Promise on the antibiotic horizon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Paleogirl;n861402 said:
There was a recent article on the BBC about the massive use of prophylactic antibiotics used in the farming industry. In some countries there is much greater use of antibiotics in farming than in medicine leading to antibiotic resistance: 'Farmers urged to cut antibiotic use': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35030262

well agriculture is about 80% of the use in the USA ... I've posted here in the past showing figures like that before. I think its safe to say that handicapping heart valve patients because of fears of antibiotic use is like filing a fingernail in comparison to the rest of the body...

pellicle;n861405 said:
I think its safe to say that handicapping heart valve patients because of fears of antibiotic use is like filing a fingernail in comparison to the rest of the body...
Exactly what I think. Thankfully, although in the UK NICE doesn't recommend antibiotic prophylaxsis for heart valve patients, my GP and cardiac surgeon think I should have them should I ever have invasive dental work and suchlike so I have them on my repeat prescription to order any time I need. I certainly hope I don't need them - I had several courses of antibiotics early last year because of dental problems and i then spent a fortune on probiotics to repopulate the decimated good bacteria in my body !

I think it's just dreadful the use of antibiotics by farmers.

They have to use the antibiotics because the animals live in squalor and would unfortunately die, the NZ pork industry has been under the spotlight in the media several times recently here in New Zealand as their farming methods are similar to battery hens which are also full of antibiotics.

Which shows why those farming methods are so curel for the animals and produce unhealthy meat too - most of them are also fed antibiotics to fatten them. The BBC article mentions Denmark where farmers reduced antibiotic use. Denmark has a huge pork industry: "The Danish example shows that, after a very initial transition cost, actually over the long term prices weren't affected and Denmark has continued to maintain its market share."Antibiotics are most useful in cramped dirty conditions where infections are easier to spread, so more spacious and hygienic living conditions are one way to reduce the need for antibiotics."

[FONT=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Consumers can help by not buying meat from factory farmed animals. People will complain that free range and organically fed animals which are not given antibiotics, unless they are ill, is more expensive, but if more people would only purchase that kind of meat the price would come down as it would be in farmers' interests to produce what consumers want.[/FONT]

I absolutely agree, Paleogirl. I never buy factory farmed meat. I would rather eat less meat, and eat it with a clear conscience. Much tastier and better for you too.
The article on new antibiotics is interesting and hopeful too. I find the expeditions to look for antibiotics in deep ocean trenches fascinating as well.

Paleogirl;n861445 said:
Which shows why those farming methods are so curel for the animals and produce unhealthy meat too - most of them are also fed antibiotics to fatten them. The BBC article mentions Denmark where farmers reduced antibiotic use. Denmark has a huge pork industry: "The Danish example shows that, after a very initial transition cost, actually over the long term prices weren't affected and Denmark has continued to maintain its market share."Antibiotics are most useful in cramped dirty conditions where infections are easier to spread, so more spacious and hygienic living conditions are one way to reduce the need for antibiotics."

[FONT=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Consumers can help by not buying meat from factory farmed animals. People will complain that free range and organically fed animals which are not given antibiotics, unless they are ill, is more expensive, but if more people would only purchase that kind of meat the price would come down as it would be in farmers' interests to produce what consumers want.[/FONT]

The price would drop, similar to what has happened with led light bulbs over the last few years. Unfortunately a lot of consumers, many of whom have limited choices in their area and limited finances, are unlikely to voluntarily choose more expensive meat. The only way that'll happen is with regulations that would have to be phased in.

Latest posts

Back