Prolonged Atenolol Use?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryp

Hello,

I wonder how long we can take this drug before it is not effective anymore?

Can you please let me know if any of you have been on this longer than 5 yrs and 10yrs and at what dose? Any long term sideffects?

I am only 36 and have been taking 100mg daily since surgery 2.5 yrs ago. Although it seems to be working well I cannot fathom the same medication working for the next 20-25 yrs (hopefully I live that long).

I know that the cardios can switch around the meds once one has be rendered in-effective but then what?

Thank you for sharing

Hi! My mom was on this med for years...at least 5 if not many more. She had to go on more heavy hitters after her surgery as it wasn't cuttin' it any more. She is on Coreg, Diovan, and a bunch of others. Don't worry-there are MANY other bp drugs out there if needed. It has been trial and error for mom, but she is on a group of meds that seems to be working for her. Best wishes to you:) Deb

Good question. I've been on it going on 6 years now. Often wonder if I really need it.

Hi, Cory--

I was on atenolol from 1999 until last year, five months after my valve repair. I'd been complaining to my cardio that the atenolol wasn't doing its job anymore. He had adjusted my dosage around the time I had an electrophysiology study (I have non-sustained ventricular tachycardia) and it made no difference in the amount of PVCs I had. He then switched my to Betapace (sotalol) which works much better. I barely have any PVCs unless I miss a dose, and I was on such a high dosage for a while that I was always tired and dizzy, so the doc reduced me down to one pill (80 mg) a day.

Anyway, that's my experience. I've been having rhythm issues for years, even after my valve repair.

Take care,
Debi

Latest posts

Back