve to use. it will either be the Ross Procedure or the mechancial. I was hoping that some of the fine folks on this board could teach me about the pros anc cons of coumdin.
I am 32 years old, fairly active, non drinker who shys away from eating greeny foods. I play soccer on a men's over 30 team and I coach my son's scooer team ( no major activity there except for getting their attention, they are only 4 years old).
I would love to hear from anyone but especailly younger people between the ages of 20-40 whoc can give me some imput. If I get a mechancial i can assume that I will be on Coumdin for the next seventy years.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Richie-

Well, my husband isn't within your young parameters, but he has been on Coumadin for 25 years. He has two mechanical valves, aortic which is the 25 year old valve, and mitral which is the 3 year old valve. He had rheumatic fever, and has had both stenosis and regurgitation.

Coumadin for him, has been one of the least problematic meds. It does require a lot of testing via bloodwork to determine the proper dosage, and it's a must to have someone who understands Coumadin doing your monitoring. But aside from that I cannot think of anything strange that has happened to him as a result of being on it.

He eats pretty much what he wants, but has to stay low salt for his CHF, but that has nothing to do with Coumadin.

Good luck in your choice.

Yes

Yes

You will be on coumadin for the next 70 years. You can also assume that you would have 2 more open-heart surgeries to replace any other type but mechanical in the next 70 years.:eek: If you can remember to take a pill, once a day, you should be fine. You seem to have a goodlife style, the non-drinking..don't like greens type...but do LOTS of research on all types before you make your decision. Bonnie

Hi Richie!

Hi Richie!

I am 34 years old and just had a mechanical aortic valve put in almost 12 weeks ago. I was always very active before my surgery and plan to continue that now that I have had the surgery. I am on coumadin and so far I haven't notice it keeping me from doing anything I didn't do before the surgery. The only thing is that in the beginning it may take a little bit of time to get your dosage stable, but after that things usually are fine. I was never really given the option of anything other than a mechanical valve. My situation was kind of an emergency. They went with the mechanical because of my age. Even when I knew that I may need to have the valve replaced, I was leaning towards the mechanical because I didn't want to have surgery again if I could help it. Bonnie is right though. This decision is a very personal decision. Everyone is different. Do a lot of research. Whatever you choose, I know everything will be just fine.

Take Care & Good Luck!
Gail

Hi Rich,
Well i'm not young either but after six and a half years on Coumadin it has been no problem at all.
I do a lot of home remodeling and so forth around the house.
I get some bruises and if I cut myself I bleed a little longer but it's no big deal.
I get my blood checked once every month and you would want to make sure you can do this conveniently.
My hospital has a special blood lab just for patients like myself where we are in and out in a matter of a few minutes and on our way again.
If you don't eat a lot of greens and don't drink then you sound lkie a pretty good candidate for this.
The whole thing is a tough choice so keep researching all you can.
And besides youv'e already got the right name!:D
Rich

Joann has been on coumadin for 31 years. We never had a choice in 1971. Would make the same decision that the doctors made. The new mechanicals will last a long, long time.

I would listen to the Doctor's recommendation and then make your decision. To each his own.

I'm 49 and have been on Coumadin for almost two years since I had my mechanical valve installed. I lead an active lifestyle including working out at the gym five times a week along with other sports including swimming, running, golf, and tennis.
It took about six weeks after my surgery to get my INR stabilized, but since then it is consistently in the 3.2 - 3.4 range (I take 5 mg/day). I get tested every 4-6 weeks.
I have not had any problems at all with bleeding or bruising.
My doctor has not restricted my diet or activities, but advised not to binge either on foods high in vitamin K or on alcohol. I'm not a big drinker, but do enjoy a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner.
For me it was an easy decision to go with a mechanical valve. The Coumadin has really been a non-issue to me.
Good luck,

Mark

i want to thank everyone for their thoughts and replys. I still haven't made a decision but I am going into NYC today to see Dr. Stephen Colvin at NYU. He is has been highly recommended to me by 2 cardios and one surgeon that I saw last week.

P.S. MarkU what year Vette do you have. I just bought a 97 coupe after i found out that i had to replace my vavle. I figured that life is short and I should enjoy it.

There will be a replacement for warfarin in more like 7 years than 70 years.

I do not think Coumadin should be a major factor in the valve decision. You should select the valve which you have the most confidence. Your surgeon will probably hint towards what is best for you, but in the end, it is your decision.

Although you may see a lot of discussion on this Forum about Coumadin, it really is not a big problem for the vast majority of people. It makes interesting conversation to compare results, but most people on Coumadin do not alter their life-style much except for some modification in the quantity of certain foods.

My valve is going on 21 next June!

My valve is going on 21 next June!

Hi Rich,

I have been on Coumadin for the past 20 years. I didn't have a choice in my valve selection. I think that things have changed a lot over the years.

I have never let this Rx stop me from doing anything I wanted to. I work out, and in the winter I ski-not nearly as often as I would like to.

My side effects: always cold (even in summer), my INR's are very irratic and I have had one subdural hematoma (bleed in my head) and last year a bleed in my hip from Lovenox.

Given your age, I would think that a mechanical would be the way to go, but that certainly is your decision. Good luck.

Gisele

Latest posts

Back